Re: Crooks!

I know the official line is there is no price fixing in the world of gasoline, but i would love someone to explain to me how the average price of gasoline increased only 6 cents per gallon in the US because of hurricane ike, but 12 cents PER LITRE in Prince Rupert. With 3.8 litres to the gallon, gas went up about 800 per cent more in Rupert then the average increase around the US. Add to it that while the impact on the US is understandable (25 per cent of oil refining capcity in the states is in texas), prince rupert gas is refined in Alberta – in fact local companies have used disruptions in Alberta as a rationale for high local prices in the past.

Something doesn’t quite seem right…

Or how is it in every town all the prices are exactly the same. And go up and down at the same time too. I cant think of any other comodity that is like that. But no … they dont collude against the consumer.

You’re surprised that the Esso, Shell, or Petrocan in Terrace changes prices at the same rate and (roughly) time as the Esso, Shell, or Petrocan in Rupert?

Would you be surprised if a television at Walmart in Terrace cost the same as the same television at a Walmart in Nova Scotia?

Gas prices in Vancouver have dropped by about 8 cents per litre tonight, according to BCTV news.  Lets hope they follow in Rupert…but I’m not going to hold my breath!  :unamused:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2562/77churchmarqeefightuv5.jpg

No competition at the wholesale level = all gas stations who buy from the same wholesaler pay the same price.  Some gas stations don’t even buy from the wholesaler, they just sell on consignment. 

Local stations have no control over their prices, but get to take the heat.  The real problem is no competition for wholesale and refinery operators.

Remember that price war in Ontario a few years ago?  Someone figured they could buy gas in the UK and ship it to Ontario cheaper than they could buy it from a wholesaler in Ontario.

Right, Walmart doesn’t compete with itself. 

I would be surprised if the same television at WalMart in Terrace cost the same price as CostCo in Nova Scotia.  Add different television manufacturers to the mix, and you’ll get even more price differentiation.

The problem with gasoline in most of Canada is that it usually only comes from one source.  The source gets to control the price.

Well, by your logic a Mcains frozen pizza should cost the same at Safeway, Save On, or Extra Foods. Does it? Even soda pop has some variation to it. Can you think of any other product that happens to have the exact same price structure at all retail channels?

I would be surprised if a T.V. at Walmart in Terrace cost the same as a T.V. in Nova Scotia. Perhaps I should have said with in every small town. I would hope that trsportation costs alone ( re: the price of gas ) would create some variety in the price from place to place.

the gas station in terrace is not raising prices until monday. 138.9 but 150.9 on monday :angry:

We got the same warning here 132.9 -> 147.9 Monday morning.
PG just went from 136.9 -> 147.9 today

Well that’s great finally Rupert is ahead of the pack for something… :confused:

Filled up in the Fort today, took my daughter back to PG. Filled up again soon as I got back for 132.9.
Hooterville’s already cranked their gas to $147.9

Just add this to the list. Prices are being raised because they CAN.
25 years of Tories and budget trimming Liberals have gutted any semblance of consumer protection. Even Harper commented on the fact it looked like there was no justification for the gouge, three days before they raised it in BC. Showed him who’s boss, didn’t they?
The Tories (and the Libs) are OWNED by the corporations, just like the Democrats and Republicans in the US.

[quote=“Kid Havoc”]
Well, by your logic a Mcains frozen pizza should cost the same at Safeway, Save On, or Extra Foods. Does it? Even soda pop has some variation to it. Can you think of any other product that happens to have the exact same price structure at all retail channels?[/quote]

No, that’s not what my logic points towards at all. What I’m saying is that a McCain’s Frozen Pizza will cost the same at the Safeway in Terrace AND the Safeway in Prince Rupert. Businesses don’t compete with themselves.

Prepare for surprise, then. Why do you think you can shop online from anywhere in the country and get a TV shipped to you for XX price by Futureshop? Every store carries extremely similar products and the products that are the same have the same price.

As usual, your full of shit. The prices in the big box stores out here are damn near half the cost for most any product you choose to compare as opposed to Rupert or Terrace. For example I bought a pair of newbalance cross trainers in terrace for 112.99 six months ago, the same pair are 59.99 here and they will sell you a second pair for half price so I got two pairs of the identical shoe for less than half of what  cost me there AND the price of fuel here is 12 cents cheaper even after the increase, 1.36 right now was 1.26 till the other night. northern bc gets completely screwed by the merchants, they know they have you all bent over a barrel so they slide it in deep. whoever coined the term “let the buyer beware” was most likely living in northern bc and bleeding from the ass.

Um, considering that oil is well below $100/barrel now, there’s no reason for these crazy gas prices.  Other than no competition at the wholesale and refinery level.

Oil prices didn’t go up because of the hurricane, they actually fell.

6 months ago dumbass… those shoes will now be $59.99 at any store that follows market trends.  It’s very rare for a shoe to not go on sale half price after that long!  And BuyOne GetOne Half Price is done in almost every retail store now… not just the ones in Ontario.  It’s fricken Back To School pricing still… stores need to get rid of the clearance to make room for the new stuff!

haha our family back in the early 80’s owned a store and man mark up on shoe’s is something like 100% to 300%, so shoes at today market,  that cost $90.00 to $150.00, were bought for $20.00 to $50.00. so even a sale like buy one get one for a penny or buy one get one for 1/2 price you still were making money. 

Sorry smartass not picking on you but all retail stores have huge mark up’s from cost. that’s how business make money.

Oh I know that… the markup now isn’t quite 300% though.  When a shoe goes to half price on sale, then you get another pair for half price with BOGO… the company isn’t making any money… it’s just time to get rid of the old to make room for the new.  It’s like that with anything.  It costs little to produce food and we all pay the markup on that too!!

You guys should live in the real world sometime.
Prices at SaveOn or Superstore are slightly different in the same store, according to the nieghbourhood the store is in. Not on the flyer stuff, on the regular items.
Prices in those big box electronic stores are entirely misleading, they all learned from Cdn Tire years ago. Try to find one even Tuesday afternoon. All 3 were sold Monday when the doors opened. Or read the line of print so tiny you can barely see it “includes manufacturer rebate” and you actually need to shell out $100 more at the till.
And stop quoting online prices. Of course they’re less. No landlord gets rent. No employees get jobs. No one gets business taxes or Chamber fees, and they don’t donate shit for your local kids baseball team.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”] and they don’t donate shit for your local kids baseball team.
[/quote]

You donate shit to baseball teams. It’s no wonder you always complain about how slow business is. If someone gave me shit I’d stop supporting that business too. lol