Oil pipeline

a tarde qualification?  :smiley:

They are creating jobs… just not jobs for you… They arent going to just abandon their other projects and bring the people here they will recruit qualified people from other locations and would likely recruit from rupert too if there were skilled people there.

Good point Bubbasteve, it will just be a matter of time before it comes, it will come. The C Dam in NE BC has been on the back burner for over 30 yrs and then resurfaced recently. Why?  Those in office would like to leave their legacy as did their forefathers. It is the way our society has functioned through time.

This will be the case of the Hecate Straite drilling, it will be just a matter of time, the resource is there and society wants it, it is just when?

Would this not be an opportunity for our youth to get trades,engineering,operating experience. Seems the only way to do that is to allow projects to come here. And of all the industries proposed, bulk transfer and storage have the least environmental impact. Look at the other project proposal for Terrace, A prison. Would everyone be OK with pervs, and killers spilling out into our environment.
  Pretty biased survey by the way, 1.) do not care for environment 2.) care for the environment 3.) do not care at all. I understand at one point they wanted the pipeline to come to Rupert, which would provide easier access to the port for the tankers, and less danger. What do the people of the north want?. I choose #4 on the survey, allow industry to build, inspect and monitor construction/operations, fine them when they fuck up and make them clean it up. Look at Syncrude 12 geese land in there tailing’s pond and die, they did not follow protocol for there bird deterrents and are facing one of the biggest fines (environmental) and are under a magnifying glass know.

Gordon want’s to initiate mega projects in B.C to make work, and help our economy
and the best and only huge project we have gotten into is the site C dam wick is now in the next stage. The other part of it is,  B.C Hydro just hiked there rates up,  and has a surplus of billions of dollars from ripping us off over the years,    there  greedy and want to produce more power to sell to the states. 

i hope the 6 that voted yes dont go out and enjoy the outdoors here ever because they dont have a clue about whats going to happen when a ship hits bottom and destroys the ecosystem

British Petroleom wants to drill in our great north, and wreck that too,      all for some brits to have fuel .          Well they already have no ecostructure they killed all of it dont let them kill ours !

fuckd up poll anyhow…

They are drilling up north (BP,Stantec,Sunoco,etc). Have you even been up north. Norman wells has been drilling and pumping for a long time. It used to be small scale but they are getting bigger operations in there as of late. Just because the name Say’s British petroleum does not mean they are 100% English owned,wanker.

Agreed.

BP wants to make our laws slacker on drilling so they can rape and pillage .

I think cnadian companies should be the only ones screwing with our oil  … Our oil

The poll goes to show that most of you dont enjoy our outdoors,  don’t really give a fuck about the enviroment,  so why dont you get the fuck out and move to the U.K where it doesn’t matter if you dont give a fuck

Canada has NO oil companies, they sold the last one off which was Petro-can. I guess Irving oil is Canadian but they are just as ruthless as any corporation. Good rant though, hope you got it all off your chest.
  So if a Canadian company drills,contaminates,develops oil and reserves you are OK with development?.

no but i do think if a canadian company drills we can be strickter with the laws and penalize for any spills and enviroment damadge and for the brits taking our oil , well what do they have that we can take … not alot

lol

The laws need to be more strict for every player and as for what they have for us, how about the Euro?. Instead of pennies on the barrel and subsities we treat them like the big boys they are. If you want it you have to pay.

Well don’t go holding your breath on stricter laws log boom. The pipeline is needed by conservative Alberta to expand their oil sands development.

The present government is moving to make major changes to how environmental reviews are conducted and you can bet the Enbridge pipeline is going to benefit from a more relaxed environmental review. Whether or not it impacts on people that live on the north coast or along the pipeline’s route will be a moot point as the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (CEAA) is being amended to eliminate improvements made to the act in 2003 that guarantee public consultation in environmental assessments. 

Deep in the 2010 Budget bill that is currently being considered by Parliament, the government has placed changes that significantly weaken one of the country’s most important environmental laws: the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act. This law establishes the national environmental assessment process that we use to evaluate the negative environmental impacts of new projects like mines, pipelines and tar sands projects, and which seeks out ways to reduce or eliminate those negative impacts.

The changes include allowing the government to avoid doing detailed environmental assessments on large projects by breaking the projects up into smaller pieces (like looking only at the environmental impacts of a dump at a new mine development, instead of looking at the impacts of the entire mine).

themarknews.com/articles/147 … ent-budget
secure2.convio.net/nc/site/Advo … ion&id=115

Not exactly on topic but interesting information on how the oil  industry (BP) was trying to get relaxation of our regulations for drilling deep water wells in the Artc. Always refreshing to hear an honest response from industry when they say they don’t know how they would clean up a spill.

cbc.ca/video/#/News/Politics/ID=1493113450

Oil drillers don’t really have a clue what they are doing, especially when it comes to cleaning up. Everything is a guess.

In my opinion, I would think that these drillers aren’t even thinking “what if we spill?” scenarios when they set up shop because all they can see is what they gain ($$$) and could give two-shits about what they lose (an ocean of sustenance).

As for Enbridge’s little pipeline, coastal concern should have less to do with the pipeline itself and more to do with the transportation of this stuff to China on mega tanker ships. If one of these suckers go down in Hecate Strait, then in one day it would spill more than what’s so far covered the Gulf of Mexico.

This is not going to bring long-term big dollars to any of the communities this pipeline crosses. It’s a one-time payout for the provincial and federal government.

And when a company spills, it doesn;t exactly cripple them financially. It’s a loss, sure. Perhaps even the CEO loses his or her gig over it. But at the end of the day, “it’s the cost of doing business.”

This is thread is about a pipeline, NOT offshore drilling. And it is needed by Canadians in order to support Canada.  Offshore has been safe until Bush Gov. lifted the need for safety valves/bypass valves on the well head, they were to expensive he said. But that is another thread. Offshore drilling NOT good.

I’m just not convinced that an over land pipeline could ever cause the same degree of damage as what we’re seeing in the ‘Golf of Mexico.’