Ottawa enforces rare law to halt "Buy America" @ PR Terminal

Dreamworld would be yours. You expect a Canadian politician to support a handful of jobs there at the expense of thousands of other Canadian jobs and bow down to a foreign law on our soil.
Move to Alaska and take out citizenship. Then you can do whatever Washington tells you and curse people who stand up for their own country.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Dreamworld would be yours. You expect a Canadian politician to support a handful of jobs there at the expense of thousands of other Canadian jobs and bow down to a foreign law on our soil.
Move to Alaska and take out citizenship. Then you can do whatever Washington tells you and curse people who stand up for their own country.[/quote]

Give me a freaking break! This is clearly the most ridiculous thing you have said yet.

Nathan Cullen was elected to represent the people of Skeena-Bulkley Valley, which includes Prince Rupert…he was not elected to stand up for Steel workers in Ontario, I believe they have their own MP and MLA that can protect their interests. Cullen was elected to stand up for terminal workers, hotel operators, construction workers, tourism workers in Prince Rupert and the Northwest. He is there to represent OUR best interests, not some steel town in Ontario. He needs to remember WHO elected him and why he is even speaking in the House of Commons to begin with.

For him and our MLA to say they are standing up for PR jobs is an absolute insult to the intelligence of all Prince Rupert and NW residents, and especially to the hard workers involved with Tourism Prince Rupert . The fact of the matter is, this grandstanding has the potential to do much more economic damage to the City of Prince Rupert (and all NW cities along Highway 16) than it does to any steel worker in Ontario. If Alaska cancels their terminal here altogether, that would be MUCH more detrimental to the Canadian economy than them not using a few million dollars worth of Canadian steel (which they still don’t have to use anyways, even if they exempt the “Buy America” clause).

The fact that you would tell your fellow BC residents to move to Alaska and bitch if they don’t like it, is extremely rude. Since you clearly support Nathan Cullens actions, maybe YOU should be the one moving, I am sure there is someone in Ontario who will take you in and sing Cullen’s praises with you.

The people who are criticizing Nathan Cullen and the Conservative government over their response to this ARE standing up for their city, their province and their country.

And “thousands of other jobs”, lol…give your head a shake…this project is barely an event in the Canadian steel industries grand scheme. And the “handful of jobs” comment clearly proves you know absolutely NOTHING about how this terminal fits into the economic picture of PR and BC,

[quote=“Jabber63”]so the americans fucked us up, hmmm guess it was the Americans that asked Ottawa to invoke the law to that would fine any Canadian company heavy penalties if they adhered to buy American law on an American project on Canadian land, no it was Nathan that asked Ottawa to do something about it, Nathan fucked us because no terminal upgrade, no work for our contractors and the possiblility of the terminal pulling out, and over what? 2 million in steel, and who did that benefit? Ontario, not Rupert, and here is a thought, even without buy american do you actually think the steel would have come from Ontario? I don’t think so, So again thank you NATHAN for standing up for Ontario and not RUpert, and then he has the gall to say he stood up for Rupert LOL what dream world is he living on

and where did Nathan Cullen or even Jennifer Rice stand up for jobs in Rupert in this dispute? show me where he said anything other then Buy American was not acceptable and the federal government should take action against it.[/quote]

I could not agree more.

He is not standing up for jack shit in Prince Rupert or BC. The fact that he would even send a letter under the guise that he is doing this to protect Prince Rupert jobs is totally ridiculous and highly insulting.

very well worded Bthedog

Congrats herbie_popnecker:

You were not complimented by either bthedog or Jabber63…which of course would have been the best way to discredit you.

;]

I see the streams of idiots coming thru the rain, fog and snow with no daytime running lights as well as you do. But unfortunately that’s SFA to the big picture.
You want foreigners to tell you what to do in your country? Worse - agree to it cuz you might earn some chicken change - even worse - YOU probably won’t, someone else will.
Your inability to understand that one simple concept has gone on and on. Not one single politician supports your stand yet you insist on blasting Cullen for not supporting your sycophantic position.
Alaska doesn’t have the money for the build. CANADA is not gonna let them use the Buy American clause here, so the free US funds that insist on that aren’t available.

Jabber and Bthedog also need some sleep… before they end up in a Hinton-style train wreck.

Speedy might want to join in too.

so let me get this straight living in Prince Rupert and standing up for jobs and the economy in Prince Rupert is bad, being a MP for Prince Rupert and standing up for another riding in a different part of the country to the detriment of your OWN riding is good, what bizzaro world are you living in?

I see Jennifer Rice is making her yearly appearance to Prince Rupert. Should see Cullen stumbling along somewhere also.

Just a question as I have no way of knowing how the majority of people feel on this issue, but what should Cullen do if he thinks that the majority of the residents in his riding (not just Prince Rupert) agree with Harper, Clark, and himself? In fact are there any numbers out there on this issue to suggest that Cullen is doing something that even the majority of people in Prince Rupert oppose?

