Prince Rupert finishes near last in magazine survey of best places in Canada

I believe that I read somewhere  the tourism people did a few trips to Frisco and elsewhere, what the hell for? So I would probably find a way of getting them out of there since its too early to get rid of council. It is really time to try and find ways to promote this city and its surrounding areas.With being a community which has such a high tax rate we as citizens have nothing to show for it so what will the passengers from that one cruise ship have to look forward to?

“only barbarians lacked knowledge of houses turned to face the winter sun”

I live here, but where the city was built definitely sucks…in our narrow lifetimes we see Rupert on Kaien Island in the ebb .

I think its not fair,prince Rupert is the best city in the world to live,we
have a beautiful harbour mountains,the best fishing culture with the
first nations in our area,a wonderful down town a city hall that looks like
the white house,a recreation complex that’s world class,our performing
art center is the best in BC,a beautiful golf course a water front like cow bay
better then Alaska.our people are among the most friendly in Canada,folks
do some traveling and you will agree we live in the best city in the world.

did it hurt?..

You know… shoving your head that far up there.

I see you ordered more of those rose colored glasses ajaye  :unamused: You are NOT for real are you ?  You just like to post on here so we have something to laugh at, I know it  :unamused: LMFAO again and again !!

Bitch and moan, bitch and moan. How many cities across Canada didn’t even make this list? Of all the cities in Canada, Rupert makes the list. Who the hell cares if we’re not near the top?

Ask yourself. Are you happy here? Would being somewhere else make you happier? If so, then GTFO. Otherwise, be happy where you are.

You’ve missed your true calling, ajaye. The comedy tour must have misplaced your phone number…
:unamused:

My thoughts exactly. Lets be glad we’re on the list at all.

That’s the spirit, put on the rose coloured glasses and say oh there’s nothing to be fixed here, it’s paradise :unamused: :unamused:

Judging by the above statements, the following is again worth requoting:

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

Prince Rupert history is about fishing. Where are the replicas of the boats throughout fishing past. The timeline of the gear and methods used in the past. Must be a way of having garbage cans have nautical themes, maybe look like lilttle markers or something. On the nice days when the cruise ships are in town, let a gill-netter set his net in the harbour. Not likely to catch anything, but tourist can actually see how it is done.
I wonder how many people visit here and not know what kind of city that they were in.
One of the things they see is a boat that floated here from Asia, well thats all good and fine, but it is not part of Prince Rupert history.
I do not know how we go to being a tourist town without using our past. People want to see and know what a town is about, and yes for the most part fishing is crap now, but the tourist probably dont know, or care very much, and maybe would like to see what a coastal community was built on and was like in the past.
I would like to believe having local artists in mariners park carving and showing their gifted talents out on a nice day is something most tourist will only ever see once in this region. Maybe having a small area to process fishing in the park because the people that watch down at rushbrooke fillet their catch in awe is amazing. Maybe have an area where natives can dry or smolke fish where people can see them doing it the traditional ways.
I may get flamed for this, but I do not see many other ideas getting floated(see how coastal I am) around.
If we sit and wait for council to do something for us we all all up the Skeena without a paddle. It will be up the the people of Prince Rupert to dig us out, and hopefully council can do things to help us, not wait for us to help them.

The study has begun to spread its tentacles it seems, found this on the yahoo site today, I believe a few people read that particular site.

ca.finance.yahoo.com/personal-fi … es-to-live

Of interest and maybe concern for those not in denial, the following quote.

“Unfortunately, these places won’t be surprised at where they ended up. They’re perennial losers”

Now that may be a little harsh and not particularly true, but when you end up at the bottom of a list year after year, that’s the perception people have of where you are.

Knowing that time is running out, some of our ‘prominent’ members have already smelled the coffee and–in all wisdom–have placed their house on the market in the hope of fetching a ‘fair’ price for their abode before it’s too late.

names, names, inquiring minds want to know! :astonished:

…by the way, has Mig sold his house yet?

Given the current trends, we should be below 10,000 fairly soon and then we won’t have to worry about this list. We’ll also have closed down all our elementary schools and won’t have to worry about where they place on the Fraser Institute’s list either.

Actually, it won’t be long until we reach a state of equilibrium where supply and demand eventually will balance out. As BackAtIt mentioned, once some of the old guard vacates the area perhaps some new blood will be able to infuse some life into the town with fresh thinking and a new improved approach to marketing and service.

And then I woke up…

I like Prince Rupert, I’m sure you will call me crazy but so what, I never have cared what others have thought.

I agree with the people who are happy we made the list, if you are the kid picked second to last to play ball you don’t care because you were picked and you are not last, coupled with the fact that there were alot of places not on the list, now that would suck.

The only real problem with Prince Rupert is the people that live here who complain all of the time about Prince Rupert, This would be a great place if they would just pack their bags and get the heck out of our town so we could enjoy it without all of their negativity.

Bus, train, ferry, car, plane. Pick your mode of transportation and please, please, please, don’t write. We don’t want to hear how miserable you are in your new town anymore than we want to hear how miserable you are here.

Very bad analogy/comparison … flyman … this is hardly like a baseball game.  It is rather … will players come and play on our turf or not.

According to Money Sense: “This year’s Best Places to Live measures 179 cities, up from 154 last year. To come up with the ranking, we gathered information on Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomeration areas that had a population of 10,000 or greater (and for which the required data was available).”

moneysense.ca/2010/05/03/bes … thodology/

In other word, the reason why some towns and cities didn’t make the list was not because they were necessarily low on the rating but because the “required data” was not available.

The great thing about statistics is that you can have them say whatever you want.  You could show 100 statisticians the same set of statistics and get 100 different opinions.  Much like the Fraser Institute school rankings, people read into these types of surveys what they want to read into them.  Have you noticed the city that ranked number one overall, Ottawa-Gatineau.  Are you kidding me?  Ottawa is about as interesting as steamed rice.  Gatineau is a lot of fun, it seems to have as many bars as people.  There definitely seems to be an Ontario and Quebec bias in the rankings.  Just look at where some of the nicer places in BC are ranked: Vernon-37, Penticton-130, Kelowna-115.  With such bad rankings for BC cities it makes you wonder why 50,000 people a year from other parts of Canada move to our fair province.  Do not take this survey personally.  We have a load of problems in this city, this survey is not one of them.  The paper that this magazine is printed on will probably be recycled into toilet paper down the road, which will make it a lot more useful.

Uh, while your home town cheering is nice, really the differences between the fourth largest city in the nation  or any of the other top finishers and Prince Rupert are quite glaring and honestly I don’t think that there are many there that would trade much of what they have there for what we have here.  While I imagine if any from here were to visit there, they would probably take the same trade in a minute.