Re: Crappy pings again

3593 down 4729 up Vancouver

5227 down 3501 up to Calgary

SaskaTel connection.
I’ve just given up downloading anything on my Telus based work connections. The “PRO” 2.5 has been running about 128-390 Kb as low as 32Kb up since before Xmas, the 4 Meg one’s never tested over 2.0 Meg. All the tracerts bog after the reseller’s router in PG
All the outfits I resold the ADSLs to are complaining. 4.0 pipe’s maxing at 900K, etc. Had a couple quit and go Telus and tell me how much better it is. Same friggin circuits, only the VLAN changes. They even measure the same with speedtest, but cold facts right there in their face don’t fool them. Brand names with tv ads fool them.
(Hell if you rant and rave and make an ass of yourself, go a week with no internet at your business cuz ‘they’ missed their install date, changed all your e-mail addresses you had for ten years cuz you  changed your ISP and you can’t send on someone else’s server with that ISP, had to call in a $100 an hour tech and pay $250 travel time (cuz the guy you spazzed out at is the local tech) to reconfigure the whole office’s Outlooks, the LAST thing your gonna do is admit you fucked up cuz your asshole is bigger than your brain and your now paying $20 a month more for the same thing with poorer support.

Money’s short this month. Guess who’s getting paid first.

Citytel?  Eat your heart out:

LOL, great picture, hankaspanka!! :smiley:

well i guess ill switch back to dial-up

Oooo I remember dialup… once our ISP had twin ‘load balanced’ 56K frame relays for main pipes…
wow!

We sold our house/hobby farm and moved to town and got 40k instead of 26.4… my daughters first words were 'holy shit I downloaded four whole songs overnite

LMAO. :smiley:
Dial-up blows dead goats.  I remember I once had a mwave 28.8 modem on a P 150 IBM with windows 95.  A less than acceptable surfing experience…shudder.  Great land fill material (oops that was politically incorrect). :smiley:

Those were the days I had an Amiga4000 in the backroom doing all the publishing work. I used it to debug the dialups as it logged and listed everystep of the way. According to it, none of the dial-in lines and modems were ever defective, not answering, or handshaking improperly. Yet 95% of my day  was helping Win95 users make their dialups work. Pissed me off Amiga never has a decent browser, though.

These days I still have 200 rural dialup users. Not one has learned since 1995 that if everytime it snows, melts, or rains heavy and the dialups disconnect it’s their shitty trailer wiring. Every single one calls every single time and asks what’s wrong with the server. 

Cool.  Now you’re taking me back, herbie.  Back to the days of crappy modems and the text based Internet.  Heh, Netscape 1.0 would fit on one floppy disk.  Netscape 3.04 was awesome…then IE killed Netscape.  I remember using the free version of Eudora as my e-mail client of choice, that was quite good.  When broadband came to Citytel it took me quite some time to get full ADSL (Greg and company finally got sick of me bugging them). :smiley:
Hmmmmm…things seem a bit better now, not as much of a ping lag.

I’ve always wondered if HTMF is lynx friendly.

#                                                                          hackingthemainframe.com - Index (p1 of 3)

#RSS RSS help search contents

Prince Rupert’s Web Forum

* Home Help Search HTMF Photo Gallery  subscribe to HTMF Login Register

Welcome Guest, please login or register. (Need another activation e-mail?)
  username: _________  password: __________ [1 Hour] login

Welcome to HTMF, where Prince Rupert comes to argue about important stuff.

