Shopping in town Why?

Mr. Kurtz - helluva rant, nice job!! Decker - see ya on “the line” when I get old enough to be a Wal-Mart greeter, too! :smiley:

Thanks, oldymoldy…though in hindsight I think I may have been overly harsh in wishing traffic related mishaps to those who shop at Wal Mart.  I just feel strongly about the big box store phenomenon, after having seen it wreck so many smaller-town retail sectors.  I’m  trying to stick up for the mom and pop operations and promote Rupert economic solidarity. 

Also my Monday morning diatribes are generally pretty severe.  As you can see, I’m in a much more conciliatory mood today.

I am all for promoting the “Mom and Pop” operations but you have to agree that at the very least these big box stores offer employment to the community.  Something which unfortunately most of the smaller stores can’t and something that Rupert is in dire need of. I would like to see Rupert offer more of a diversity with the smaller stores.  I am not a teen or mid twenties and it would be nice to have a clothing store that sold more than hoodies and jeans. I love Reitmans but I think I have bought them out !  It seems a variation on a theme downtown :confused:

Yeah my lady and me go shoping some day and she is sometimes into buying sometin sexy but we end up having to save money for when we head to Terrace and hit some special shops. My lady likes special things but I am happy with my hoodie and leather baseball cap.

i mean if youy buying a quality product like a guitatr or an amp or anything with a motor rupert sucks for theese things always go to vancouver to buy quality products ,much better selection but other than quality products and electronics we have the same stores as anywhere else and surprisingly it is so cheap to live in prince rupert if you dont mind paying upwards of 1500 a month for an apartment then move to van but for us that enjoy having money to indulge in and perfect scenery the cheap housing of prince rupert will beat the shit out of tthe city life anyday so who cares if you have to go an a little vaccation to buy “quality products  for a good price” ill buy here whatever i may need and enjoy my cheap rent any day

If you count time as money, it’s cheaper to shop in Rupert. Traffic in Vancouver is insane. :confused: I’m just happy I have a u-pass that gets me places.

oh look, I’m rambling again.

Well if we may be looking at getting new stores or stores with a different flair well after reading some of  author=Turd_sandwich’s post I will support the idea of a new Street School anything which may help this poor individual, some teachers supply center something please. Or have you not noticed the Spell Check box at the bottom.

[quote=“Turd_sandwich”]
i mean if youy buying a quality product like a guitatr or an amp or anything with a motor rupert sucks for theese things always go to vancouver to buy quality products ,much better selection but other than quality products and electronics we have the same stores as anywhere else[/quote]

Buying in Vancouver, Terrace, and Prince Rupert = No differences other than burning more gas to get a “better deal”.

Also if you’re living in Vancouver, be prepared to spend more time and transport cost to get from home to store X just to buy a single item. Yes there’s more stuff here, but there’s also time and gas.

Just for the record, I am a Metro Vancouver resident.

And another thing, you only go to Terrace or Vancouver if you can’t find a specific item you want in Rupert. Even better, use the internet and save what’s left in the gas tank.

But we HAVE to get out of here once in awhile to save our sanity !  :wink:  I think we just say we’re off to shop so folks don’t know we’re on the edge !!

So true… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Pretty much the reason why I avoided the Superstore like a plague. Instead, drive an extra 10 minutes to Save-On so I don’t go mental when it comes to parking, shopping, check-out, and etc. O_O

I remember driving from Guilford to Metrotown to Langley to Abbotsford to discover NO Bay/Zellers/Sears/WalMart carried those size 40 jeans or 2XLT shirts.
Here’s something my gf can’t get her head around. XLT means extra-large tall. XLTG does not - it just means XL in english AND french…
Much like shopping for a car part down there, sit with the phone and call one place after another with the part number to see if they have it. Chances are no matter what store you drive to won’t.
BTW you just go to Moore’s in Abbotsford. In PG they’re too stupid to notice the town consists of millworkers, truckers, miners and just accept 99% of stock for tiny people. On the coast they have so damn many tiny people there’s lots of those XLTs in stock.
Little tiny munchkins with size 7 workboots and as they get older their bellies get bigger, and their arms and legs get shorter until they’re like beachballs. So you can try on a 6XL and it’s like wearing a tent with sleeves that barely make it past your elbow. Or find lots of 34" jeans with a 36" leg, but the 40" jeans all come in a 30" leg.
I normally wouldn’t carry on so, but somebody DID something with the wash and three of my shirts shrunk like 6" and won’t even tuck in anymore, and I’ve been hunting for something that fits since early December! RRRRRRRR!!!

Herbie… try Marks Workwear, they had some tall fits in there.

LOL, Little muchkins looking like beach balls, Herbie you need to take the show on the road!

As for laundry, just hide your shirts that’s what I do, every couple of weeks I do a super wash  of my shirts, no shrinkage, well at least for the laundry… 

so what your trying to say is your a bigger person?
try online you can find everything on there lol

Awesome. I look forward to seeing it.

[quote=“Mr.Kurtz”]
Wal Mart destroys communities.  What it does is suck up all the business out of the downtown core and help build urban sprawl while you pour your money into some fat American’s pocket.

If you are one of those people who drives to Terrace to feed the Wal Mart, you are one of those savagely ignorant, beyond-worthless people who is happily helping to destroy the world…

Wait till more of us are starving.

Seriously, this looks like such a little issue but its just a part of a much bigger and shadier picture.  Wal Mart sucks, and if you shop there you suck too.

Plus the lack of sunlight…

Sorry about the rant.  I like ranting. [/quote]

You’re referring to the “Walmart effectâ€