Pie Contest?

Rainforest Books is looking at doing a Pie Contest!! Before I go through and set a date for this, we are wondering how many people would like to participate in this kind of contest. All proceeds made from this competition would go to the Prince Rupert Wildlife Shelter!
Let me know what you think and if you would be interested!! I will wait to hear how people feel about this before I start looking for judges and picking a date!!!

Hi! who gets to taste the pie after the judges?? I love pie and would be happy to enter one or even two pies into a contest just for fun and to help raise funds. Sounds like a tasty way to do things as long as tasting is for all. Or maybe i can apply to be a pie judge as i consider myself pretty good at eating pie! Keep us posted ok.

Pie throwing? pie eating? pie baking? what kind of pie contest is this? cow pie?

I was just going to ask the same question.

If it’s pie throwing and our good mayor will be attending, I would gladly bake a few pies even if I don’t to have the pleasure of throwing them at him.

the dirtier the better…
what kind of a bookstore organizes a PIE contest…
sounds like an event little sisters would do…

[quote=“mcsash”]the dirtier the better…
what kind of a bookstore organizes a PIE contest…
sounds like an event little sisters would do…[/quote]

I did not know there was reading material at Little Sister .

I think any fundraising efforts that help bring awareness to non-profit organisations…is a good thing…if it’s baking or donations of baking…count me in! I’d rather not throw food at someone…no matter how much money it raises. I’d prefer something more conservative in nature. Of course…getting to buy someone else’s baking would be wonderful. Good luck.

Looks like we will be having a Pie Contest at Rainforest Books!!! You can enter whatever type of pie you would like!! Gordon has decided to put a challenge out there saying "he makes the best pies in town!"
Up for grabs for 1st place is $150.00 Rainforest Books Gift Certificate 2nd place $100.00 Rainforest Books Gift Certificate and for 3rd place $50.00 Rainforest Books Gift Certificate!!!
There will be a $5 entry fee and anyone who would like to taste the pies slices will be available for $3.00/slice! All proceeds made will be donated to the Prince Rupert Wildlife Shelter!!! Donations of supplies will also be accepted at the store!! If you would like a list of supplies they are needing please feel free to stop on by!!! Contest will be on Saturday, December 18, 2010!! From 7pm-9pm! All pies must be made before coming to the store!!!
For judges I am hoping to get a couple of the Rampage players, maybe our local MLA and/or our mayor.
So if you are interested in entering please come on by the store to register and let us know what kind of pie you are interested in entering!!! Or give Sarah a call 250-624-4195!!!
Thank you for all that enter and those who come by to sample!!!

P.S. A pie throwing contest!!! Great idea!!! Might be something we can plan for the spring/summer of 2011!!! That way we can have it outside so I can hose everyone/everything off at the end!!!

Since that is soooo close to Christmas and the first day of holidays for my kids…is there any other weekend that it could be done. I know that we are leaving town that weekend and don’t know how many others would be to an want a great turn out for the Wildlife Shelter fundraiser!!! I think it is great that your store has choose to support the Wildlife Shelter with all of your events!!!

With it been that time of the season wouldn’t it be good to donate to the Salvation Army as they help out alot of families/children with the Christmas Hamper!

Yes we do agree that the Salvation Army is a great charity to be donating to as well. We are also looking at having a food donation box at the contest as well as on our decorate the store night! Would us changing the date to January 2011 be easier for people to come to this event? I know there is also a Rampage game that night. Let us know!!

I strongly suggest donating to the Wildlife Shelter , I believe the Salvation Army get enough donations and that many of the people who use and abuse their Xmas hamper time , do not really need it in their fine SUVs and their cell phones and their text gadgets. The Wildlife Shelter are doing some very honest and hard work with very little.

[quote=“Justin Case”]

I strongly suggest donating to the Wildlife Shelter , I believe the Salvation Army get enough donations and that many of the people who use and abuse their Xmas hamper time , do not really need it in their fine SUVs and their cell phones and their text gadgets. The Wildlife Shelter are doing some very honest and hard work with very little.[/quote]

Hopefully folks will disregard your advice and contribute to two most worthy causes. For all the flaws you seem to constantly find with the work of the Salvation Army, most folks understand that their efforts do provide some measure of relief for those in our town in the most need.

