Re: Crooks!

I think you should check again. If you order a product online in Vancouver and a product online in Prince Rupert, do you really pay the same? You might purchase it for the same dollar amount but by the time it gets delivered to your door do you still think you are paying the same? When you buy something at a brick and mortar store the cost, sans tax, are all wrapped up in a single number for you. Online merchants have to itemize all the charges because of the nature of the beast. So it only looks like you are paying the same. Add to that some online merchants will get your postal code from you before offering you a price, or worse identify you through your IP to know what price “categoryâ€

a long time back I bought a printer from Van, it was around $130.00 and that was with shipping. I went to the local defunct computer store they had it in stock but at double the price, they would not even try and match what I could get it for in Van.

You need to look around and yes some item you buy of eBay have over the top shipping. Always ask.  I try to buy Canadian but at times I have bought from the states and over sea’s with out too many problems I ask the seller to ships postal instead of UPS or other types of carriers.

I did NOT say that you pay the same, I said the items are the same price. If I walk into the Walmart in Terrace, I might see a Sony TV… let’s call the model the X1000. At Walmart in Terrace the X1000 might go for $1559.99 at the counter. If I went to a Walmart in Edmonton, that same TV would almost certainly be $1559.99. Yes, it costs me more, but my point was that part of branding is consolidating prices throughout the entire chain.

That was what I was trying to say to you originally. You said:

First of all, I’m not sure your statement is true. Just driving between Parksville and Victoria I saw huge changes in gas prices.

However, assuming that you’ve witnessed solid prices where you are, I attribute it to branding.

Esso wants you to buy their gas, but they want to make every penny they can from you as well. As such, a mainstream company such as that wouldn’t go above the competition, but wouldn’t go below either. Why? By your own admission gas isn’t like any other commodity.

If I reallllly want that X1000 Sony TV, I can choose to buy it–but I don’t NEED it. I could choose a smaller screen TV, or a TV from a less established brand to save me money. If I want to drive home, though, and my tank is empty, I MUST fill it with gas.

To continue driving we NEED gasoline, and that’s how gas companies are able to continue making money without having to compete with the station down the block.