Semaphore timeout period?

hmm…i left my comp running all night as usual yesterday, when i got back i couldnt access any of my 120 gig hds that are connected to a promise ata133 controller (along with 2 other hds).

windows kept saying “the semaphore timeout period expired”

so i go and reboot…as my comp is shutting down…i get an error for 1 of the 120 gigs saying “delayed write failed, data lost”

after the reboot…both drives appear in my explorer, yet i cant access them, windows says they arent formatted…one of my drives was empty so i go and try format that, as soon as it starts, my comp reboots. i’ve tried various ways to format the hd, all of failed…anyone know whats up?

VIRUS!

your fuxored, its from all the pr0n you got on there… aint it :unamused:

Guess they didn’t keep their promise.

for a moment there i thought that maybe i could get some reasonable input on this :confused:

yeah I quit asking serious questions on here, no one seems to wanna listen to the serious stuff. So instead I started pondering the small stuff in life. Like for example, while I was basking in the sun today. I came to a realization that horse tails are actually bum hairs.

Are you doing any sharing on those drives?

Windows XP?

[quote="-Nate-"]hmm…i left my comp running all night as usual yesterday, when i got back i couldnt access any of my 120 gig hds that are connected to a promise ata133 controller (along with 2 other hds).

windows kept saying “the semaphore timeout period expired”

so i go and reboot…as my comp is shutting down…i get an error for 1 of the 120 gigs saying “delayed write failed, data lost”

after the reboot…both drives appear in my explorer, yet i cant access them, windows says they arent formatted…one of my drives was empty so i go and try format that, as soon as it starts, my comp reboots. i’ve tried various ways to format the hd, all of failed…anyone know whats up?[/quote]

It could be a bunch of things, but I’d start with the website for the manufactures of the HDDs and get their HDD diagnostic software. You may have to connect the HDDs to the motherboard to allow the software to detect them.

I was having that issue one time after I had just installed Win2K. I hadn’t installed any drivers or anything. I reinstalled Win2k again, and everything was fine. The only difference was when asked what filesystem I wanted to use, I started was FAT and then later after everything was installed, I upgrade to NTFS.

windows xp…not sharing anything…

another weird note…when i tried the old school bootable floppy format i got a message saying it cannot format network drives.

[quote="-Nate-"]windows xp…not sharing anything…

another weird note…when i tried the old school bootable floppy format i got a message saying it cannot format network drives.[/quote]

Some Win boot disks allocate some ram and turn it into a drive to store uncompressed utilities. I think you’ll get that message if you try to format that drive or drives that are NTFS. If you’re running NTFS on your boot drive, when you use an old school boot disk, the RAMDRIVE gets assigned to C: or D: (or the next available drive letter)

[quote=“alistair”]

[quote="-Nate-"]windows xp…not sharing anything…

another weird note…when i tried the old school bootable floppy format i got a message saying it cannot format network drives.[/quote]

Some Win boot disks allocate some ram and turn it into a drive to store uncompressed utilities. I think you’ll get that message if you try to format that drive or drives that are NTFS. If you’re running NTFS on your boot drive, when you use an old school boot disk, the RAMDRIVE gets assigned to C: or D: (or the next available drive letter)[/quote]

i downloaded a custom 98se (no ramdrive) boot disk…and my drives were fat32

I think there’s something else going on, another layer or something. Are you using software RAID or something?

no raid…

i tried googling for a bit and all i found was stuff on raid and network servers, both of which arent involved in this particular situation…

How about taking the drives out and partitioning and formatting on another computer?

thats what im gonna try tomorrow…after connecting them to the motherboard maybe…kinda sucks to lose 100+ gigs of stuff

First: if you can boot up, check for viruses… anything else will just end up making it shut down if sasser got u. google ‘sasser symantec’ for fxsasser.
no point in trying harder until you’re sure you’re virus free.

Then if you still have probs with other drives update the Promise drivers. They’re AWFUL until they’re up and running properly. If they’re not working it may be off and looking for your other drives as mapped ones…

Then get rid of Fat32. Dowload & burn a copy of BartPE for emergency booting. Mine has stinger - macafee & adaware added into it. Handy.

Why do you need multiple 120s? thats a lot to lose…

he has to raided derives in parallel so that way he can save his data but in this case it failed… : O ( that sux eh…this is why i had a dvd-r burner… on my laptop i had it partitioned 2 times. one for the os and one for the files. such as mail safari downloads and my documents would sync at night… then at the end of the week i would back up only that partition… i made the partition only 4.4gigs so that way i would never have to worry about to much data on the drive and would not be able to back up… got-a love them dvd-r’s… cant wait to get a g5 now. : O)

k so i took the 120 gig that was pretty much full and connected it straight to my mobo…

i still had the same problems…so i tried one more thing, i used windows 98’s scandisk with the bootdisk…the scan basically took all night, and oddly enough, thousands of crosslinked/truncated files later its up and running again…with little file loss, i lost a bit of stuff but it wasnt important at all.

Semaphore… i remember that from Boy Scouts

^|L> help i’ve been dragged into the bush by the remnants of a british imperialist cult and forced to shit in a trench>L^

Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta.