Re: Crooks!

Holy $@*&ing Gas Prices Batman!!

$150.9 all over town!  :angry:

bcgasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=A

WTF?!  Dang.  I just gassed up a few days ago at Chevron and it was $1.38 for 87.

Something to do with hurricane Ike?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Its still bullshit that we have to suffer because of a storm several thousand miles away!  We have our own oil and refineries…

Correction:  we have no competition in the refinery and wholesale level.  No competition means they set whatever price they like, and you pay it. 

They just have to keep it at a level where they can claim “market forces” otherwise, the government steps in and regulates prices like they do with electricity and natural gas.

Take some delight in the fact I am currently paying £1.40 a litre for Diesel here in the UK, so $2.80…

The province here has  a rule that the price of gas is adjusted once a week.  So every Thursday, the gas prices go up or down.  I put some in earlier this week at 129.9 cents.  Then it went down on Thursday at 126.9 cents.  But the gas stations got a “special permission” to increase the price because of Ike.  Boy did they ever:  a 13 cents jump to 139.9 this morning.  I think it’s the biggest jump I’ve seen here. 

I like how when the price/barrel goes up a few bucks, we immediately see a jump at the pump, but there is no corresponding decline when the price/barrel drops.

1.26.9???

Sheesh where are you living, Iran, Kuwait?

How long does a tank of fuel last you there?  Seeing as the place is so densely populated and is a smaller area I can’t imagine that you would have to drive as far to get anywhere.

We have to drive 90 miles or 150km just to get to a decent department store.

If you strip the taxes off our prices and UK prices, then the UK prices are probably cheaper.

It’s meant to be expensive, to make other methods of transportation more attractive.

That’s quite a hurricane. It’s so powerful that it made the gas in the station tanks, the gas they already paid for, go up in price.

Swings and roundabouts I guess… It takes me 30 minutes to get to work, most of that is town driving, on a clear run, i can do it in 10… ust get used to sitting in traffic!

Everything I have is here, but mostly Safeway sized supermarkets (obviously, more of them and a bit bigger).

But when I was in Vancouver a week ago, fuel costs weren’t that much different there… and can there really be much justification for every litre that I buy, you will get 2?

Road Tax doesnt help much either… Most 4x4’s, trucks, minivans etc you have there… maybe around £500 a year from next Jan! Im sitting here being ripped off by taxes!

It would have cost me £250 to get to Heathrow Airport to get my flight if I’d travelled by train, but just £80 in fuel, and £60 for 2 weeks parking, and at least I got a seat in my own car! They could do with improving the services over here, as well as reducing the price, cos god knows I didnt fancy the drive when I returned!

I know where I’d much rather be, and its just not just for fuel :smile:

Where do you live that it costs £250 to get to Heathrow?

Far enough away to need to get the first train of the day to make a 1pm flight… which only has overly expensive fares, and I’ve included the £30 Heathrow Express ride too!

[quote=“Grockle”]
It would have cost me £250 to get to Heathrow Airport to get my flight if I’d travelled by train, but just £80 in fuel, and £60 for 2 weeks parking, and at least I got a seat in my own car! They could do with improving the services over here, as well as reducing the price, cos god knows I didnt fancy the drive when I returned![/quote]

You can fly from Vancouver to Heathrow for £250 if you catch a good sale or charter :wink:

That’s about what it also costs from Rupert to Vancouver sometimes.

We spent some time in Newfoundland this summer, and saved a bundle by driving to Calgary and flying from there.  Even with gas, parking and hotels factored in, we saved a bunch.

Don’t think I’ve ever payed less that £1000 to fly from Heathrow to Rupert (via Vancouver of course… Still working on getting the to fly direct!!) infact, my last trip cost me the same to just get to Vancouver, but Im usually pretty guilty of booking late!

I was going to go for a cheap £250 flight, but glad I didn’t, Zoom went bust while I was there! And being quite tall, the lack of legroom kills me for 9 hours!

Rail travel is quite expensive over here, though I can fly to Paris for 50p, shame Tax and Fuel Surcharges bring that up to a whole £20 :smile:

Yeah - I’ve said it here before, but I will try not to complain about the price of diesel here until we end up with prices like the rest of the world (mainly Europe).  The most I’ve paid so far for diesel (in Rupert) was 1.55.9 - but I haven’t had to fuel up in just over 2 weeks, so I’m not sure what it will be at in the next couple of weeks when I use up the last half of the tank.

What do you drive, Grockle?