RCMP shoot dog

Well, apparently the RCMP think that wolves and dogs are the same thing. A dog was shot last night on Sherbrook ave because the cops thought it was a wolf!

I have a couple of questions about that.

1. Is it now the policy to shoot wolves on site?
  2. If they are to shoot wolves on site, is there any training on species identification?
  3. Whatever happened to “be sure of your target”?
  4. What are the chances that this will be in mainstream media?

A police officer shot a dog last night, mistakenly thinking she was a wolf. She was a husky mix, but does not look at all wolf like. Shameful. Her owner let her out to pee when she saw a deer and chased it down the road. The cops saw her and shot her, not killing her right away, but then had to shoot her again due to her suffering. I hope that there are consequences to this. Her owner is devasted. Perhaps the police (or whomever) should look and confirm the species of animal before they kill it. She was shot just up from the skate park. What if there were people walking by, kids or other animals? Should they not have tranquilized her before killing her? And as stated before, wolves are not known to attack humans, so why was she shot in the first place?

There are no words to express how heartbreaking this is, I am so sorry for the owner. I don’t understand how this could happen, who called the cops in the first place as they are very rarely seen out cruising in our area (11th. Ave.E) how did they get there so fast and be able to find and shoot this dog? There are so many questions, bottom line, a beautiful pet is gone, an owner is devastated and this mentality has to stop. Tranquilizer guns would have been the ideal in this case, would it not? Shame on these officers, shame. Anyone who owns a dog who “may” resemble a wolf, be sure to keep them in your yard or take them for a walk, so sad.

Well before you “shame the officers” maybe wait to see if any further information about the incident might come to our knowledge, folks here are sure quick to jump to conclusions on just about anything.

Just a thought but why was the dog running around unleashed, apparently without an owner nearby. (I’ll take a mea culpa on the above line didn’t see the post referencing the dog running away, that does make it rather tragic)

Still, to a larger issue, this seems to happen quite a bit in this town, with unfortunate consequences beyond this incident. Dogs can also get hit by cars, get into fights with other dogs, in some cases bite kids and on it goes. If you’re a pet owner, watching the pets would seem to be something to keep in mind.

The police weren’t called for the dog/wolf. They were in the area either cruising or on another call. I don’t think they went out to shoot an animal, it just happened, but unfortunately they killed an innocent dog instead.

Shame on the officers? How can you make that judgment without knowing all the facts? Why not shame on the owner? It is the dog owner’s responsibility to keep their pet under control in public places at all times and we do know the owner failed in that responsibility. A dog chasing a deer through town is a significant danger to public safety. I sympathize with the dog owner’s grief having lost a pet but to ignore their responsibility in this event is disingenuous.

Link to story.

The Northern View

Cops don’t face consequenceswhen they wrongly kill humans don’t expect it over a dog.

Yes it is a sad case, the owner was yelling at the cop not to shoot that it was a dog not a wolf, and then after he shoot the dog the owner had to tell him to shoot it the second time cuz it was suffering and she did not want it to suffer, so people don’tlet your dog out to pee with out making sure there are no people around or anything else that might harm it. poor dog she was a beauty. :frowning:

This all sounds incredibly tragic…the officer clearly should have had better judgement in this situation…its sounds like a very reactionary action by the officer and not a good one…that alone is something that needs to be looked at.

Not only that, but how dangerous was it of this officer to fire a gun, at night, in a residential area, at moving target that he wasn’t even 100% sure was a wolf…and since when do officers shoot wolves at random for chasing a deer?

Feel awful for the owner and obviously the officer I am sure is not feeling to great either.

if cops are going to be shooting wolves, I feel more people in the town will lose there furry friend this way too. the wolves in town aren’t a problem and never has been and if we did something about the deer problem the wolves wont be around town.

They said this:
Due to safety concerns for those in the neighbourhood and around McClymont Park, members began searching for the animal.

At 11 pm at night how was this a safety concern anyways in this area.

it isn’t a safety concern, it’s an overreaction. Chances of a wolf attacking a person is next to none, if you try and pet it or feed it or get close to it then it’s your fault cause now the wolf may feel threatened, if you see a wolf give it space and leave it alone and nothing will happen, be a idiot and your just being a problem.

This is so beyond tragic, there are no words. The fact is - dogs do get out of yards; they may spot a deer & give chase; things happen & they can’t always be predicted, controlled or rendered immediately. Lessons can be learned here so this little beauty’s death doesn’t have to be in vain. What I am concerned about is why are we suddenly shooting at wolves in town? If the wolf hasn’t threatened anyone, and it’s chasing a deer, that is sad but it is their reality. Make noise and try to shock the wolf or dog, off it’s prey. If people and officers had an air horn, bear banger, flare banger etc. that would be enough to scare the animal and perhaps loss of any life, wolf or pet, could be spared. Hell, Taser the animal or use bear spray as it shoots quite a distance; if you can can (police, I mean). But as a community, we need to stand up and take responsibility - wolves are a fact of our lives; bear too. BE responsible. If you are out and see a wolf and it doesn’t leave the area quickly, then make noise people, lots of it. Scream, yell and carry on. If you are out walking, especially right now or this time of year, then carry the stuff with you in a small back pack or even a pocket. Air horns are excellent because they are loud and abnoxious but don’t sound like a gun going off in town; a bear banger is small and easily portable and if the situation requires intervention, then stay safe and explain later. Make as much noise as humanly possible and practice aversion techniques. The wolves need to feel unwelcome. And for God’s sake, do not approach, engage or feed them. Just like a fed bear is a dead bear, a fed wolf is a dead wolf. This Husky/wolf Hybrid has suffered for our collective lack of using aversion techniques. The officer who was put in this position is surely heartbroken and suffering as well as the dog’s family. To Those who have encountered wolves, or if you are walking in the wooded areas - you need to think ahead. Carry the airhorn etc. and be prepared to get very loud – use the opportunity to teach these wild animals that humans are loud and ugly and need to be avoided at all costs.

I walk my dog at night in that area all the time. He is usually leashed but he’s slipped it & gone for a bit of a run. It isn’t a perfect science, keeping our pets safe but if we all start practicing aversion towards wild animals, including the deer, then perhaps the members won’t be in a position where they have to make a judgement call like this one.

RIP girl – I don’t know who you are but hopefully, your suffering ended quickly and a lesson has been learned.

From the latest update provided by the Northern View

" the owners confirmed the animal was a hybrid wolf-dog"

thenorthernview.com/breaking … 15481.html

Not quite so hard to understand how the police officer may have thought it was a wolf now is it, what with more information being made available.

I don’t understand why the police would shoot a robot dog like that. Hope it can be fixed.

[quote=“Smurfette”]From the latest update provided by the Northern View

Not quite so hard to understand how the police officer may have thought it was a wolf now is it, what with more information being made available.[/quote]

doesn’t matter if it’s a wolf hybrid lots of breeds look like wolf such as Husky, Alaskan Malamutes and even German Shepherds like the ones the cops use can have a very wolf like look to them, shooting a dog/wolf in town shouldn’t be allowed unless there is a danger and a dog/wolf chasing a deer isn’t a danger to people. If the wolves are coming into town to prey on people then we’d have a problem but this has never happened here or anywhere in the history of north america, they come here hunting the deer and try/do avoid us, shooting wolves cause their tracking deer around our town is just going to cause more family dogs getting shot and killed for being mistaken for a wolf when wolfs pose as close to 0% chance as a threat to people as you can get, you’ll have a much better chance getting jumped downtown then to being a attacked by wolves or winning the lotto, I bet you have a much better chance at being attacked by the deers in town then by wolves, it’s just that small that it shouldn’t be a concern.

Not quite so hard to understand how the police officer may have thought it was a wolf now is it, what with more information being made available.[/quote]

Even if it was a wolf chasing a deer at 11 pm at night, I don’t see where the public was at harm from this. Nature by a wolf chasing a deer

That is rather harsh… And general… And not fair

[quote=“brah”]

doesn’t matter if it’s a wolf hybrid lots of breeds look like wolf such as Husky, Alaskan Malamutes and even German Shepherds like the ones the cops use can have a very wolf like look to them, shooting a dog/wolf in town shouldn’t be allowed unless there is a danger and a dog/wolf chasing a deer isn’t a danger to people. If the wolves are coming into town to prey on people then we’d have a problem but this has never happened here or anywhere in the history of north america, they come here hunting the deer and try/do avoid us, shooting wolves cause their tracking deer around our town is just going to cause more family dogs getting shot and killed for being mistaken for a wolf when wolfs pose as close to 0% chance as a threat to people as you can get, you’ll have a much better chance getting jumped downtown then to being a attacked by wolves or winning the lotto, I bet you have a much better chance at being attacked by the deers in town then by wolves, it’s just that small that it shouldn’t be a concern.[/quote]

You nailed it… Our chances of being jumped downtown, beaten or worse are infinitely larger than being chased or hunted by a wolf. I would take my chances with a wolf any day before the late night crowd around Timmy’s and beyond. That is malevolent. RIP baby dog. To the officer… Try to forgive yourself. We can ALL learn from this. Perhaps her death isn’t in vain.