Re: To My Crest Family; vote Liberal in order to maintain employment

After seeing Herb’s sign’s 20 feet high this morning, the first thing that crossed my mind was hey he got a raise, here Herby put more sign’s up.  But I must say I love the cartoon faces that are appearing on them… Im wondering also if Campbell really now’s how much money Herb is spending… guess we will find out at the end…remember people Herb does things on his own… Ex. hiring people in city hall with out asking or taking it to the rest of the councel members.

[quote=“guitargrrl”]
Whose responsibility is it to take down all the election signs?  I’m assuming each party will collect their own, but there were a bunch of Herb signs in the bushes below the stairs between Rushbrook and Overlook . . . are those ones going to get picked up I wonder? [/quote]

Oh, c’mon, Herb’s signs are 'biodegradable", remember? The ones in the bushes will break down in - oh - 40 or 60 years.

I found this in the CharlottAfter six years as Mayor I’m used to having statements taken out of context and twisted with untrue comments.
I have never advocated that Islanders could live with barge service only. This claim by Mr. Hillier is not true. I did join with Queen Charlotte Island leaders in lobbying for increased air and barge service in the aftermath of the tragic sinking of the Queen of the North.
Because of the hit northern tourism was taking with reduced ferry service until a replacement vessel was found, the BC Liberal government provided $400,000 to northern tourism associations, which included Haida Gwaii. These organizations made up of tourism operators decided how to use this money. It is not true that I or Prince Rupert City Council made the decision to hold a fish derby.
I look forward to working with all North Coast Tourism operators to attract more business to the region.
Yours Truly
Herb Pond
Prince Rupert

e paper this morning:

Well, he does mention that a vote for the Liberals will allow the Crest to “continue to grow and OFFER STEADY EMPLOYMENT” so he’s at least implying that work could be cut back or some jobs may be lost if the NDP gets in. Not only is he trying to instill job security fear in all of his employees but he has also undoubtedly made any employee voting NDP quite uncomfortable - that’s not very good management.

Maybe Pond campaign bought a certain amount of signs hoping to get more in yards…Had a lot left over…plastered the town with the leftovers…AND The viewpoint out by the Butze Rapids Trail AND The Viewpoint at Galloways bridge. Gee, I go out to these trails to get away not to be visually assaulted by the elections. 

Sorry to be off subject, and yeah Employers should not even get involved with politics and involving their employees directly or indirectly

[quote=“HotmailDOTCom”]
Why has no one mentioned how the Prince Rupert teaching union used union dues/payments from their employee base to support the Gary Coons NDP campaign WITHOUT asking their employee base for their thoughts.  I know SEVERAL teachers that are ROYALLY pissed off about this.  [/quote]

Why has no one mentioned it?  Because it’s not true.  I was at the meeting where this was voted on, and it was attended so well that there weren’t enough chairs for everyone.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many teachers attend a union meeting.

So you can stop repeating this falsehood.  If the “SEVERAL” teachers you are talking about didn’t bother to show up to a meeting, then they don’t get to complain.

So yes, you absolutely wrong on this one.  The members of the PRDTU voted that the union support Gary Coons.  The PRDTU didn’t tell them to.

No, there is nothing “wrong” with Mr Smith’s letter to his employees telling them how he is going to vote and “trying to sway some voters who may be undecided on his staff”. But when an employer does that is there any real dialogue? Is there equal opportunity? Words seem to escape us, as one Liberal poster suggests with refreshing candour:

… or maybe a little presumptuous.

I do not know the circumstances of the teachers’ and nurses’ union campaign efforts; “countless NDP flyers, leaflets that are stuffed in their mailboxes at work 24/7”, a nurse alledgedly being “hounded all the time”, “union reps pushing her”, “pressure from work” and so on.

I think it highly unlikely, though, that the union’s political choices were not approved though democratic processes. I have not belonged to a union for many years, but I have been to union hall meetings where those very issues were debated and voted on. What MiG says in the above post rings true to me.

The other difference is that if an employer tries to influence employees’ votes there is not much they can do about it, given the power imbalance of the workplace, unless an employer gets too carried away and human rights protection comes into play.

In a union, in contrast, if a member does not like what the union or its reps do or say there is opportunity to say something. If a member tells a union rep that they disagree or even stronger words there is precious little the union can do about it. And if a union tries to get deny a member their right to speak on a matter, an “unfair  representation” complaint can be brought to the LRB against the union. I know that for a fact as well. A union is a very different organization than the Crest Hotel; not really comparable at all. 

I think guitargirl has a genuine environmental concern. I would suspect that the Pond campaign has an accurate record of the empty lots and vacant land where they put up signs, such that there can be a recovery effort once the unpleasantness is over.

[quote=“HotmailDOTCom”]
Even if this was voted on, it is still ridiculous that a union is using union dues to support a political party.  Not ALL teachers support the NDP and it is RIDICULOUS that their union dues are being used to support a political party platform that they do not agree with.[/quote]

It was voted on, and it was passed unanimously.  If people don’t agree with it, then they need to vote against it.  None did. 

Well to be fair, the pressure not to rock the boat with a union local is probably the same pressure not to contradict your boss and his efforts to seek your vote.  So it’s not surprising that there wouldn’t be too much in the way of nays there.

The big difference is, at the end of the day, the boss probably has a bit more impact on whether you are keeping your job or how your work conditions will progress, though if things get out of hand you could go to the union for help I guess… :wink:

My experience has been that in unions naysaying is a proud and noble tradition that elected executives must heed or suffer through as the case may be.

I think that many union members pick and choose which items they wish to challenge their unions on, backing a candidate for office probably isn’t high on their list as opposed to strike mandates or quests for benefit packages, hence my suggestion that in the scheme of things many wouldn’t make a big deal out of this particular item.

… probably true in this case, and I suspect that many teachers and nurses agree with the union opposing government policy that is seen as unfavourable, much like industry associations do. My point is that there is a lot more freedom of speech in the union hall than is typical of workplaces. Members who disagree with their union’s political positions really should go to the meetings and voice their concerns rather than complain about not being consulted.

I am a union member and as far as I remember my membership is voluntarily.  I those teachers don’t like what their union is doing for them then they should leave it.

And then enjoy life as a pariah!

Actually, if you want to teach in a public school in BC you have to belong to the BCTF.  So our membership is mandatory.  So, as MiG said earlier, if a teacher didn’t like having their union fees going towards a particular party or candidate they should attend the union meetings and make their voices heard.

I

I don’t think that’s the case.  Principals teach part of their time in the schools and they are not members of the BCTF.
The Teaching Profession Act doesn’t mention any union membership requirements nor does the BC College of Teachers make it a requirement for certification.

I’m pretty sure that when you’re employed alongside unionized people doing the same job as them you’re required to be a union member–if this isn’t the case I’ve never heard of an exception.

I was with Steelworkers Union some years ago working at a minesite.  At that time you could opt out of the union.  You were paid union rate but had no benefits such as medical, life insurance, travel, etc nor the benefits of shop stewards, grievance procedures.  With a workforce of 600+, there was probably less than a dozen who opted out.

Some unions allow dues to be given to charity instead of the union, if one is opting out of membership.
I wonder how Mr Smith would receive a letter informing him that if he didn’t vote for the Green Party he wasn’t looking far enough into the future and his great grandchildren would be paying for that lack of support… signed, Sincerely Employee?
As a union member, I’m informed that my vote is better cast on the NDP. I don’t have a say in my dues being used to generate information I don’t believe in. As a peon/shop steward I have no say other than to express my displeasure. But I also realize I have to give up a piece for the benefit of the whole.  I just wish they’d support Green instead:)