Re: Web Server Help?

osx server is very easy. :stuck_out_tongue:

jase

To each their own I guess.  I prefer portable os independent web applications to applications tied to a specific workstation.  Our current management system is powered by a sql database that gets populated by the customer  when they sign up. allowing us to take that information and automate about 90% of the installation and configuration process.

If the damn software companies would provide a proper api for their licensing weā€™d be able to automate everything.

RODOPI ?
We were approached to install that system when we first started up. Unfortunately it was about $5000 six years ago. Couldnā€™t warrant $20 a sub just for the billing - signup software.

Nope, all of our billing, ticketing and CRM software is in house.  Currently our provisioning system is just a pxe boot imaging system (im not a fan). 

I am in the process of testing a new system that actually installs the OS (Linux and windows) instead of imaging. Less maintenance (installs from updated mirrors), ability to install on new hardware (physical/Virtual) without making new images etc.

Once Iā€™ve worked out the last few kinks we will be able to plug it into our DB and when the customer signs up it will automatically pxe boot the server, install the OS and applications the customer specified.  After the OS and applications are installed I have some  scripts that log in make sure everythings working, sort of automated quality control if you will.

The major remaining kink is the GM and his reluctance to move to new systems.  I could understand that if the current one wasnā€™t so buggy and high maintenance.

PS: this is not the project I am not allowed to talk about it is just one of my ā€œsideā€ projects. Iā€™m still not allowed to talk about the other one :wink:

Do you offer clients any server based web-authoring software? Iā€™m looking into that but donā€™t know much about it.

Nope, weā€™re a wholesale hosting provider so we stay away from that kind of thing. The closest we get is Cpanel/Plesk.  A lot of our clients seem to offer sitebuilder  though so Iā€™d assume thats a decent solution.