Old Mac mini what to do?

Found an 8 port Gbit switch in the leftovers from my old store.
The PC, Mac, Pi, NAS and HP Laserjet all wired now.

That HP came so close to being tossed into the gully for the 3rd time. Windoze & HP printers, discover what PITA means

2 Likes

I have that windows share on my network, but I only today tried to access something on it from the new Mini.
I can map it and access it, but soon I get the spinning circle and can’t even disconnect or shut down the Mac.
I tried it again, set the mini to login on startup… it did.
But tryin to reboot to make sure, it went to spinning circle and was still there when I came back to switch to my other machine 5 mins later.
Any ideas?
I will be dumping that crappy old Windows NAS box as soon as I can grab a decent cheap minicomputer somewhere & run Debian on it.

Could be a bunch of things. Encryption type mismatch, different versions of SMB (SMB1 not supported anymore?).

Can you see log files on your Mac?

looked at system.log but didn’t really know what to look for, nothing is really obvious.

Really hard to diagnose without logs, and I think by default Samba client logs are actually off, and it’s a pain in the butt to re-enable them. I think you might have to change system protection.

Meanwhile, try this: https://automounter.app

Edit: Nevermind, I didn’t realize it wasn’t free. I guess at some point it was!

Another option to try is in terminal, try and mount the samba share there. Something like this:

I’m dropping the effort now, things worked fine on the old Mac mini and the Linux samba server for ages.
Just ordered a refurbed Dell mini w 8GB and an i3 7100 that will be here soon. That old Atom thing is so slow and gimpy it’s only good for a paperweight.
Let you know how it goes when the newer one’s up and running.

1 Like

Finally got here… i3 7100T came w Windows 10 Pro on a 128GB SSD plus a keyboard & mouse.
About to give up on a new Samba server… Debian 12 looked nice, but reminds me of a tablet and seems slow. Redid it with Mint and a familiar start menu. But can’t for the life of me get Samba working, won’t let Win10 connect. Everything looks like it should… followed a tutorial ages ago and had it working ok.
Might just put back the WIn10 and click Share Folder… just too damn easy.

Is there an error when you try to connect? Do you connect via the start menu?

Got connected once from Windows, to the /home/Public directory, but smb.conf stated /home/username/Public… asked for login and it displayed the available printers, not the folders inside.
after that, only got can’t connect errors. Everything says to make smb path /home/samba chmod 777, but no workee. so I duplicated folder to /home/username/samba but still nothing. smbuser made, passwd - worked that once. Firewall set to allow samba access.
I GAVE UP… just wanted a simple file server that wasn’t about to die like the Atom box. So I did my original setup idea a boot NVME and a big spinner drive. Installed TrueNAS core and its working fine in a little over an hour.
One rainy day I’ll try setting samba on my Pi4B just to figure out what went wrong. Have plenty of SD cards to play with.

TrueNAS took 5 secs to map onto my PC and less than that to add to Files on the iPad.