RCMP shoot dog

[quote=“KevW”]Onward and forward people…let it go…next subject please!!
Unfortunate yes…honest mistake definitely…forgive already.

Kev[/quote]

I’m okay with folks venting. I think both sides of the issue are well represented in this thread.

You have a point Hitest…I agree it is getting interesting especially after Moss’s post. I’ve
lived here 3 years and haven’t even seen a wolf.

Heard today that a dog was attacked in its yard on India yesterday and trap has been set by CO’s at the ravine near 10th. Trapping and relocating might be a better plan than shooting wolves.

You cannot trap and relocate a habituated animal. Anywhere it is taken to, it puts humans at risk. This is our fault. Too many people snapping pictures and oohing and aaahing, instead of screaming and yelling at it to get out. They HAVE to be afraid of humans. You know that rule, a wolf is more afraid of you, than you are of it, isn’t true with a habituated wolf. They are not afraid of humans and thus, have to be killed.

The BC Conservation Officer Service shot a wolf in Prince Rupert this week.

Sergeant Darryl Struthers confirms the animal was destroyed Wednesday night along 2nd Avenue West due to concern for public safety.

He says the wolf was getting into people’s garbage and not showing any fear of humans.

As for the number of complaints about wolves, Struthers says Prince Rupert has had a stable wolf population over the eight years or so that he’s lived in the area.

He says part of the reason wolves enter residential areas is that people aren’t managing their attractants very well and others are feeding deer.

Struthers says when there are deer in an area, the wolves will follow.

Maybe people need to not leave there garbage accessible for the wolves to get at. Everyone please stop feeding the deer in this town. This makes me sick that the wolves will be killed over something so little. Tell me please someone when was the last time a wolf attacked a human in Prince Rupert.

youtu.be/xnNWCJy-4mU

I should know better than to wade into this topic…
Especially considering I haven’t read every post or know the particulars of the incident…
Awe nuts.
The wolves follow the deer- their food.
Or in the case of a lack of natural food they look for an alternate source; your pets and garbage… some might preach you…
The deer are in town because they feel safer dodging humans than being run down in the bush by wolves - think of it this way; we’re the lesser of two evils:)
Eventually the smell of humans will no longer be a threat and that is when a wolf becomes a concern.
This would be why a CO killed one (if true) and so they should have.
As for the dog being killed by a police officer; did the cop do it because it was a wolf?
If so, they might have been wrong and should not have done it unless human injury was a concern. A wolf chasing a deer is just part of the wild.
If they did it because a domestic animal was harassing a wild animal (i.e.: they knew it was a dog) then I guess they carried out their mandate. I’ve always been of the understanding that domestic animals harassing wild animals are destroyed on sight- has this changed?
I feel sorry for the dog- I love dogs.