Pizza hut goes overboard

Went to pizza today with my girlfriend sat down and ordered our food. I go to use my cellphone there was no signal i over heard another table with the same problem. I asked my waitress if there is a problem with cell phones here she told me sorry you cant use your phone here i asked why is that and she with a smile said that theres a cell phone jammer here now. I was so angry i couldn’t even finish my meal. What kind of crap is it when you cant even use your cell phone in a public restaurant.

I’m all for people being respectful with phones in public. But this is a bit much.

If it is true that they have a jammer, then you should complain to your service provider and the CRTC. Jammers are illegal.

WOW! Big Brother truly is watching – in spades. I do understand why they don’t want people talking on cell phones in restaurants – it is disruptive and disrespectful however, lots of people simply check email, texts etc but those are quiet activities and not disruptive to the other guests. For a business to actually jam the signal? WOW!

The last two times I have ordered for a delivery an odd thing happened.
The delivery guys handed me the receipt. I see an additional charge scribbled in below the total. They added an extra buck to the total.
I don’t mind the extra charge for delivery but the way in which added was a little ‘rough’. I called the restaurant and let them know about the receipt scribbling.
The guy on the phone said it was news to him. ( he wasn’t the manager)
Here’s the thing. I’m a pretty good tipper but when I see this happen…I dunno. maybe I’ll stop in and have a word with management.Over a buck??
Maybe not.

I don’t usually make many calls in a restaurant, but, I do check my e-mail and send the occasional text message. If the claim about cell phone jamming is true it seems odd to me that Pizza Hut wants to annoy their customers.

I am not certain that they have an actual cell phone signal ‘jammer’ there as that does seem very extreme and I do not think any restaurant chain would actually do that. However what I do know is that building used be the offices and studios for CBC radio, and when it was built it was done so with very high sound proofing specs and when they went to renovate it they found out just how thick all the brick and concrete and steel is within the walls and roof or the structure itself, and this might be all it is that is blocking the signals?

There is nothing more annoying than sitting next to someone in a restaurant who is talking on their cell phone. I have no sympathy for you. I think I might even frequent the restaurant even more knowing that I’m not forced to listen to someone’s uninteresting conversation, that is usually loud and can contain vulgar language. texting, checking e-mails that’s fine but loud telephone conversations I can do without…thank you very much. What ever happened to having manners that speak to respecting those around you.

This is true, BUT… up until recently, there were no issues with lost signal. I am a texter - keeping my phone on mute. I can understand blocking WiFi, but to completely block a signal is nonsense…

Part of my job is.being on call, I also have a daughter who if there was an emergency id very much like to know about it and sometimes I have something very important im waiting for a call about. A jammer is absolutely unacceptable. I wouldnt visit pizza hut due to the greasy disgusting food but if I enjoyed poisoning my body having a jammer In the store would most certainly guarantee I wouldnt patronize the place.

[quote=“MiG”]I’m all for people being respectful with phones in public. But this is a bit much.

If it is true that they have a jammer, then you should complain to your service provider and the CRTC. Jammers are illegal.[/quote]

just talked to the assistant manager at Pizza Hut…yes, there is a cell phone jammer installed by the manager from Terrace. His reasoning was because his staff here were using there cell phones at work, and not focusing on the job.
So this is a management issue, not a public disturbance why he chose to install the jammer. The assisant manager here, who is not happy and has no control,( and knows it’s illegal) has said he is forwarding the peoples complaints and will speak to the manager when he arrives from Terrace this afternoon at 2p.m.
thankyou Derrick …

[quote=“My2cents”]

[quote=“MiG”]I’m all for people being respectful with phones in public. But this is a bit much.

If it is true that they have a jammer, then you should complain to your service provider and the CRTC. Jammers are illegal.[/quote]

just talked to the assistant manager at Pizza Hut…yes, there is a cell phone jammer installed by the manager from Terrace. His reasoning was because his staff here were using there cell phones at work, and not focusing on the job.
So this is a management issue, not a public disturbance why he chose to install the jammer. The assisant manager here, who is not happy and has no control,( and knows it’s illegal) has said he is forwarding the peoples complaints and will speak to the manager when he arrives from Terrace this afternoon at 2p.m.
thankyou Derrick …[/quote]

I can certainly understand this. I stopped going to Pizza Hut because of the lack of service, staff were spending time on personal calls and would just disappear…

Those people are cellfish!

[quote=“My2cents”]

thankyou Derrick …[/quote]

What a fucking lame ass excuse. It’s called firing employees who do not follow the rules. Get caught using your phone you’re fired on the spot no questions just get your shit and get out. It’s not like it’s hard to replace minimum wage employees in an economically depressed town. Someone please report this to the CRTC.

Sounds like the assistant manager wasn’t doing his job. If you can’t keep the employees from texting at work, you have failed in your duty. Then the owner has to take drastic measures and the result is unhappy customers.

On a side note, maybe someday restaurants will have cell phone and non-cell phone sections!

To the person that posted that she talked to me this afternoon about the cell jammer just to reiterate the comment and set things right i am NOT the assistant manager at all of pizza hut prince rupert i have not had that title for a long time now i am just a cook as for my title now i am the kitchen manager and my cooks all know when they come into my kitchen the phones go off and in there pockets and are to be used only on break. As for the dession to put the yapper zapper in was the managment of terrace i did not have anything to do with this desision at all. Thank you.

I agree, set the rules with employees and if they don’t follow them, then they pay the price, not the paying customer. I don’t mind people talking on the phone, it’s no different then talking to the person across the table, but I do hate the ringers. Turn your phone to vibrate. Most people text now a days and do check emails, that’s why we pay for our phones.

The restaurant should have a sign at the door that clearly identifies that cell phones are NOT allowed and are blocked and identify at ordering that there is a service fee that will automatically be added on deliveries, if that is their policy. If not, management has another problem.

Dont think Ill be going to a restaurant that has unhappy management, which will mean unhappy employees that will be servicing the customers. Im already paying a cellphone bill and if I cant choose to use it, if I do go there, then I won■t be going there. The phone batteries will die trying to search for service constantly, which affects customers too. Not good.

Again, cellphone jammers are not legal.

personally I cant wait for the day that cell phone usage will end up like smoking did…out the door and around the corner please!

As for texting…it comes a close second in rudness.

When you speaking to another human being put the damn toys away and pay attention!

I see the postings all of you guys have put some good some bad i just want to clear a few things. Last night was not my first time there i like the food price is alittle high for my liking. Has far has the services goes it could use some work. The point of my post is i pay x amountof money for my phone i should be able to use it in a public place the last time i checked the air waves are free

Also it’s illegal for them to use the jammer and they need to be reported to the crtc.