Oil pipeline

[size=9][/size]

BTW, the ‘U’ key is approximately 1.5" to the left of the ‘O’ key. After that you’ll have no problem typing out the word ‘Gulf’. =.=

Yea, I was referring to the way the poll was spelled.

Agreed, of all industry available to us it will have the least environmental impact. Bulk transfer and storage are good for Canadians,grain,coal,POTASH,and even oil. Or do we just want to hang the closed for business sign on the whole north coast?.

And what are you thoughts about risks and potential for damage associated with the oil tankers that will be needed to transport the oil?

There are risks and potential danger associated with any industrial endeavor. Shipping oil is more safe the Valdez 20 years ago, the boats are modern and the guidelines are strict. Put a wind farm out at see and the impact is still felt, by bird life, sea life and they look ugly. Time for a new thread.

Just remember how many time the PNG line breaks because of high water, avalanches, and land slides!  How long before there we don’t have a contaimenated water shed…water is BC last resource! :astonished:

Having grown up in Burnaby where 5 refineries were fed by a pipeline from Alberta since the 50s, and the worst disaster were some oiled homes, once, … I call bullshit on this environmental horrors talk.
If anything does happen, it’s on land, you can get to it and clean it up.
The real issue is the tankers. Are we gonna ensure they’re safe or are we gonna ensure Alberta is screwed over by only being able to sell oil to the Yanks?
Being BC’ers and knowing how that scenario goes, I’d almost put this as an issue of National Security.

Watch out herbie people will start putting words into your comments and get you kicked to the wasteland. I do fully agree with your comment, and it seems to be more about who gets monies as opposed to the environment which is second in the debate. The majority want it but it is the minority that holds the power, go figure.

Do you really expect the Canadian Conservative government will force their friends in the oil industry to make tankers safe? as for bullshit on environmental horrors… oil spills are just a cost of doing business for the Oil Industry and a cost that they don’t fully pay.  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

Turning to the cleanup on land, this is true but the enbridge pipeline will cross may inland water ways and cleanup of fresh water and spawning grounds are not going to be a simple matter.  As noted on another thread the reason oil companies have to report nominal spills even as low as 250 ml is that it doesn’t take much petroleum to render large volumes of water unfit for consumption. Take a look at the Alberta experience with spills into inland watersheds on the following website. water-matters.org/node/43

While it may be in Alberta’s interest to dramatically expand oil sand production to sell to the Chinese and other international customers, the residents of the Nortwest also have the right to ensure their existing industries such as fishing and tourism not to mention their quality of life are not put at undue risk.  The fact is we cannot rely on the federal government to protect our environment from their friends in the oil industry.

No it’s in YOUR interest to sell Alberta oil to China. Regardless of WHO you are or WHERE you are in Canada.
And of course I don’t trust a Tory gov’t to do shit. I expect YOU to throw them out on their ass because what’s going on in Louisiana is a direct result of decades of free market philosophy.
I want people to know the difference between being capable and being untrustworthy. You CAN build pipelines, oil tankers, dams, nuclear reactors even that are perfectly safe and environmentally acceptable if you listen to brains instead of beancounters.

if you take the cheap way you will pay more in the end 

With the question of Oil Pipeline and our fear for the coast line with Enbridge putting us and them at risk. Who do we trust ?

Justin - You pose an excellent question although in my view, It’s not only our coastline that will be at risk. It’s also all of the fresh water and spawning rivers that this pipeline will traverse that will be at risk. Perhaps the following quote may provide some insight into how trustworthy Enbridge is.

[quote=“CBC News - Michigan Oil Spill”]
The Associated Press reported that the company has a history of pipeline problems, including leaks and regulatory violations. Enbridge Inc. and its affiliates have been cited for 30 enforcement actions since 2002 by the Pipeline and Hazardous materials Safety Administration, which is the U.S. Department of Transportation’s regulatory arm, the news agency said.
In a warning letter sent Jan. 21, the regulator told the company it may have violated safety codes by improperly monitoring corrosion in the pipeline responsible for the spill.[/quote]

Read more: cbc.ca/world/story/2010/07/3 … z0vblbH8gH

Regrettably, with the gutting of environmental protection and regulatory bodies our present federal goverment has undertaken, I doubt we can trust the federal government to hold Enbridge’s feet to the fire to ensure that their past behaviour is not repeated with their proposed pipeline across Northern BC.

The feds have absolved themselves from all responsibilities that do not involve collecting money. They won’t inspect, insure, just make excuses how short staffed they are until the minute the pipeline blows, then they’ll be out en masse with the ticketbooks. After the fact, after the damage is done.
Not that a pipeline can’t be done properly.
Just that there’s not a fucking chance with Enbridge and Harper and Campbell at the wheel.
And that only gets it to Kitimat. What about the risk to the channel and the Inside Passage? Just ONE spill would be a disaster.

I do not believe that we can risk having a pipeline in this area, we must not allow oil tankers on our coast. I do not and will never trust any polical party trying to sell this idea to us. I could not believe my ears when I found out that Dan Miller was even into this horrible and risky venture. I have seen enough photos of the damage done by BP and the bullshit they have caused to the land, the wildlife and how they have destroyed the lifestyle of so many people.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]The feds have absolved themselves from all responsibilities that do not involve collecting money. They won’t inspect, insure, just make excuses how short staffed they are until the minute the pipeline blows, then they’ll be out en masse with the ticketbooks. After the fact, after the damage is done.
Not that a pipeline can’t be done properly.
Just that there’s not a fucking chance with Enbridge and Harper and Campbell at the wheel.
And that only gets it to Kitimat. What about the risk to the channel and the Inside Passage? Just ONE spill would be a disaster.[/quote]

Yeah that’s the tragedy of it all. We need oil, we need to sell it but our government doesn’t understand it’s job is to ensure that the risks inherent in virtually any type of industrial activity need to be monitored and regulated so that unbridled greed doesn’t cause environmental disasters. Unfortunately since it’s the National Energy Board that now has the say on the Enbridge pipeline rather than Environment Canada, I’m waiting for this project to be shoved down our throats whether we oppose it or not.