Server power blew

Another damn power outage and it looks like the power supply to my Dell 4760 dual Xeon server cooked. In spite of being on a UPS.
Power light is blinking amber: A device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed
diagnostic light B comes on: A possible power supply or power cable failure has occurred.

Took out video card, put in a simple old PCI - same. Removed RAM and tried 1,2, 4 GBs boots, same thing.
Unfortunately has a bunch of websites on it, and it’s a non-standard power supply that might take ages to find and get here. I have Ubuntu 10.04 server on it, wondering if there’s an easy solution like putting the drives into another system. I’ve never had much success with that, just gotten “kernel panic” errors & never had time to solve them…
Ideas?

Put the drives in another server see if it boots, if not grab another drive and install linux and whatever web components you need then mount the web/databse folders from the other drives, copy your apache configs over. That’s probably the easiest thing since you can just swap the drives back once you get a new power supply.

A live CD might work as well but obviously would be balls slow.

So how does electricity know how to pick the most expensive or hardest to service device to blow every time?

I know putting the drives in another won’t work. It had 2 Xeon CPUs, everything else I have is a dual or quad core.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]So how does electricity know how to pick the most expensive or hardest to service device to blow every time?

I know putting the drives in another won’t work. It had 2 Xeon CPUs, everything else I have is a dual or quad core.[/quote]

Well just go with plan b then and install linux and the web/database services, put the old drives in the ‘new’ server and mount the directories. As for the electricity… its the smart meter or something.

Can’t even get a power supply from Dell. Turns up on searches, but most are phoney search-again sites. The three I tried claimed to have them in stock but didn’t when I tried to order. Just kept getting madder as site after site was a re-search and Google “search in Canada” kept listing US sites first… !!!

whats the model on the server ?

Precision 470. HPU551FF3 p.supp.
Oddball thing

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Precision 470. HPU551FF3 p.supp.
Oddball thing[/quote]

ebay :smile:

ebay.ca/itm/Dell-J0602-Preci … 857wt_1297

parts are cheap, to bad that unit is SOOOOO OLD! lol.

After you get it up and running, id convert the os into a virutal image, and setup a virtual server with all your older equipment on it…

Like this,

One of our Dell servers died recently too. Also a power failure. Though in our case, it was a bug in the system.

Literally a bug. A moth.

http://i.imgur.com/NGyXKl.jpg

A real bug in the computer? That’s really old school.

I’ll bet that bug came in through the windows…

I’d just blame it on the new smart meter and send them the bill. I know I am. Might have to get a new laptop after my place received its wonderful smart meter. Not sure if it just fried my power cable or the whole computer. The plug in directly behind where my smart meter sites is outside my house where my laptop was plugged into also no longer works.

Your outlets aren’t wired directly into your smart meter they got to the circuit panel first which then connects to the meter base… so if the swap was to do any damage all of your electronics that were plugged in would have been damaged… unless of course the outlet you were plugged into had a faulty circuit breaker then guess whos fault that is.

I’m no fan of smart meters but lets be realistic about it. They arent going to give you cancer but they are a major privacy violation and the cost is ridiculous.

I have had the outlet replaced and the guy said it wasn’t faulty at all.

well, unfortunately shit happens. Solar flares and what not. You wont get a dime from hydro so get yourself a cheap ups fix your laptop/get a new one and call it a day.

Might give these folks a try, serversupply.com/MFGR/DELL/POWER%20SUPPLY/

x

[quote=“DHCollins”]Might give these folks a try, serversupply.com/MFGR/DELL/POWER%20SUPPLY/

x[/quote]

Over priced parts, and i posted a link the psu he needs…

[quote=“jase”]

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Precision 470. HPU551FF3 p.supp.
Oddball thing[/quote]

After you get it up and running, id convert the os into a virutal image, and setup a virtual server with all your older equipment on it…

Like this,

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-I5W8eIiUP0E/T4Bu6aybyKI/AAAAAAAAPwU/s6ZTxSUyTzY/s912/DSCN0363.JPG[/quote]

Why a virtual server? To make it hardware independent? I don’t necessarily disagree if that’s your reasoning but virtual servers just for the sake of virtual servers doesnt make much sense.

[quote=“jesus”]

Like this,

Why a virtual server? To make it hardware independent? I don’t necessarily disagree if that’s your reasoning but virtual servers just for the sake of virtual servers doesnt make much sense.[/quote]

if he vitalized all the “OLD” servers that he has, that are EOL and have no support then he can save on power space, and gain uptime and less headaches…

[quote=“jase”]
if he vitalized all the “OLD” servers that he has, that are EOL and have no support then he can save on power space, and gain uptime and less headaches…[/quote]

Until the new hardware fails and takes down all his old servers instead of one. I’m sure if budget was not an issue for herbie he’d already have replaced the server instead of trying to source a power supply.

Personally I’m of the opinion that consolidation of servers via virtualization is only a good plan if you have redundancy built in and thats often hard to do on a budget. I would suggest a new server (like you said) and use the “old” for failover then rinse and repeat as budget allows.