Should the Recycling Depot stay open on Saturdays?

I had this email sent to me today and thought I would pass it along:

Jean Martin, who was a leader in getting our recycling depot going and who keeps track of it’s operation for our PR Environmental  Society has sounded an alarm.

The depot is cutting back hours to save money.  Jean thinks they are making a big mistake by choosing to close on Saturday instead of  Monday or another weekday. Saturday is a family recycling day and probably one of the depot’s higher volume days.

Please come out and support Jean and her presentation to the Skeena Queen Charlotte Regional District meeting Friday evening at 7:00 PM at the SQCRD office (on McBride between the video store and the courthouse.)  That’s this Friday April 16th.

If you can’t make it on Friday, but agree that the recycling depot should stay open on Saturdays, consider picking up the phone and giving the Regional District Office a call to tell them so: 250-624-2002.  That’s what I did!

saturday isnt a high volume day there . they get a lot of bottles cans etc from terrace and outer lying communities when they get the big trucks in is when they keep busy and they dont run on the weekends. yes saturday is busy for the 2 people there those days but not as high of a volume as you think

It seems like guitargirl is just passing along information–I don’t think she herself is making the claims.

I definitely think keeping it open on Saturdays and closing on a week day would be better for the public. If Saturday is indeed the highest volume day, I wonder if the recycling depot has more staff working to meet the volume–if that’s the case then they may have chosen Saturday to close because it means the biggest savings.

saturdays they employ 2 people. most likely want to close saturday because it wont affect the fulltimers i would guess

Boy that’s going to suck for regular families. For people who work Mon-Fri how the hell are they going to recycle stuff?

My thoughts exactly.  Saturday is the one day in the week when I have the time to recycle my stuff.

[quote=“CrazyMike”]
Boy that’s going to suck for regular families. For people who work Mon-Fri how the hell are they going to recycle stuff? [/quote]

They won’t.  The dump is still open on Saturdays, right?

If you have a moral backbone you would not dump recyclables in the dump out of convenience,pretty bold statement. Maybe they could have a late recycling day, say Wednesday open till 7pm.

[quote=“logboom”]
If you have a moral backbone you would not dump recyclables in the dump out of convenience,pretty bold statement. [/quote]

If you work and the recycling centre isn’t open when you’re not working, what option do you have?  It’s not convenience, it’s fact.  Not a “bold statement” – it’s fact.

If the recycling centre isn’t open, then it might as well not exist.  If I can’t recycle, then I have to dump the stuff.

And yes, I recycle on Saturdays.

What about remaining open late?. I realize you have No control over the decision, just wondering.

[quote=“logboom”]
What about remaining open late?. I realize you have No control over the decision, just wondering.[/quote]

Yes, a late opening would be ok, but Saturday would be better.

Guitargrrl, who should we complain to?  Is there a particular person at the regional district?

I tried to look up their website to see if I could e-mail somebody, but they seem to have recycled their website.  sqcrd.bc.ca/

I would be in the same boat as you Mig, my better half might be able to get it done but would need to have it all in the car and race there after work. And yes your previous statement is fact, sorry to get your hackles up this early.

Ah jees, it’s easy to get my hackles up. 

I also recycle on Saturday’s but  I use the local company Eco-Management to deliver my goods to the depot.  I hope they will collect on another day if the depot should choose to close saturday’s.

A call was just made to Helen at the Regional Distict, and at this point and time there are no plans to close the depot on Saturdays…

Please put this rumour to rest… 

Opps I just called and left a msg that if they need to curtail hours, how about opening later or closing early during the week?  Whats the info on curbside pickup I would def be interested in that as well.

so much for just using my garburator for food stuffs.

I would like curbside as well but I think it’s very expensive to implement… thus the delay in having it here… I think it was tried years ago if I remember and it just did not work out…

All of our recycle will just go to the dump if it’s closed Saturdays.

again there are no plans to close on Saturdays, I check this morning
who started this rumour?