Rain Liquor Violation

That was just for decker!

Nice and clear, Brian, thanks for the update. Personally, I’ll take Rain’s ambience over Chances’ (or Subway’s) any day of the week, bu hopefully every establishment has a profitable holiday season!!!

Nice to hear that it was only 4 days.  Be down for a drink.  However this reads like advertising and should be put in the wasteland.

you spell checked it? better get your GED  along with your red seal there  :unamused: 
i counted a few mistakes but who’s counting you’re the one who said you used spell check . i dont know why it matters if i watched your spelling good or bad i still won’t go in your restaurant.  :imp:

Doesn’t seem much like advertising to me.  All the points he brought up seemed to be in response to issues mentioned earlier in the thread.  The spelling looked mostly fine to me, there were several grammar errors, but there are very few posts made on this, or most forums, that would manage to adhere to both good spelling and grammar.  As long as the message is getting across clearly, which I believe it is, there shouldn’t be an issue.

I have personally been to Rain many times and have had mixed experiences, but overall I find little to take issue with compared with some of the other establishments in town.

Additionally, I would have to say I find many more glaring mistakes in the posts by decker.  You’ve ignored previous comments noting the exact problems you take issue with are present extensively in your own posts.

Their, there.  It’ll all be all right! :smiley:

I have no qualms with Rain.  The food is great quality, the drinks are yummy, and the ambiance is the best part!!

Rain is pretty good.  I’ve always enjoyed it there.  It compares to other Tapas bars from down south.  Some people up here just don’t get the concept of tapas.  I do have ONE complaint about Rain though… And Brian, if you’re reading this, maybe you could help to remedy this…

There just aren’t enough VEGETABLES on the menu!!!

Besides that, fill me up with a Mezzy Trio and some yummy martinis, and I’m a happy camper!

If it’s a true tapas place, it won’t have much in the way of vegetables.

In Victoria, there’s a tapas place called… Tapas.  It has the most delish carrot dish EVER!  Very simple, but oh so yummy.  I’d love to see that dish on a menu up here, or something with tofu… it’s hard to go out to eat and ONLY eat at Rain, when you can’t seem to make a full meal with veggies.

I think you fall into your own category of people who don’t get tapas.  They’re not supposed to be full meals.  Certainly not vegetarian or tofu meals.  They’re supposed to be snacks with drinks.  Rain is closer to the traditional tapas concept than you think.

But this isn’t Spain, so I guess we’re not being strict about the definition.  But hey, you’re the one who said people didn’t get it.

It would be like saying that people up here don’t understand sushi places at all, but the local sushi place would be much better if they didn’t have so much raw fish.  

I’ve been to Rain a few times, and it’s a lot closer to a tapas place than most places in BC.

I’ve only been there once, but other than not speaking Spanish :smile: , they’re more true to tapas than other so-called tapas restaurants.

Tapas are supposed to be appetizers (or late-night snacks).  In a lot of tapas bars, you even stand and eat.  It’s the Spanish version of pub snacks.

They’re meant to encourage talking, and conversing. Unlike traditional sit down meals. They’re light, and you can take breaks in between instead of shoveling the meal into your face…

Damn, just take the fun out of everything. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a concept that’s not exclusive to Spain, or even Europe either.  Here in Japan we have a very similar concept called the Izakaya.  Basically, you go there with a few friends, order whatever drinks you want (typically beer, sake, shochu, or mixed drinks) and a few small plates of snacks such as edamame, pickles, noodles, Japanese-style fried chicken or Japanese chicken shish-kebabs (“yakitori”).  And just like Tapas, an Izakaya is meant more for relaxing and socializing than for eating per se.

I quite like the concept myself–I don’t like to drink without having at least a little something to munch on, but at the same time I don’t always want a full meal when I’m drinking either.  Plus, atmosphere is important.  I don’t mind paying a little extra for food and drinks if I’m in a nice place with pleasant surroundings and good service.

When I first learned about Tapas, it was in a Japanese restaurant.  They used the term “Tapa”, and there were several veggie dishes, including edamame and a tofu dish.

[quote=“Stardog Champion”]
This is a concept that’s not exclusive to Spain, or even Europe either. [/quote]

No, and pizza isn’t unique to Italy.  But ‘tapas’ is a Spanish word, and originated there.

The point is that someone who accused locals of not “getting it” thought tapas were Japanese and should fill him up.  Ironic, don’t you think? 

I just was saying that IF one was to ONLY go to Rain instead of eating at more than one place in a night, then there should be more veggies.  The part I was saying that locals didn’t seem to get (and for some reason hasn’t really been mentioned at all here) is that people are supposed to order several different tapas in a group and SHARE them.  Lots of people go to rain, order one thing, and think that it’s supposed to be a complete meal.  People also seem to think that all the food should come at once, and can get upset when/if it doesn’t.

Maybe they can only afford to order one thing so they have to make it a meal  :confused:

That would be a service issue. Staff should be better trained. Speaking from a few experiences of dining at Rain, our lack of patronage is because staff was not well trained at all and food served was mediocre. Reaching across and in front of diners, not knowing the menu/specials or even having the courtesy of small talk to make customers feel at ease and taken care of.
I dine in Vancouver many times a year and have a very good family restaurant connection. I would only dine at Rain once if it was in Vancouver.
This is not only our opinion, but also of staff after a Christmas party held at Rain. Consensus, no more Christmas parties at Rain.
I’m sure others have different experiences and tastes.

Yes, well, some of us don’t “dine in Vancouver many times a year” so I guess an evening out at Rain or some of the other local establishments is the best that we can do. Bon appetit and so on when you’re down there.