Newly under-employed, looking for training facility

I was listening to the radio the other day and there was an ad for some sort of training school to help people start new careers. I didn’t catch the name, but thought I’d just google it when I got home. I’m having a REALLY hard time finding anything. So far, I’ve come across the Career Resource Centre (and have an appt to see them) and Hecate Straight (which I don’t qualify for 'cause I qualify for EI).

Does anyone know of other career/employment training/help facilities in Prince Rupert?

PR Aboriginal Skills Employment Partnership.

(250) 622-2504

hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/employment/a … asep.shtml

Thanks for the reply, and those of aboriginal decent, take a look! I’m white though :frowning:

Here is another one that is located in Terrace, but they will help out if you are currently on EI or have been in the past 3 years. I did a 6 month program with them b4. Helps out with experience and EI hours.

pesl.ca/

Look under Target Wage Subsidy programs.

Thanks!

Transitions is probably what you are looking for.

The Career resource center is pretty good Princess. They do resume workshops and stuff like that. Transitions is in the same building on the floor above. The lady that ran it when I was on the hunt was really nice. I did a workshop called Theater on the edge. Which was a program for people who were having issues with employment where they combined Life Skills, with theater to build confidence, she was the life skills coach for that, she’s really nice. It was awesome, and I built skills and friendships that I still have today.

There’s also a place right across the street from the health unit. I can’t remember the name of it though darn it. I was in a program there before I started having my back issue. I’m sure if you ask when you go to the CRC, they’d be able to tell you more about that place. I think it’s called north coast training school or something like that. You might have to get a referal, I’m not sure.

Good luck.

Check with the CRC first and foremost. I found myself unemployed twice in the last two years and none of these programs have ever given my inquiries even close to the attention they deserve. Nothing but alot of: I dunno, We don’t know when, We don’t if, You don’t qualify for and Ask Someone Else at [Insert Vague Government Office Here].

CRC doesn’t pass the buck and have good ideas where you can get information to fit your needs. Great group of people there.

The programs around here send me an endless supply of people who’ll train under their subsidy programs until the mill calls them to sweep floors for $25 and hour.

[quote=“snuffleuppagus”]Check with the CRC first and foremost. I found myself unemployed twice in the last two years and none of these programs have ever given my inquiries even close to the attention they deserve. Nothing but alot of: I dunno, We don’t know when, We don’t if, You don’t qualify for and Ask Someone Else at [Insert Vague Government Office Here].

CRC doesn’t pass the buck and have good ideas where you can get information to fit your needs. Great group of people there.[/quote]

Thanks, good info!

Pushing Broom @ Prince Rupert Grain: $32.60 per hour.

good luck you need to have someone on the inside.

evil snicker

I quite agree. And it has been happening for decades. When I was in a hiring position in Pr. Rupert in the early '80’s I could not compete with the unions. And our company offered decent wages and benefits that were progressive for the times. When times were tough they were pounding on my door. Didn’t want to work though, just wanted: #1:sign this card saying I was looking for work so I can collect my UI, or #2: hire me until I “hurt my back” and go on Compo, or #3: Hire me at a decent wage for a decent days work until I can go back to making mega bucks for doing nothing at a union job.

Thanks ajaye46… Coming from a city employee, your comment is of great assurance to the community that is sick of paying taxes to the stumblebums that govern and manage our civic affairs. Certainly your observation speaks volumes as to how hiring is done at the City and how our tax dollars are used.

if your looking for a job try the Grain Elevator hear they are going to be looking for labourers soon, if you have a way to get out there that is

dont give me that shit i watched for 34 years how this town works,ask anyone who
has tryed to get a job at the grain or any main employer just look whats happening at
the credit union you have a guy who has been there since he was a child and they cant
find a ceo they rather hire outside then let someone who should at least have a chance
to try but no they are not good enough or they pissed off the wrong person far as im
concerned its all bullshit and thats why our town is were its at.

I’m currently not physically capable of passing the physical part of the interview process… I have a short term medical problem right now that won’t be cleared up for probably a month or so longer. (also, they’re done hiring, but I did consider it)

[quote=“worksforbeer69”]

I quite agree. And it has been happening for decades. When I was in a hiring position in Pr. Rupert in the early '80’s I could not compete with the unions. And our company offered decent wages and benefits that were progressive for the times. When times were tough they were pounding on my door. Didn’t want to work though, just wanted: #1:sign this card saying I was looking for work so I can collect my UI, or #2: hire me until I “hurt my back” and go on Compo, or #3: Hire me at a decent wage for a decent days work until I can go back to making mega bucks for doing nothing at a union job.[/quote]

Now you’re talking out of your ass. Any union job I’ve had I’ve worked my butt off.

The people who have that kind of work ethic, or lack thereof, are more likely to be unexperienced/younger workers who don’t understand what is expected of them, nor are they likely to understand what a good union worker is. In all my years working in a union, I was always told our main duty was to make money for our employer, and this should be the goal of all union workers, and workers in general. The other adage was that management also has the right to mismanage. The latter was to deflect those union members who felt it was their job to criticize how management did their jobs.