Olympic Torch Relay Celebration on Feb 1, 2010

/Friday Greetings Prince Rupert!/

After 84 Community Celebrations and who knows how many torch bearers and
thousands and thousands of kilometers, VANOC is now planning for the
Olympic Torch to arrive in Prince Rupert ahead of schedule on Monday,
February 1, 2010.  As a result, some previously publicized times have
changed as follows:

The 45-Minute Pre-Show starts at City Hall at 4:00 pm (featuring the
7^th Grade and Community bands, and artists from the RUPERT SONGS CD)

The main Community Celebration Show starts on the main stage at City
Hall at 4:45 pm and lasts until 7 pm (including fireworks at City Hall)

The 14-day weather forecast is now calling for a mix of sunshine and
clouds (no rain or snow) and temperatures around 2 degrees on February
1.  Bundle up, turn out, and experience what will truly be the event of
a lifetime when the Olympic Torch is carried into downtown Prince Rupert
one week from this coming Monday.

a

Great, so anyone who has a job, can’t go.

Awesome! Yay for VANOC.

Hello,

I am going to be a performer at the torch relay.

I do support that the protesters be allowed to demonstrate as we are country that believes in free speech, but I hope that it does not get too disruptive because I know that many performers have been practicing for a long period of time for this day.

Just because I am going to be a performer for the Torch Relay, it does not mean I am 100% support it because I, being a youth, will also have to pay this multitudinous debt in the future.   I also know the money could’ve of been spent on tuition etc.   But the money spent on the Olympics cannot be reversed and we might as well enjoy the event.

It is much more practical to directly protest to VANOC in Vancouver, why go against our own local people?

Goodbye.

Just a check on the schedule–is it all over at 7? Like the torch is gone, the music is over, fireworks have ended, etc?

I hear Kanye is going to protest the torch relay when it gets here…  “Imma let you finish, but I just gotta say Beyonce made one of the best videos of ALL TIME!”

That is how these protesters come across.  I wouldn’t dispute their right to protest, but to hijack the press coverage for their own narrow and unrelated objectives does not win them any support for their cause.

For those that are actually protesting the Olympics, they are several years too late.  I agree that the time to host the Olympics is not during a phase of massive civil service layoffs, school and hospital closures.  Seems to me that you better pay the bills before blowing a stack on a huge party.

But we ARE hosting the games.  That is the reality, so we are faced with the choice of supporting them and reaping whatever rewards we can from a successful Games, or sabotaging them and winning the right to say, “I told you so.”

Go Olympics!  Go Canada!

I can■t wait for an election.

Basically agree with you . Not in favour of them either but they are a reality and for the good of our cultural reputation in the rest of the world, I can hope that we do not embarrass ourselves.  I don’t support them, but don’t agree with sabotaging them and taking the glory from the winners of the events who have worked so hard for these games.  It is not their fault that we don’t agree with the political drama . If there are hot doggies, I’ll be there to support those  :smiley:

Hmm, some interesting partners in protest on this Olympic thing, looks like the typical Vancouver rent a protest crowd.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 15857.html

eccentric, the event itself should be over at 7:00 but the celebration site will remain closed for cleanup and teardown. Expect traffic detours until midnight at the latest, but hopefully the City and special events will have everything back to normal well before that.

Booo! the Olympics cant wait for it all to be over

Just a reminder to everyone that the festivities start at 4pm tomorrow (Monday) in front of city hall.  It’s going to be a great evening to celebrate Prince Rupert.  Come out and enjoy. 

Just to let you know, third avenue will be closed off, so parking downtown won’t be an option.  I would recommend taking transit or parking away from the event area and walking in. 

Look forward to seeing everyone there. :smile:

Yesterday the Torch Relay was here, So was a bonspiel and a hockey tournament.
Town was full of visitors.
All the restaurants were closed so they could attend too.

Tomorrow Kitimat celebrates the closing of one of their largest employers by spending thousands of $ on a torch party.

Rad.

Yay, I am so excited about the celebrations can’t wait!! Who cares about costs I am going to the olympics go Canada go.

Whether you agree with the Olympics or not, they do have some very emotional moments. Tonight my uncle who is sick had a  chance to hold the torch in his house because he is too weak to go to the event tomorrow. Scott Frandsen an olympic silver medalist from Beijing brought the torch by my uncles for a good 20 minutes.
Not gonna argue with people who say it is a waste of money. All I know is it made a sick man very happy tonight.

I am happy for you and your family for that very generous gesture!  Sometimes we have to set aside our politics and our opinions and just enjoy a moment !

See you all at the celebration, and remember to be nice to one another. The person standing next to you might be Soggy!  :imp:

sticks tongue out

I already know who soggy is. So I’ll out you!!

Kidding.

So what’s the route of the torch?  ie:  Can I sit in Tim Hortons and watch?   How Canadian is that?

edit:  thanks to The Northern View for posting the route:

Oh sweet, I thought I was going to miss the torch because my boyfriend works till five! Awesome!