Re: Barking dog is driving me nuts

There is absoloutely no reason to use violence with your dog. I loathe those reverse spike collars and I wish whole heartedly that anyone purchasing one would be put on some sort of an abuse watch to make sure the owners actually know how to use it. I’ve seen dogs get badly hurt because their idiot owners don’t know how to use the goddamed collars.

Your dog needs to learn to be calm submissive with you. They’re pack animals, that’s how they thrive. If your dog is at the bottom of the totem pole in regards to dominance, etc, then you likely have a very well behaved dog. But you shouldn’t aquire dominance with violence. Fear based training doesn’t work in my eyes. Eventually, depending on the dog, it will snap.

kinda thought you might have something to say . News paper rolled up or a piece of bamboo with the end split will not hurt the dog the noise it makes when you whack your dog and saying no at the same time works.also if you use a choke chain all the time to control your dogs pulling can cause irreversible damage to your dogs throat.As far as the spike collar goes, a gentle tug and the words heel does not add up to violence* .But anyway you can have your own opinion on how to raise your dog .I’m not saying my way is the gospel just had a few large dogs and one pit bull that are well behaved and not hand shy,violent or afraid .*

blah blah blah and you should never need to smack your child on the ass blah blah blah.

Sorry but you’re wrong and your theories do not apply to all cases.  Sometimes a dog requires a smack to get their attention which is MUCH different than using violence or beating them.

Just like some children do not require a smack on the ass and some do (i was one of those that did, shocking I know.)

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]
There is absoloutely no reason to use violence with your dog. I loathe those reverse spike collars and I wish whole heartedly that anyone purchasing one would be put on some sort of an abuse watch to make sure the owners actually know how to use it. I’ve seen dogs get badly hurt because their idiot owners don’t know how to use the goddamed collars.

Your dog needs to learn to be calm submissive with you. They’re pack animals, that’s how they thrive. [/quote]

If a dog was in the wild when, would it be a pack animal?I have never seen a wolf with a pouch!!! a kangaroo maybe ! and If you have seen a dog hurt by a spike collar* I hope you called the proper authorities.*

Just a thought here but maybe the owners should field test all these practices and experience first hand what pain and discomfort they are causing their pet !  Guaranteed, you may think twice !

What breed do you have codybear ? do you even have  a dog? or you just got something to say about everything .You seem quite opinionated,must come from your line of work…your way or the highway.

Unfortunately, no, I lost my beautiful dog 7 years ago and no, I live in a suite and am unable to have a dog now.  I wish I could.  Oh, my dog was a Newfie and weighed in at over 135 lbs. and he was a well behaved and much beloved pup !  As far as my job is concerned, where does that come from?  It seems you like to attack everyone here who has an opinion contrary to your own.  First Bubbasteve and now me.  What’s up?

I did not attack bubba stieve i believe her except for the part about the spike collar, she makes sense and her way works for her and her breed[labs have a certain manerisim that they want to please ! .If you put in the time with them they seem very smart ] ,you on the other hand don’t have a dog just an opinion.

thought u had a rotty cross!                                                                               

Nope, not me!  Wish I did, love rotties !!  My dog was 3/4 Newfie and 1/4 Shep. Beautiful Boy !!

I was house/dog sitting for a freind.  They have two rotties, just inder a year old.
They stay in the garage when no one is home.  They have half of a three car garage, thats kennelled.
I would take them out for walks through the big garage doors as to not track mud, dirt and snow through the house.
One night after been out watching a hockey game a guy knocks on the door.
He tells me he’s a neighbour and found the 2 rottys a few blocks away in a park that afternoon.
I am thinking he’s on glue.  I tell him no there still in the garage and nothing would indicate that.
He says hold on I will tell ya the whole story…

Well he knows the dog and manages to leash em and brings them home.
When he walks up the driveway he notices the garage door open…
AND then he finds the garage door opener in the middle of the garage with a single tooth mark on it!!!
I didnt kennel them…only put them in the garage…AND left the opener on the work bench!!!
Well one of the FAT heads grabbed the opener and opened the door…
Good thing no one called police or pound…
Try and explain that to the owners…

hahaha…funny story… love to hear more stories…I’ll start a new thread

Regarding the “pincher” if you really don’t know wtf you are doing this is Almost what the pinch wounds look like…((Pic I Found On-line))I have seen this before and is not a nice site. the person used it once (so she said) the vet that I was around believed her as it’s fur was not “rubbed” off from the metal like a choke chain or color will do after long periods of time. The owner of the really nice dog was very distraught and the dog ended up being sedated (pardon spelling)and ended up with Many Stitches.  Each to their own. I have my rotti, when I first got him at age 5 or 6, He had NO leash manners. I used a pincher for latterly 2 seconds as he fought More with me cause of the pain. Each person does have there own out look. And No one can say “YAY” or “NAY” to much on hear about training there dogs on this page just because. No one Visually seen anyone train the dogs…Some Believe Noise training, ((slap a piece of rolled up news paper on the desk))  Some don’t…and alot of people believe in WAY different Unique active ways of training…

there is a reason prong collars are illegal in most parts of great britain. Because stupid ppl resort to lazy stupid tactics to train their pets. Mainly using fear, pain and all around negative reinforcement.

If you think your dog respects you for using these methods you are definitely wrong. There are many papers out on that exact subject. Short version is they view you as a volatile leader, capable of unpredictable behaviour. In wolf packs this occassionally happens when the alpha is suddenly taken out of the pack (by sickness or accident) and another young/agressive male rises up the ranks too quickly. What usually happens is the pack eventually, in part or in whole, turns on this leader.
You can rule a dog with fear of punishment but if he is a dominent dog…he will eventually challenge you…or as the media likes to call it ‘turn on you’.
You only need to look at the headlines of pitbulls attacking their owners. All with good reason and the fault squarely at the feet of the fools who own them and ‘train’ them.

If you wish to truely understand your dogs behaviour and the best ways in which to train it…then educate yourself. You owe it to your dog…your community and to yourself

Well my pup and I are headed to school this weekend.  Jan Palmer is running a series of obedience training classes starting Saturday.