Prince Rupert finishes near last in magazine survey of best places in Canada

Oh let the debate begin as the city faces a bit of negative national press over its overall image.

Moneysense magazine has ranked 179 Canadian cities of over 10,000 people and our town has landed at 173 but six spots from last place.

I put together a look at their findings on the blog for those that want to see what stats the nation might be reading about in the morning.

atowncalledpodunk.blogspot.com/2 … bably.html

No surprise…
Except for that Campbell River was rated lower than the Rupe…

While it’s hard to argue with statistics, esthetically I would never place Lethbridge over Nanaimo. I’m still trying to figure out what Port Alberni has that’s worse than Rupert, it’s less remote and the shopping is far superior. Might be the crime, it can be a tough little town but still…

I don’t understand that one either Saffron!  Although I have only visited Port Alberni, was there for over a week, I found the people very friendly, the town, considering the mill and all , was VERY clean and yes, the shopping was superior and browsing through the paper, the rents were lower and the employment ops at that time (6 years ago now) were plentiful.  I thought it was a nice town but very hot  :smiley:

When weather is known to drive one’s mood … I’ll take Lethbridge over Rupert anytime.  It’s a matter of sanity over madness … and judging by the crime rate in Rupert it should be obvious to anyone

So then you live here because??? Yes it rains alot but at least things are green … have you seen the interior water levels , not even allowed to water your grass! I can just drive to find some rays.

I moved out of Rupert a few months ago now on van island e ery thing is better here weather shopping jobs ECG. Lots of small towns with lots of  things to do

Seriously. Nobody is really surprised about the negative press, are they? It would take an extremely sheltered person to think that this city has anything to offer a tourist other than a wet, cold, boring visit to a drab sea-side, has-been city.

Perhaps if Rupert embraced our rain activities i.e.: “Rainy Day Hikes” or put development funds to “real” entertainment e.g.: Performance Acts a’la local performers in tropical regions then touristy-Rupert would be viable.

There’s nothing for people to do here but look. Look at what you ask? I don’t know. I wouldn’t find anything here particularly interesting if I were not from here. Would I travel specifically to see Cranbrook? Sechelt? Port Hardy? No. Why would I?

We need the mountain developed. Build a road or Gondola up there again. Log the whole bugger flat and put condo’s up there - or any development for that matter. That’s how other thriving cities do it - why should we be any different? We wonder why our city doesn’t thrive and yet we cling to “eco-friendly” and “environmental conservation” and get upset when there are no jobs, high crime rates and people moving from town in scores…

I think the negative press should be even stiffer - make it fully know that a visit to Rupert is clearly a miserable, dull affair with the exception of a few nice, niche locations and perhaps the city will pull it’s head out of its ass and target the real money and development. Just my $0.2

I haven’t actually checked, but would be willing to bet that we do not even qualify for this list any more due to our population having fallen below the benchmark of 10,000 ? We should simply change the name of this town to the ‘village of Prince Rupert’ which then lowers people’s expectations.

ghost town of prince rupert?

The following bit of stat. does deal with it:

Maybe that’s council’s way of dealing with it, let the population drop below 10,000 and no more problems

“There’s nothing for people to do here but look. Look at what you ask? I don’t know. I wouldn’t find anything here particularly interesting if I were not from here.”

What is it that you think people actually try to accomplish on holidays? IMHO, it’s a whole lot of looking. A seaport is very interesting to anyone who ever lived by the sea or worked on it or conversely has never experienced either of those. Fishing, boating, kayaking with whales, canoeing on quiet rivers, looking at widlife…these are things that people plan their LIVES around. You see all those blue hairs in their motorhomes driving up to Alaska? What exactly do you think they will DO there except look?!? And enroute?

I’ll tell you what they’ll do: spend money. Ask Stewart how busy it gets when the mohos roll thru into Hyder to see the grizzlies for the six weeks and all lower 48 states are represented at the King Eddy for dinner.

And
"Perhaps if Rupert embraced our rain activities i.e.: “Rainy Day Hikes” or put development funds to “real” entertainment e.g.: Performance Acts a’la local performers in tropical regions then touristy-Rupert would be viable. "

Where were you the last two weekends when the Rooney had local talent onstage with a play set on a sunny warm beach? Stop talking and take your own advice.

Things sure have changed since a few years ago when Pond was abusing that word BOOM and we were in the newspapers and magizines as the place to invest and move to. Its very embarrassing if you ask me and I think city council, chamber of commerce and tourism should all go bury their heads on this one.

What would you have done differently?

What has your mamma done? She has been there with both councils has she not?

Well the discussion sure goes off the rails when it starts using the old reliable your Mama! :astonished:

His [censored] is very inconvenient.

[size=1]I know I made a horrible joke…[/size]

This doesn’t need to get personal, does it? I’m just curious what his solutions to Prince Rupert’s problems might be.

Give her an early retirement.