Sicko

Anybody watch Sicko yet?

I’m gonna watch it tonight…  will report back in a couple of hours :wink:

Don’t admit to watching it! They might put you on the no-fly list!

i dont suppose you want to share a copy of it with a fellow hacking member do you?  i won’t tell the americans

CBC played a clip of Michael Moore saying he had no problem with people file-sharing or loaning copies of his movies. Unfortunately his distributor thinks different.

Well I just watched it and I have to say it’s pretty fricken good.

Who’s in the movie?  I really like Ashton Kucher.  Is he in the movie?  I also like Paris Hilton.  Is she in the movie?

[sarcasm]Paris Hilton is underrated[/sarcasm] :unamused:

Hey did I go to highschool with you??  :smiley:

Ms. Rice, is that you?  It looks like you! Everytime I see one of those classmates banner ads, I swear it’s you looking at me and telling me to do my homework.

So CTV ran a story on Sicko tonight. I guess Moore is stashing the negatives in Canada to keep them safe from rampaging neo-cons down there.
My God those Yanks will fight to the death for the rights of corporations won’t they?

This is a good movie.  Watched it last night.  I sure hope it’s shown in the US.  Canada isn’t perfect but at least it’s not the US.

one of the key differences between Canada and the US is that people in Canada who are perfectly capable of going to work and choose not to, get free health care, so those of us who work 3 jobs get to drag thier asses along.  Although i’m horrified by the Americans way of dealing with health, i’m ashamed at how we give people a free ride that dont’ deserve it.  now before you all lay into me, i’m not talking about those who can’t work, i’m talking about those who choose not to.  lazy bastards. 

While I too dislike the idea of people choosing not to work and mooching off those who do, I tend to look at it differently. I am proud that I live in a country that takes care of it’s own, even when they can’t or won’t. I’m proud that I live in a country made up of people with the courage to take care of each other, even when it comes out of their own pocket. Our system is far from perfect, and we should strive to make it better, but in the meantime I’m proud of what Canada has achieved.

well said mike…We are Canadians

Yes.  We have Harper…but…thankfully he isn’t as brain dead as Bush.  That’s not saying much as I don’t like Harper;-)

great rant…you should call molson canadian and sell them on why we love losers
maybe they will put it in the next beer ad

i don’t have a choice but to carry the lazy.  i get my ass taxed off and they get it regardless. 
i have no problem with our country taking care of our own, it’s when we have to drag those that just cant be bothered.  i find it difficult to believe you actually look at your cheque (and you have a gov job don’t you) and go ‘damn i feel great paying all those taxes and helping others, i sure couldn’t use the money i worked hard for’

Rollins, sadly you’d actually be paying MORE in income taxes in the USA.

It’s a myth that we pay more than the US.  Especially your average working family.  The only people who really pay a significantly larger amount of income tax in Canada than the US are the wealthy.

So if you were in the USA, not only would you be paying more, but your tax dollars would be going to service a huge debt, to pay for the military spending, and to pay for the fact that the rich pay a lot less.

And you still wouldn’t have free medical care. 

There was a nice study that compared some income tax rates for your average middle-class family in Ontario and your average middle-class family in New York state and New Jersey (I think).  It didn’t find a huge gap at all.

The USA spends more on its military than every other nation in the world combined.  Where does that money come from?

So yeah, move to the USA, where you don’t have to “carry the lazy” but you have to pay for the military.  Oh, and health care isn’t free.

You need to google to find some of the tax studies:

google.com/search?q=compare+ … and+canada

Now that the US dollar sucks, it may be even worse to be a tax-paying American.

[quote=“rollins”]
great rant…you should call molson canadian and sell them on why we love losers
maybe they will put it in the next beer ad

i don’t have a choice but to carry the lazy.  i get my ass taxed off and they get it regardless. 
i have no problem with our country taking care of our own, it’s when we have to drag those that just cant be bothered.  i find it difficult to believe you actually look at your cheque (and you have a gov job don’t you) and go ‘damn i feel great paying all those taxes and helping others, i sure couldn’t use the money i worked hard for’ [/quote]

I’m the one ranting? Hmm. Perhaps you should check the definition and compare your posts and mine to see which of us is actually ranting.

You do in fact have a choice. You can choose not to pay your taxes, or you can choose to move somewhere else. Myself, I choose to focus on the positive. If I do happen to ponder the taxes removed from my pay cheque (something I rarely dwell on ) I tend to think of the good they’re doing by helping people who otherwise might not be able to afford health care. I choose to do that because ultimately there is a very very small percentage of people who decide not to work on purpose. Focusing so much hate and energy on them gives them more power and attention than they deserve.

Am I fooling myself? Probably. There just isn’t enough time in my life to waste getting upset over something like this though. Focusing on the positive is a choice. I choose not to waste precious time getting upset over stupid stuff.

you talk like your the only one who has to pay taxes, this “i have no choice” b.s. .  get the fuck out if you dont like it here, nobody is chaining you to canada. there is a few billion people who would love to trade places with you.