While like any organization there are probably some things they could do better, you have to wonder what the folks in need would do if the Salvation Army wasn’t around to at least make this time of year (and the rest of it) bearable

Not sure what you have against that, but your comments against them, which seem to never have an end, is clearly your thing, a tiring little thing after a while actually.

Smurfette , I hear what your saying and to honest I do appeciate the work Sally Ann does for the most part , I was a soldier once and I was proud to wear the uniform . They do provide some good services but my thing is that they should screen individuals more as to how many children and numbers in family for one thing. It does bother me that some people who I see and also know where both adults have jobs and a pay cheque coming in but they just line up and take what someone in real need could or should have . There must be some accountability there somewhere. Maybe I come off as some redneck or asshole that is fine but in other areas these things would be monitored more strictly. So I will leave it at that and if you are really against what I point out then go hangout and watch very closely .

So with the holiday season being busy enough for us all…we have decided to postpone the pie contest till the New Year! That way we all have time to make an amazing pie!! And we have time to get some amazing judges!!! Let us know which day works best for you January 8th or January 15th!!!
Hopefully we have a lot of pies!!!

January works much better for me too! I will start working on collecting pie recipes now so i can try and beat Gord! What generous prizes you are giving the lucky winners and I know of no better cause. The SA gets lots of donations but the Wildlife shelter is so often overlooked, good for you guys to choose such a worthwhile receiver. I will be watching to see what date you choose.

The other night when we were decorating the store, Gunter stopped by from the Wildlife Shelter and told us that they have 72 cats at the shelter right now. Bringing there toltal of animalsthey are caring for to over 100. Now with them being a Wildlife Shelter they do not usually take in house pets, but with there big, generous hearts they cannot say no to the animals. They are still running and operating the shelter on there pensions and whatever retirement funds they have available. So this time of year will be especially hard for them as the weather is getting colder. They do such amazing work at the shelter and can use all the support they can get!!!
We also believe that the Transition House and the Salvation Army are great charities as well and they also deserve donations. We have been accepting food and toy donations at the store for the last week to take in to the Salvation Army. So why not choose to support all three groups?!!? I think as a community we can do it!!!
The new date for the pie contest will be announced shortly before Christmas!!! Should be a good time!!! I am trying to get a couple Rampage players to judge, maybe the mayor. Any others that I should try and get?!!?!

[quote=“rainforest books”]The other night when we were decorating the store, Gunter stopped by from the Wildlife Shelter and told us that they have 72 cats at the shelter right now. Bringing there toltal of animalsthey are caring for to over 100. Now with them being a Wildlife Shelter they do not usually take in house pets, but with there big, generous hearts they cannot say no to the animals. They are still running and operating the shelter on there pensions and whatever retirement funds they have available. So this time of year will be especially hard for them as the weather is getting colder. They do such amazing work at the shelter and can use all the support they can get!!!
We also believe that the Transition House and the Salvation Army are great charities as well and they also deserve donations. We have been accepting food and toy donations at the store for the last week to take in to the Salvation Army. So why not choose to support all three groups?!!? I think as a community we can do it!!!
The new date for the pie contest will be announced shortly before Christmas!!! Should be a good time!!! I am trying to get a couple Rampage players to judge, maybe the mayor. Any others that I should try and get?!!?![/quote]

First off thanks for your community minded nature, it’s nice to see local business giving back to the community as you do.

Now if I may be mischievous for a moment, how about inviting Jean Martin to the pie contest, her, the mayor, some pies, it could all make for some fascinating photo ops.

Ok now that my seditious nature is over, continued success in your support for the charities you mentioned all worthy of support of Prince Rupert residents this holiday season!

Not sure why Mayor Jacko should be invited to test the pies, what background does he have in food judging? Ah go ahead…if you need Jacko you can have him but I would suggest maybe one of our local pastry chefs could be asked to judge. That way i might get some good pointers on my pies. I test ran two of them yesterday to good reviews. Maybe the chef from Lush or Adrian from CowBay or Jud from Cappacuino’s! Just a thought!