Re: Tipping?

Well, I was doin’ some reading last night trying to find the origins of tipping, nada, though north americans seem to be the only ones who tip, not exclusively, in the states it’s usually 15 to 20 % regardless of quality of service they say. Aussies find it weird that we tip. Hell I find it weird that we tip. Coffee shops really crack me up, a tip jar at the counter? for what? I know these waitreses who get really ticked off when people don’t tip. I mean come on, not everyone makes, ahem, close to 1600 + a month waitressing and collecting tips, all for doing what they were paid to do in the first place. Hmmmm hope i’m not sounding like a cheap…i think i will start tipping my janitor…

This one time, a waitress was leaning over the table and me, picking up empties and, in a wonderful moment of spontaneity, I shoved my face into her ample breasts. I was expecting a slap but she just gasped and gave me one of those “oh, you!” smiles. So, yeah, I tipped her.

No guts, no glory!! Well done my friend!!! :smiley:

Were you in a Bailey’s commercial?

[quote=“BigThumb”]

Were you in a Bailey’s commercial?[/quote]

I wish! Actually, it was in the Rupert hotel pub, a couple of years ago. I won’t say who the waitress was because she got married, like, three or four months ago.

Are you a dirty old man, pervert?? :laughing:

Sounds like the Bill Clinton type.

[quote=“poolboy”]

Were you in a Bailey’s commercial?

I wish! Actually, it was in the Rupert hotel pub, a couple of years ago. I won’t say who the waitress was because she got married, like, three or four months ago.[/quote]

Well you pretty much just said it there. I don’t know her off hand, but I’m sure it wouldn’t take much digging… You scoundel!

POOLBOY!!!
I was going thru the tipping forum, and i definately know who the waitress at the rupert pub was…but she doesn’t work there anymore…right? And she’s very well endowed…right? Her name starts with a P_ _ _ _ _…and she got married to a guy named R _ _ _ _ _ _

Tipping for me all depends on how my wallet looks… If I serisouly cant afford it, I wont tip… besides they already make more money than me. What I dont understand now, is why do they have tipping feature on the debit machine at the new liqour store… I REFUSE to tip for that… I sell stuff all day long out of a STORE as well, and I don’t get tips, nor do expect any tips. Hundreds of other people in the same possition I’m in. It’s kinda funny how they try to get tips out of you there too, like its expected that you tip them… it makes me pretty angry. They’re not serving you anything… the ring up the item, and take your money… hardly worth tipping. When I do tip though, its usually $5.

Tipping at a checkout counter?? That’s ridiculous!

. . . unless she rubs her tits in your face.

[quote=“poolboy”]Tipping at a checkout counter?? That’s ridiculous!

. . . unless she rubs her tits in your face.[/quote]

I think I might have told this story once before, but I figure I might as well again. A friend of mine went to an all-you-can-eat sushi place in Vancouver called Tampopo. He said that the sushi wasn’t exactly the freshest (though still edible), and the waitresses were slow and rude. To cap it all off, when my friend asked a waiter to break a $20, the guy got a look on his face like my friend had just called his mother a whore. Then when he brought the money to my friend, my friend held his hand out to take it, but the guy just threw the money on the table.

So natrually, my friends thought to himself that if these guys weren’t going to at least be polite, they didn’t deserve a tip. As they were walking out of the restaurant, the guy came back and started yelling “hey! Where is tip? You must pay tip!”

And then he yelled out “what country are you from?”

Now, I don’t mind tipping if someone’s making an effort. Hell, you don’t even have to do anything particularly special either–just be polite, apologize if something goes wronge, and try to smile. But I think that our society has gotten such a sense of entitlement that some people think things should be just handed to them without earning them first.

[quote=“Stardog Champion”]

[quote=“poolboy”]Tipping at a checkout counter?? That’s ridiculous!

. . . unless she rubs her tits in your face.[/quote]

I think I might have told this story once before, but I figure I might as well again. A friend of mine went to an all-you-can-eat sushi place in Vancouver called Tampopo. He said that the sushi wasn’t exactly the freshest (though still edible), and the waitresses were slow and rude. To cap it all off, when my friend asked a waiter to break a $20, the guy got a look on his face like my friend had just called his mother a whore. Then when he brought the money to my friend, my friend held his hand out to take it, but the guy just threw the money on the table.

So natrually, my friends thought to himself that if these guys weren’t going to at least be polite, they didn’t deserve a tip. As they were walking out of the restaurant, the guy came back and started yelling “hey! Where is tip? You must pay tip!”

And then he yelled out “what country are you from?”

Now, I don’t mind tipping if someone’s making an effort. Hell, you don’t even have to do anything particularly special either–just be polite, apologize if something goes wronge, and try to smile. But I think that our society has gotten such a sense of entitlement that some people think things should be just handed to them without earning them first.[/quote]

Funny, based on your quote, I was expecting some sort of tits-in-face story.

You mean hoping for a tits-in-your-face story, don’t you Eso?

What, so I live vicariously through HTMF.

I usually tip like $2 on an $8 meal. That’s like 25%, and when I think about it, waiters and waitresses do make a LOT of money from tips. I know a waiter and when we were hanging out at our friend’s house, he pulled $400 out of his pocket… all of it tips from the last week and a half or something. On top of that he works like 60 hours a week just bringing people food and doing some basic cooking.

I guess at times it makes sense. Like, if the waiter/waitress is real nice then hell yeah tip them. And if some person is giving the waiter/waitress shit for the bad food, that makes absolutely no sense, that’s like at work when people get pissed off at me because we don’t have a specific shoe in my size. What do they want me to do? Go into the back and make a pair? I’m just there to help them find the size, and if we don’t have it, I get my hair ripped off. I should get tips…

Also… cooks get jack shit for tips. My sister’s bf is a cook and they get something like 10% of the tip jar split up between all the cooks. The other 80% goes to waitresses and maybe the last 10% goes to the hosts.

I’ve actually got a friend who is planning on going to school to become a dental hygienist and she actually considered NOT going because she knows a lady who makes something like $6,000 per month waitressing in Alberta. That’s $72,000 per year for a job where you don’t need a university degree, college diploma, anything. Just a tolerance of annoying people, charisma, and usually good looks.

you put the tips on her tray because she has no clothes on or what?

If we stop rewarding chicks for being hot and pretending they might sleep with us, then the terrorists have won.

It’s true, In Alberta people do tip, it’s strange cause up here the trend has not caught on, when I was bartending during the last flames palyoff run in 04 I was working in DT calgary, and on game nights, I usually walked out with 6 - 8 hun, and i’m a guy, the girls there were pulling over $1000/night.

I have to pass that one on. Just finished posting my response to what seems like male futility at times on my blog when I saw that.

So it sounds unanimous…we all think with with the wrong head when tipping? I’ve quit tipping myself, why the hell should i fork out my hard earned money? why should anyone? that’s crazy bloody money they make! all for doing a job they are paid to do, and then get rewarded by getting more money. A waitress once said to me…“what no tip?” to which i replied…“wanna tip…don’t ask for tips” :open_mouth: