Re: Tipping?

Look at it this way:

Restaurants have a lot of competition when it comes to attracting customers away from greasy fast-food joints that are both fast and cheap. If you compare, you can get a shit ass meal from McDicks for $5 and get it in 1 minute. Go to a sit-down restaurant and get a usually (great) meal with more food for $9 and wait about 20 minutes. People will usually choose McDicks if they’re in a hurry or if they’re cheap or want something to go. So, given that McDonalds pays their employees minimum wage and make a lot of money whereas restaurants pay their employees minimum wage too (because they make less money), employees aren’t going to want to wait tables and deal with retard customers for minimum wage so instead of going to work for some “typical” minimum wage place (mcdicks, walmart, etc.) they hope their customers, who they serve, will leave a tip.

For the customer, you pay more for your meal, and you wait longer for your meal, but you get a much better meal and a much better experience. That evens it out. To even out the fact that your food, drinks, condiments etc. are brought to you and you’re cleaned up after, you leave a tip for the person.

Make sense? I hope so, you cheap bastards :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, so because I provide a service, help people find whatever they need, clean up after them when they so rudely leave clothes EVERYWHERE, let their kids roam freely around the store and get their greasy fingerprints all over everything, and spill things all over the floor… by your logic I should be recieving tips for it?? SWEET!

I’ll make sure I leave a big sign that says “We now accept tips” at the cash counter :unamused:

I do that too, except replace the word clothes with shoes and replace spill stuff with puke on stuff and you’ve got my job. I don’t get tips either.

Waiters and waitresses do make a lot of money but instead of complain, you’re a girl; go get a job as a waitress.

She’s actually not allowed to leave the shoe store, because otherwise I won’t be able to buy shoes.

[quote=“Daniel”]It all depends on what the waitress looks like.
waiters get 15%[/quote]

:exclamation: yup

I’ll tip a hot chick $10 for a $50+ dinner unless she gives crappy service. Then she gets !#%* all.

I delivered chinese food for a while- a while back. Unless you’re working at like Breakers or the Crest (or a bar) you get a low wage and tips really make a big difference.

:exclamation: and it just occurred to me I really hate the word “supper.” :confused: :laughing:

Just because I’m a girl, doesn’t mean I’m hot and capable of pulling in the “cleavage tips.” I’ll keep my job thanks.

[quote=“smartass”]

Just because I’m a girl, doesn’t mean I’m hot and capable of pulling in the “cleavage tips.” I’ll keep my job thanks.[/quote]

pics? :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

ASL?

:laughing: I don’t just tip for cleavage

Several higher end hotels / restaurants / bars I have been to in Vancouver and elsewhere now have the 15% ‘gratuity’ factored right into the bill, the staff take it for granted and often stop delivering a service worthy of a tip. The first time I experienced this, being a fairly generous tipper in general I had already left a tip and so ended up tipping like 40% on an already overpriced meal and beers, and barely acceptable service, I was quite P/O’d.

but i bet the waitress was hot and you went back :laughing:

No, the restaurant just happened to be in the hotel I was staying in and was nothing more than convenient, the waitress about average, but there is a bit more incentive to tip better when tavelling on an expense account.

I tip depending on the food and the service, not the apearance of the waitress. I was at the Harbour Center revolving resturant one time in Vancouver and the bill was just under $100. The food was great and the service was awesome. I left a $30 tip and it was worth every penny. The waitress held your chair out for you and even layed out a napkin on your lap. She was also very polite and courtious. I would recomend this place to anyone who wants to impress their date.

I ate at a Mexican restaurant in downtown Vancouver once. The food was bad and the service was non-existant. I waited for twenty minutes for my meal with an empty beer sitting in front of me. When the meal finally arrived, I asked for another beer. By the time I finished my meal, my second beer still hadn’t arrived. I left a six cent tip. I thought it would be more insulting than no tip at all.

And then you really make sure they understand by saying “your tip is on the table!”

Tipping at restaurants helps young women pay for college and/or support their kids.  Waitressing is one of the few jobs where that is possible for women without a completed education.  Men, on the other hand, have more medium income jobs in construction, fishing etc. available to them that traditionally are harder for women to aquire.  That’s starting to change, but there are still a LOT of women who rely on tips to get by.  You simply cannot support children or pay for school on minimum wage.  And that’s why I think we should tip.  A community shouldn’t be “every man for himself”.  Every time you do something positive for someone else, like a nice tip, you contribute to your community in a positive way.

ps: That’s right boys, I’m back…

I understand that these waitresses, mostly women, need extra income to support themselves and to put food on their kids table. I just don’t like how the culture of it has evloved to the point where the customer is expected to dish out at least 10% of my bill to the server. I have my own family to look after.

[quote]Economics of Tipping
I’ve written a couple of times about how I find the whole process of tipping in this country to be irritating. There is absolutely no logical framework you can come up with to say why we are expected to tip restaurant workers but not, say, retail workers. Tipping has long, long ago passed the point where it was a practice to reward good service and has instead become a way for employers to shift the burden of paying wages to their employees onto their customers.

Unfortunately, restaurants and other service establishments have twisted this act of reward and generosity into having customers pay the wages of their staff. Restaurants are simultaneously increasing tipping expectations (from 15% to 20%+) while requiring tips on more and more occasions by building them automatically into the bill[/quote]

Welcome back Nixie…You all settled into your nest in our rainy little town??

And thats my problem how?  if they earn a tip they will get it if not it’s their own damn fault their kid didnt eat isnt it. 

Honestly she probably should have thought about whether she could support the kid before she had one.

I am not saying a community should be “every man for himself” but I am not going to give my hard earned money to some chick who couldnt keep her pants on when she didnt earn it.

If she wants to earn money because she cant keep her pants on there’s another trade she can take up.

Mr. Pink, is that you?

Let me guess, next you’re going to rub your thumb and index finger together and quote this line, “Do you know what this is? Its the world’s smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.”

[quote=“jesus”]If she wants to earn money because she cant keep her pants on there’s another trade she can take up.
[/quote]

Boy, if this isn’t a blatant example of flame bait I’d like to know what is…