Problems with CityTel email lately?

Anyone had problems with their CityTel email account lately? I get POP 3 errors every time I try to get any new mail. No settings have changed, and it’s like that with Thunderbird as well as any other service I can access my POPmail with.

yes all u need to do is change to pop.citytel.net
it was mail.citytel.net but they changed it over finally

Thanks, I’ve been having the same problem.

That was so nice of CityTel to inform us of the problem.

no doubt… they should have sent a flood of emails to all accounts with instructions. Damn they are sure smrt.

For a long time now, I think all of the citytel instructions have said to set your pop server as “pop.citytel.net” and not “mail.citytel.net” (the piece of paper they give you with your account).

What does yours say?

[quote=“MiG”]For a long time now, I think all of the citytel instructions have said to set your pop server as “pop.citytel.net” and not “mail.citytel.net” (the piece of paper they give you with your account).

What does yours say?[/quote]

I dont understand why they changed it? Is mail.citytel.net being used for some other service? It’s not like the subdomain costs them anything…

Any correspondance CityTel has given me says mail.citytel.net

[quote=“MiG”]For a long time now, I think all of the citytel instructions have said to set your pop server as “pop.citytel.net” and not “mail.citytel.net” (the piece of paper they give you with your account).

mail.citytel.net

And thanks everyone, we were having the same problems here. Was just about to call them about it. An email would have been nice since some income was almost lost… Luckily the webmail worked.

[quote=“jesus”]

I dont understand why they changed it? Is mail.citytel.net being used for some other service? It’s not like the subdomain costs them anything…[/quote]

Was just wondering that myself…

They had actually sent something out like a year ago letting everyone know it was going to change. I hadn’t changed mine either because mail.citytel.net still worked. Not sure why the chandge was necessary??? :confused:

It’s pretty common practice to have servers dedicated to doing one thing.

So maybe in the past “mail.citytel.net” might have been for both incoming and outgoing, but with growth, it might have been necessary to split the functions between two servers.

Of course, I have no idea, I just remember them pretty much always saying that incoming was pop.citytel.net and outgoing was smtp.citytel.net. Both pointed at mail.citytel.net, but that was subject to change?

Anyway, this kind of thing is the reason people use “www.something.com” in their web addresses – in the past, web servers were often begun as part of a larger server (ie: on the same box as the mail and news server), with the option of moving it to its own server if traffic increased.

Which leads me to the whole “www” pet peave. I really hate www.whatever.com – why can’t we just use “whatever.com” ? I especially hate that some sites require the www – as if the web guys can’t handle the 1 line of config necessary to make them equal.

Try menino.com

[quote=“MiG”]

It’s pretty common practice to have servers dedicated to doing one thing.

So maybe in the past “mail.citytel.net” might have been for both incoming and outgoing, but with growth, it might have been necessary to split the functions between two servers.

Of course, I have no idea, I just remember them pretty much always saying that incoming was pop.citytel.net and outgoing was smtp.citytel.net. Both pointed at mail.citytel.net, but that was subject to change?

Anyway, this kind of thing is the reason people use “www.something.com” in their web addresses – in the past, web servers were often begun as part of a larger server (ie: on the same box as the mail and news server), with the option of moving it to its own server if traffic increased.

Which leads me to the whole “www” pet peave. I really hate www.whatever.com – why can’t we just use “whatever.com” ? I especially hate that some sites require the www – as if the web guys can’t handle the 1 line of config necessary to make them equal.

Try menino.com[/quote]

Ehh well I didnt think the mail load here was so high… oh well yea the www thing pisses me off but its more than 1 line in IIS, which would account for most of the sites that require the WWW

I don’t care what anyone says. I had changed all my email addys long ago and still had problems. Don’t let citytel snow you.

Like citytel.com and my favorite, dfo-mpo.gc.ca… NCIX used to be a ‘www’ only site too.

I was able to fix my friend’s email through citytel by changing it from mail to pop like suggested above (bless you, htmf) but oddly enough, my own won’t work unless it stays “mail”

What the hell. Selective service??

Your Welcome citytel… htmf has fixed your problem for you. Too bad it hasnt helped everyone, although i would like to thank them, since i’ve had alot of service calls in the last week to fix the email problem.

I had 8 random people come up to me at work today and ask me if I knew anything about email and why theirs wasn’t working. They were quite delighted it wasn’t just them, but quite pissed off that CityTel hadn’t told them anything about it.

gumby.citytel.net?

where’s pokey.citytel.net?

Well, they did have an annoying message on Betty’s answering machine, but when you need email for your bread and butter and it isn’t there …