45067 Posts in 3775 Topics by 609 Members
  Latest Member: anupthapa87

Search: ____________________  Search  Advanced search

+  hackingthemainframe.com
  Recent Topics
  Recent Posts
  [Prince Rupert Forum] Citywest speed problems (January 2007) by Eso Today at 09:52:50 AM
  [Questions and Answers] who was it by Dave Today at 09:27:51 AM
  [Prince Rupert Forum] Pot/Man Holes up and down 3rd by hitest Today at 06:00:58 AM
  [Prince Rupert Forum] High Risk Sex Offender-Public Interest Notification by Astrothug Yesterday at
  10:59:32 PM
  [General Chat] Where is this? #14 by BigThumb Yesterday at 05:05:35 PM
  [Questions and Answers] eBay / Paypal Refund… by hankaspanka Yesterday at 03:15:10 PM
  [Prince Rupert Forum] Now Playing at the htmf Cineplex by ThePodunkian January 19, 2007, 09:04:25 PM
  Recent Posts
  Users Online
  Users Online 22 Guests, 3 Users
  Users active in past 15 minutes:
  yngwie_69, jleaman, hitest
  General Forums
  No New Posts General Chat
  Any topic is fine in here 16397 Posts in
  1167 Topics Last post on Yesterday at 05:05:35 PM
  in Re: Where is this? #14 by BigThumb
  No New Posts Prince Rupert Forum
  Forum for discussion of topics concerning Prince Rupert 11009 Posts in

[quote][/quote]

I just watched Mike Judge’s IDIOCRACY last night…  the vacant drooling expressions reminded me so much of work

But Brawndo has electrolytes : but plants need water!
Water? Like from the toilet? Haw haw haw!

But Telus has free antivirus : but AVG is free and doesn’t cost $4 a month
Not anymore you liar. The popup said so! : But if you read the second button it says "get the free version"
Read? Haw haw haw! Are you sum kinda fag? Haw haw haw!

Oh yeah.  I remmeber being so excited to hear that Kaien Computer Solutions was offering Internet service.  I was one of the first people in town to sign up.  Back then, they gave you a floppy disk with Eudora, a bunch of clients for things like FTP, IRC, and even Gopher (that was horrible!) and some El Cheapo web browser, the name of which I can’t even remember.  It made Netscape 1.0 and even the old Mosaic look good.

At the time I only had a 14.4 kbps modem, and I thought that was pretty cool.  Then again, back then web pages were small enough to download over that relatively quickly, and there were no MP3s or DIVX files to download.

Then when I went to Uvic, I moved into their cluster housing on campus.  Each room was connected to their T1 line via a network.  My roommate one year had an FTP server set up on his machine with MP3s.  (This was before Napster)  One day, his network connection conked out, even though the other connections were just fine, and he couldn’t figure out why,.

A few hours later, campus security showed up at our door.  Apparently, UVic network services got a call from either some record company or maybe RIAA alerting them to his activities.  They basically told him to either delete the files and hand over any CD-ROMS containing copies of the MP3s or face permanent loss of his network privileges and a civil suit.  Poor guy.

Then I came here, and despite being such a world leader in technology, Japan had no residential broadband service.  I had to go back to the old 28.8 modems.  It wasn’t until 2002 or so that Yahoo teamed up with an investment firm to roll out widespread broadband service.

Okay, enough reminiscing about the good old bad old days.  Back to work. :wink:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d102/hitest/lynx_htmf.jpg

ugg.
http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/results_img.php?test=FU4EDY1T29I

http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/results_img.php?test=C52VACJNRID :neutral_face:

http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/results_img.php?test=FR37PEYEU67

Mine is sorta back to normal…  WoW is working fine, torrents are full speed, and web-surfing is fast.

I have 2-meg old-school DSL, so it should be 256 KB/s max.  So it’s about half of what it should be.  The upload speed is faster than it used to be, so perhaps things have been reversed :wink:

Also, I’m using KUbuntu on a Dell notebook.  Awesome.

Mig how do you set the host and server  to be rupert.net

I don’t.

I guess the speedguide.net people just use some reverse DNS stuff on my IP?

Your upload exceeds normal specs;
Telus ADSL
1.5 Mb - 512Kb
2.5 Mb - 768Kb
4.0Mb - 1.0 Mb

I was on the phone w my resale counterpart in Mackenzie today, same complaints from their customers, same complaints from Telus customers.
Went home at 5:40 tonight, the 2.5Mb cct was downloading MRTG-XTRA at 14Kb - 25Kb was halfway thru a 16Mb download after about 20 mins…

Citywest has oversold there bandwith, the fibre is in place but it isnt connected into terrace so ntohing is going threw. Its not Telus