Port Rumour

Yes, that’s the sad part.

I’m sure spammers have families too, though. Doesn’t mean you have to like spam because of it.

The truth is that the NWW was spam on newsprint. Nobody wanted it, and the market has spoken.

It’s regrettable about the loss of jobs, but these ad rags have always been a waste of time. I never figured out why anyone purchased advertising in them, other than for the fact it was ‘cheap’. That tells the consumer that you’re cheap, and you risk hindering your sales.
The only way to get readers to view the content is to include articles and editorial that people want to read. That’s why guys like Doug Collins was working so long down in N Vancouver. People would search for his column, to see the controversy and then the ads were effective.
Look at the brighter picture: news content is solely driven by ad content (that’s why Thurs/Friday/Sat editions are thicker). With the loss of the weekly, theoretically at least, the daily paper should get more ad revenue. The ad revenue will increase the real content. The real content will require more people, and some of those people will get their jobs back. You’ll get a better daily.
It takes a much larger population to sustain these extra papers. We have ‘The Advertiser’ in Bulkley/Nechako and it goes straight into the garbage at the Post Office. I’d venture that even the freebie sheets in Prince George aren’t exactly moneymakers.
90% of homes have internet access. Most have broadband, so it’s time to rethink advertising.

hoshq I’m sorry to hear about you and your co-workers losing thier jobs. Good or bad, I’m sure we’ll see another one of these free weekly’s once the population in Rupert goes back up.

LOL. Hoshq lost his job! points and laughs

:confused: Thats really not cool… Especially in a place like rupert.

We’ll be seeing one of these ships coming to Rupert harbour in the not too distant future…

http://www.bigfishfreeride.com/IMG_6713_b.jpg

P.P.S. I watched a really interesting program on the production of said cranes (which need specially produced boats to transport them).
The operators of the cranes are only allowed to work a dismal amount of hours per month, to avoid being tired (and they get paid ridiculously!).

Not sure how true this is but I overheard someone saying that the crane operators only work 4 hours per day which is why they are going to need like 20 of them to work the cranes in Prince Rupert.

Mike

Quite true.

They have to have Ninja Stealth Precision when picking up and dropping the containers.

Last I heard Mahr terminals has already taken care of the construction of the huge crains being put in rupert. When it showed those 2 crains rolling into Vancouveron the news, they mentioned that the ones in rupert are going to be bigger.

Ya, and then there’s Rob Ritchie.

http://tinyurl.com/8xd2p