Re: New store in the mall

I don't know if many of you will remember, or had ever seen the beautiful park that they destroyed in order to build this stupid mall, what a crime. I mean it's a moot point now but CN park was one of the nicest parks I had ever seen and would have or could have become the focul point for the entire city for years to come, but instead in thier ultimate wisdom they decided to bulldoze it to build this monstrosity of a steel box with no windows even facing the waterfront all in the name of progress and greed. CN sold the property to the City of PR for one dollar, the city then sold the property to the developer to build the mall who made millions in the process. Then years later the city paid to build mariners park which is only a small fraction of what the original CN park was. And the mall could have been built almost anywhere, talk about being short sighted.

I never had the opertunity to see CN park with my own eyes, But i could imagine it was a whole lot nicer then the dump the built on it.

CN park was cool. It had a fountain in the middle of a small pond and dragon flies so big, you could see the expressions on their faces! Me and my friends used to take those waxed cardboard boxes and slide down the grass hills on them. And there was a bridge, much like the one that goes from Mariners Park to the water taxi, which led to the train station.

It was also a pretty popular place for drinking and banging drunk girls. Sigh. What have we become?

[quote=“VMS”]

no there are windows but most of them are covered up by walls

in the old radio shack location the managers office had a window looking out

Also where Sight and Sound used to be, where the place that Smartass works now I believe, is all windows too, but the walls cover them up.

I recall going into Sight and Sound and seeing windows and having a nice view from there.[/quote]

Oui… there’s windows behind the walls in our back room, and there’s also a hallway that goes behind the back wall of the store that has windows there as well. If you look at the back side of the mall from the waterfront, you can see there’s windows there, but from the inside they are all covered up. I think the Royal Bank is the only merchant that has windows you can see out of on the upper floor.

[quote=“HotmailDOTCom”]

Anyone know which store is moving into the old Saan store space?[/quote]

Yep I do :stuck_out_tongue: It was discussed at a Mall Meeting last week. It’s a place that will be taking up the Saan, Shutter Shack/Prints Rupert, and the Four Season’s Flowers old spaces. Pretty big spot.

[quote=“smartass”]

Oui… there’s windows behind the walls in our back room, and there’s also a hallway that goes behind the back wall of the store that has windows there as well. If you look at the back side of the mall from the waterfront, you can see there’s windows there, but from the inside they are all covered up. I think the Royal Bank is the only merchant that has windows you can see out of on the upper floor.[/quote]

Wow, I just totally had a flashback because of this post. I remember the windows overlooking the harbour in that space. There was for a very short period of time a t-shirt printing business in there which stretched out to that window. I got a t-shirt printed for my dad at that store 8)

[quote=“HotmailDOTCom”]

[quote=“smartass”]

Yep I do :stuck_out_tongue: It was discussed at a Mall Meeting last week. It’s a place that will be taking up the Saan, Shutter Shack/Prints Rupert, and the Four Season’s Flowers old spaces. Pretty big spot.

Are you allowed to say? That is ALOT of space to take up if you ask me. Is it a chain type store or is it some random local thing?

Any dates on when it might be open? Or when renovations will start?[/quote]

Its another furniture store.

[quote=“Delirious”]

[quote=“HotmailDOTCom”]

Are you allowed to say? That is ALOT of space to take up if you ask me. Is it a chain type store or is it some random local thing?

Any dates on when it might be open? Or when renovations will start?

Its another furniture store.[/quote]

No it’s not. The business apparently moving into that spot is NOT a furniture store. It might have some furniture in it… but it’s not primarily a furniture store.

I’m not going to state the actual name of the store because I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be public knowledge or not yet. Stay tuned.

It’s a chain store… the closest one is in Prince George.

I’m not mentioning the name of the store because this was said in a mall meeting, and I don’t remember if it was on or off the record at the time.

My guess is Winners.

Guuuuuuess again.

London Drugs.

My guess: Liquidation World? I suppose you won’t be able to confirm it for now, but that’s my guess.

ooooh good guesses. You may or may not have mentioned it :stuck_out_tongue:

This is fun… it’s like my own game of “where is it” that I’m not too stupid to play!

Except that you are eventually going to have to cough up the answer - and provide more clues than “maybe, maybe not …”!

Is this store in a place where the seasons are opposite to those of Canada?

Value Village would be awesome. I alway go in there to look for clothes for my son when I’m in PG.

Mike

Can’t see it being the Bay, since Zellers is already the main anchor of the mall. London Drugs is probably not in the mix either as they require an outside door for the late night shopping thing, though who knows maybe they’ll leave a window open and put a ladder against the outside wall for the dedicated shoppers.

Can’t see Future Shop in a mall they like their Big Box set ups, don’t think we’re trendy enough nor large enough to support a Jysk.

So by process of elimination

It’s Probably Value Village which just sounds like the kind of place that would land in our town.

[quote=“HotmailDOTCom”]To add I checked the websites of Liquidation World, Jysk, Futureshop and Value Village and there is no mention anywhere of a possible future store here in Rupert.

Also smartass you mentioned that another store may be moving into the Old Dollar Store space (the old A Buck or Two space or the old Bentley/$Store Space next to No.1).

Do you know what type of store this is (clothing, shoes, other ect) and if it is a chain or independent.[/quote]

I don’t think a name was ever mentioned, only the fact that a furniture store was looking at the location of the old Dollar Store… or was it Buck or 2? I completely forgot already that there was also a Dollar Store (or Buck or 2) in the Bentley spot. Which one was in which spot?

Anyways, the place I’m referring to in this post, is the storefront closest to the 2nd set of doors on the main level of the mall… where CP Air and Air Canada used to check in. But everything about that spot is still up in the air… it was all preliminary as of a couple weeks ago.

But back to the fun… it’s not Value Village.

Is Creative Systems still around ?