Re: Web Server Help?

I love Osx Server :stuck_out_tongue:

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Whats it serving? as your workstation?

FTP HTTP AFP and storage for files,

Pissing about for 2 days with an inherited x-Windoze server. What a pain! The buyer was a shareholder in our outfit so scared of conflict-of-interest she bought everything from PG… ripped off over and over.
eg: wanted a good laptop and paid $3000 for a ‘custom built’ laptop. Yeah, it was a white-label Asus (which she specifically said she DIDN’T want), it was used, the o/b NIC and wireless were dead, etc. etc…
The server had a Promise RAID controller card, and RAID was already on the mobo. Only 256MB, the IDEs were jumpered to master… what a fuckup.

Anyway it’s now Gutsy LAMP Server. And it will be again after I redo it ass-backwards and install the server stuff AFTER the desktop version. Like give it up already and put Gnome onto the server versions.

Don’t you just love some one elses FUCK UP and shitty work, i feel for you man, wish i was there to help ya.

Jase

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
Like give it up already and put Gnome onto the server versions. [/quote]

Two of my most important servers (ie: I will be shot if they die) are running the barebones Ubuntu version.  You download the mini.iso (7 megs or so) and boot with that.  It formats your drives and installs the bootloader and networking.  Everything else you do with apt-get.

Super light system with no surprises.  The only stuff on the server is stuff you explicitly install.

So yeah, no Gnome on my server versions, please.  Even better, nothing on my server versions, please.  I’ll install what I need.

I dont agree with you often but  :sunglasses:

Right on!  That’s why I like to install Debian.  A nice text based installer and I install exactly what I need.  On my Ubuntu and Debian boxes I use aptitude as well as apt-get.  I also like sysinstall on FreeBSD and the curses based installer on Slackware. :sunglasses:

The Gusty server edition install has LAMP as a choice. One click, it’s done.

hi new to this sight and have no idea how to post something on my own so here i am.I was wanting to know about cable high speed,when got my cable high speed the installer just took the modem right out of a new box hooked right to my tv cable line and i had highspeed  he did nothing extra to my computer just turned on the box.So i was thinking that because all you need is that box from a cable line can i just buy my own box and plug it in our is way more to it?

Why would you want a windowing environment on a server?

I thought it was “in vogue” to remotely-administer your headless server?

HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH,

Just leave it alone, your better off that way.

Where I am working we have windoze servers, have to, they have all kinds of third party software they use that is all windows with no linux versions so we have been stuck using them for the past five years. I was somewhat skeptical of them at first, but they have been rock solid stable machines for the entire time, one is a dell, the other an ibm e, they both run windows 2000 server. We use roaming profiles and have five shared printer and two shared canon photocopier/printers, servers run school administration software called maplewood and library database called follet. The maplewood is quite complex and our secretary has a bit of a hard time with it, I find it a bit “glitchy”, the follet is also very complex, a real headache to get it set up properly but it seems to run fine once its properly configured. I have been the admin for five years so I have had a decent amount of time to evaluate the windows server and its been fine, I think windows developed a really bad reputation back in the NT days and it has stayed with them, when in reality 2000 server is just as stable as my bsd box at home, they arnt as bad as most people think they are it has just become trendy to hate them.

That is a good point, however you are the admin it also helps having some one know that they are doing to manage them, most of the times it’s retards managing them that curse and swear them, look at jims server it has been up for atleast 10 years, so it all depends what kinda SHIT you install on it, and how well you keep it maintained.

On the other hand i like Osx server :stuck_out_tongue:

And you don’t run it thru a DOS prompt do you?
I find Server2000 somewhat annoying and picky setting up users & permissions. Also had a competitor who used an NT machine for his ISP web and mail server while I had Mandrake 5 or something. Used to see him cursing and pulling his hair thru the window every Friday night as I went to the bar.
But know what? I even had K Desktop on that one!
I like to know when I go on holiday the 17 yr old working for me knows to go to the GREEN server (yes my server ‘crayon’ rack has each one a different color) click ADD and enter the username, password and real name in the approprite fields and click DONE.
I aint teaching them all to
ssh servername
su -
adduser username
passwd username
ps -aux and look for raddb
kill -HUP 3xxx
cd /etc /raddb
nano or vi users
copy & paste block with new username
then mess with SQL…

Forget it! Point click. And forget writing them a custom perl script. The tools are there and they’re free. Use 'em.

I always found it ironic that people who complain about the price of Macs always seem to insist on Windows servers (not you ChrisJ). 

How much is Microsoft SQL server versus Postgres or mySQL?
How much is an unlimited Windows server license anyway?

You could automate that entire process with a simple shell script… in fact you wouldnt believe the automation we do with shell scripting. From automated OS deployments to basic server troubleshooting.

There is absolutely no reason to have a gui on a linux server. Write a damn web interface if you are having pebkac problems. X windows is senseless overhead.

It’s already there, don’t have to write squat. You’re arguing ‘senseless overhead’ in a Windows Vista world…
$22 Gig, who cares anymore?
( my mailservers don’t have GUIs… they actually have to work ,hard. )

More code = more bugs = more crashes. Not to mention obvious security concerns etc.  It is senseless overhead in more respects than just resource utilization.

True.

At the actual server’s terminal.

Only if the added functions don’t gain you anything.

Both input methods have evolved
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
WTF is that? That’s easier than clicking the yes’s & no’s to install Windoze. But when you run in the real world of Johnny McWackle and Dhebbi Starshine who can’t read, write, file, count back change, or even configure LimeWire you adapt the input method.*
Not saying that’s why I like GUIs, I’ve just used one since BSD’s desktop for Commodore64 (even before the Mac). Windows uses it, and it sells like servers like crazy. Never tried a Mac server.

*or close it off so only you or an elite ‘guild’ can manage it.