Puzzling router problem

Here’s a puzzle:
Have a crappy old Dlink office router does DHCP but only 3. LAN - P2Pa - P2Pb - several APs - clients w statics.
Bought a Netgear UTM to try, set it up same way.
The odd client can’t surf because it can’t ping thru. Client pings AP. Can’t ping P2Pb, but can ping thru to P2Pa. Can look in P2Pa and see the router attached as xxx.xxx.xxx.254, but can’t ping 254. 98% packet loss. Plug laptop into LAN port, you can access and see inside client radio and see his router attached…

Not sure if this helps, but I saw something similar on an Apple laptop the other day. Similar symptoms, but also was not able to print wirelessly. Could ping everything on the local lan just fine, almost like it was a firewall but there was nothing native running. On the exact same AP there was over 20 windows clients connected transparently. There was over a gig of “apple performance updates” to apply, I didn’t stick around to wait for them to install. The person did try from different locations and experienced the same issues. There was nothing immediately useful in the apple KB.

Are there vlans ? network a and network b right ?

You will hate that Netgear UTM such crappy throughput

is network isolation turned on ?

Bought the UTM for improved throughput. The Dlinks suck (stating the obvious…) and I’m tired of building Ubuntu routers.

You should seriously try untangle :smile: spyware virus spam etc etc all handled buy the UTM on a decent pc.

Or buy a intel / supermicro board with the D510 DC 1.6 with dual g-bit NIC’s i run one and have not had any problems virus spyware etc etc.

WICKED filtering too, and has vpn built in unlimited clients.

PM for more details of i can answer any questions if you wish.

I’ve sold a few boxes too, that were pre-made.

It took 3 weeks. Finally someone called to ask what

Untangle: Blocked
XI: Thou shalt not steal thy neighbour’s bandwidth

meant.

Jase – just because I’ve seen your posts on here (and facebook!), I’m going to install an untangle box at home :smile: Will let you know how it goes!

Get version 8.0 :smile: qos = nice :smile:

I have a untangle unit running every thing at home, plus a NICE Engenius tech wireless N Ap

Don’t forget to try that build in vpn :smile:

Link > engeniustech.com/index.php/b … gn-and-poe

They actually work well, have two running on a little Atom boxes one with 100 users plus a school and a Band Office, one over 75 users.
Disabled some of the phishing and email functions as they caused the odd send problem, and all our mail servers have amavis scanning anyway.
Used to use ntop, bandwidthd, NetEqualizer boxes - way smoother traffic flow with unTangle.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]They actually work well, have two running on a little Atom boxes one with 100 users plus a school and a Band Office, one over 75 users.
Disabled some of the phishing and email functions as they caused the odd send problem, and all our mail servers have amavis scanning anyway.
Used to use ntop, bandwidthd, NetEqualizer boxes - way smoother traffic flow with unTangle.[/quote]

100 users on a atom, your crazy :smile: How many sessions are logged when this is active ?

THE GOOD thing about the board you have is the ‘INTEL’ Nic’s :smile: realtek’s are garbage.

Soo, Mig how’d everything go ?

1200 odd sessions …

If i were you, i would charge customers to use that connection & or put a wifi on it, then charge them a few $$ then buy your self a kaspersky license then when you get customers signing up you can tell them that their connection is scanned in and out for spyware & viruses popups and adaware.

maybe even implement a portal ?

I bet you can keep this going, however you might need a faster machine other than a atom :smile: Building a machine is cheap too tho.

I know a few guys here in town that use Untangle at a few wifi spots and hotel’s and they love it.

Turn on your log’s too!
j’

Hey Herb, need one of these ?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_7zMVY4tjpp0/TS1Q_G_v3iI/AAAAAAAALBY/L7SgIqVFdAE/s512/imagejpeg_2.jpg

Too slow on the hardware I’m using: 1.6Ghz P4 with 1GB of RAM. Slow booting (15 minutes to boot a firewall?), constantly confused about which port is WAN and LAN (keeps switching them). No transparent proxy.

But it seems like a good idea for blocking spyware, malware, scanning e-mail, etc. Unfortunately, I don’t need any of that on my network (mostly Linux and Mac).

I’m going to try Smoothwall Express – it has a transparent proxy, which is something I want to play with at home.

The earlier generations of smoothwall were great. It’s been a while since I’ve used it though. I find the gui’s are great to get things up and running but once you start tweaking like I tend to do they start to break down.

Untangle ( older version ) will run good on a 1.6 P4, but not 7.4 & 8.

MIG, you could also try astaro that runs on a pIII

BUT your only allowed 50 internal ip’s but would be perfect for you because it has great in and out bound rules & proxie’s.

Well, Smoothwall took 10 minutes to install. I’m using an SD card as a hard drive, so no moving parts, and it boots quickly. Transparent proxy, vpn, live monitoring with neat graphs, etc.

Almost as good as copying 80s-era warez on a C64.

http://menino.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/mig-150x150.jpg

[quote=“MiG”]

Too slow on the hardware I’m using: 1.6Ghz P4 with 1GB of RAM. Slow booting (15 minutes to boot a firewall?), constantly confused about which port is WAN and LAN (keeps switching them). No transparent proxy.

But it seems like a good idea for blocking spyware, malware, scanning e-mail, etc. Unfortunately, I don’t need any of that on my network (mostly Linux and Mac).

I’m going to try Smoothwall Express – it has a transparent proxy, which is something I want to play with at home.[/quote]

Yeah that’s too lame to run it. Using an Atom with 2GB it still takes 5 1/2 minutes to boot, but it seems to run weil and gives lots of useful reports.
I just installed it on an X2 3Ghz, still takes a couple mins to fire up (not a big deal, you start it once…) and used the terminal to install bandwidthd as well. Been able to tell a few people to not call again until they de-virus their systems and secure their routers. And a couple more that I’d be happy to call their boss and tell him “Sam’s real upset he can’t go to netflix or warez.com on his office computer and he thinks you should change providers so he can fuck around instead of work”.

8.1 is out, :smile: try it !

I think the “Slow booting (15 minutes to boot a firewall?),” is because of old hardware, my dell 1.8 with 2 gigs ram booted in 4 min, and boot time who cares, why would you care ? it’s a firewall it should have a “HIGH” uptime not rebooted all the time.

Don’t know about you, but untangle is the easiest to use. I’ve stated it before tho, use shit hard ware, get shit results.