Server power blew

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“jase”]
if he vitalized all the “OLD” servers that he has, that are EOL and have no support then he can save on power space, and gain uptime and less headaches…[/quote]

Until the new hardware fails and takes down all his old servers instead of one. I’m sure if budget was not an issue for herbie he’d already have replaced the server instead of trying to source a power supply.

Personally I’m of the opinion that consolidation of servers via virtualization is only a good plan if you have redundancy built in and thats often hard to do on a budget. I would suggest a new server (like you said) and use the “old” for failover then rinse and repeat as budget allows.[/quote]

I was thinking he had more than one server, since he’s always talking about servers email and websites. That one dell server he is having problems with, uses more power than my whole rack does :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“jase”]
I was thinking he had more than one server, since he’s always talking about servers email and websites. That one dell server he is having problems with, uses more power than my whole rack does :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

He does I’ve seen the setup. Virtualization would be a good plan once he decides to upgrade the hardware but he needs to keep the old server around for redundancy or buy two servers. It’s definitely time for a migration plan though since its become a pita to find replacement parts.

In case anyone wants to know what transpired, I stuck the drives into a quad core 6600 box and it booted up fine. Automatically added the new onboard NICs and all I had to do was transfer the IP to eth3.
First time I’ve seen Ubuntu transfer to a new motherboard successfully.
And today they’re calling:

My website is down
No it isn’t
Someone said it was down last week.
Go look at it.
How do I DO that?

Times three so far… plus the guy who thought his (Telus) Internet didn’t work because he heard we were out of business and the TEACHER griping “our Internet” was making the College’s mail come up with “temporarily offline for repairs”. I give up!

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]In case anyone wants to know what transpired, I stuck the drives into a quad core 6600 box and it booted up fine. Automatically added the new onboard NICs and all I had to do was transfer the IP to eth3.

My website is down
No it isn’t
Go look at it.
How do I DO that?

Times three so far… plus the guy who thought his (Telus) Internet didn’t work because he heard we were out of business and the TEACHER griping “our Internet” was making the College’s mail come up with “temporarily offline for repairs”. I give up![/quote]

You need to set up an asterisk box with a screaming monkeys extension (part of the asterisk sound package) and transfer the screaming monkeys that phone to said extension so they can hear what they sound like.

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]In case anyone wants to know what transpired, I stuck the drives into a quad core 6600 box and it booted up fine. Automatically added the new onboard NICs and all I had to do was transfer the IP to eth3.

My website is down
No it isn’t
Go look at it.
How do I DO that?

Times three so far… plus the guy who thought his (Telus) Internet didn’t work because he heard we were out of business and the TEACHER griping “our Internet” was making the College’s mail come up with “temporarily offline for repairs”. I give up![/quote]

You need to set up an asterisk box with a screaming monkeys extension (part of the asterisk sound package) and transfer the screaming monkeys that phone to said extension so they can hear what they sound like.[/quote]

We need a like button for this :smile: LOL I need to put 3cx back on line, then order my yeahlink phones…

Callout this afternoon.
The website is down. The email is down.
I guess so, the ancient computer could barely boot. Missing dozens of system files, XP Pro hack, Firefox 3.5, Avast updated last in 2010… stopped working as they wouldn’t pay for a proper fix. You could Google, but none of the links worked. Of course it was a business…

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Callout this afternoon.
The website is down. The email is down.
I guess so, the ancient computer could barely boot. Missing dozens of system files, XP Pro hack, Firefox 3.5, Avast updated last in 2010… stopped working as they wouldn’t pay for a proper fix. You could Google, but none of the links worked. Of course it was a business…[/quote]

weird, sounds normal…