[quote=“chien22”]Congrats herbie_popnecker:

You were not complimented by either bthedog or Jabber63…which of course would have been the best way to discredit you.

;][/quote]

So says the biggest tool on this site.

[quote=“DWhite”]

Just a question as I have no way of knowing how the majority of people feel on this issue, but what should Cullen do if he thinks that the majority of the residents in his riding (not just Prince Rupert) agree with Harper, Clark, and himself? In fact are there any numbers out there on this issue to suggest that Cullen is doing something that even the majority of people in Prince Rupert oppose?[/quote]

An excellent question, DWhite.

P.S. I did make a light-hearted post about Darwin in jest, bthedog. I regret if people took offense to that. My apologies. I would appreciate it if you would stop with the name calling.

[quote=“bthedog”]

[quote=“chien22”]Congrats herbie_popnecker:

;][/quote]

So says the biggest tool on this site.[/quote]

Wow, butthurt now?

A world without conspiracy theories?

Nope, just calling it like it is.

No, you’re butthurt. lol

As am I.
Okay people dial back on the rhetoric. I think this is an interesting discussion, but, the insults, ad hominem attacks stop now. Clear enough, folks?

:frowning:

majority of the ppl what majority, hell if Nathan didn’t even bring it up Ottawa probably wouldn’t have cared, but the matter of the fact is the law that would punish canadian companies if they abided by the Buy American rule, does not state, and I repeat this, does not state that you have to use canadian steel, it just states that no foreign country can tell a canadian company what to do in canada. In other words any Canadian company bidding on the project could get the steel or any other material from anywhere in the world that does not have a sanction against it. If the NDP in ottawa wants to stand up for steelmakers in Ontario then let their leader do it, but as our elected MP he should be standing up for prince rupert and not ontario, after all in this pissing match the only ppl that do suffer is Prince RUpert’s contractors whether they are union or not, and the service industry if alaska does pull out because of this bad press.

it just states that no foreign country can tell a canadian company what to do in canada
So you do recognize the issue.

our elected MP he should be standing up for prince rupert and not ontario
Key word is “MP” he is a Member of Parliament. Parliament of Canada, not just Prince Rupert. See your own quote - what do you expect an MP like the Bloq who’s interests aren’t Canada first? Secondly if he did take your position and lobbied for an exemption he’d be kneeling down for Prince Rupert, not standing up. Grovelling over a few jobs and setting a precedent for the next job.
So you’d be better off finding a local or BC politician to promote your point, a federal one can’t and won’t.

does not state that you have to use canadian steel

The part being argued is that you HAVE TO use American steel, which means you CAN’T use Canadian steel. I said before there’d be no arguments if it HAD TO BE N American steel, or even if they used ‘preference to American steel’ neither of which would rule out Canadian steel. Foreign steel is only an issue to Christy Clark and the BC Liberals.

if Nathan didn't even bring it up Ottawa probably wouldn't have cared

They haven’t been aware of the Buy American clause? Sorry, but even Harper’s backbench isn’t THAT dumb. The issue’s been around and opposed for years.
Secondly, Christy Clark made an issue of it before Cullen. I didn’t even know Cullen had made a statement until I saw the links in this forum.

The real issue is money. Michigan’s not participating in the proposed new bridge in Windsor. Hell they even tried to go against it (should use American steel even though Canada offered to pay 100%, Cdn gov’t would be ‘competing’ with the private Ambassador bridge - dam soshulists) rather than admit they were too broke-ass to chip in.
Don’t even know if you got a Jobs grant and offered to build it for them, or offered to rework the BC Ferries terminal and share it if they’d accept.

So give up your anti-Cullen ranting because he’s doing exactly what he or any other federal member should on this issue.

first Nathan Cullen is first and foremost supposed to represent his riding he is elected to represent us not some other riding in another part of the country, an MP’s duty is supposed to represent his riding.
Representing Constituents in Parliament

Members of parliament represent the regional and local concerns of the constituents in their ridings (also called electoral districts) in the House of Commons. Members of parliament solve problems for constituents on a wide variety of federal government matters - from checking on individual problems with federal government departments to providing information on federal government programs and policies. Members of parliament also maintain a high profile in their ridings and take part in local events and official functions there.

as for the Buy American and what canadians thought of it, not much at all, it was probably a 10 minute news story in total coverage and no mass uprising in Canada over it. Nathan screwed the hootch on this one. He caused us jobs union and non union by the upgrade being canceled now, lets see his next flyer saying yes I screwed workers in Prince Rupert but hey i saved a few minutes of work for union jobs in Hamilton, or non union workers in China or maybe India, but hey i stood up for Ontario and not Prince Rupert, plz re-elect me