Newly under-employed, looking for training facility

You dont need to have someone on the inside to get a job there - you may find out about an upcoming opportunity faster than the general population, but it won’t get you hired. My husband didnt personally know anyone at PRG when he got hired out there, he got a job there without having “connections”.

the cash store is looking for someone(I dont recommend this), and overwaitea is hiring pharmacy techs.

[quote=“StackedSports”]You dont need to have someone on the inside to get a job there - you may find out about an upcoming opportunity faster than the general population, but it won’t get you hired. My husband didnt personally know anyone at PRG when he got hired out there, he got a job there without having “connections”.

the cash store is looking for someone(I dont recommend this), and overwaitea is hiring pharmacy techs.[/quote]

I’ve been after PR Grain for 8 1/2 years. My resume is rather “fleshed out.” Nothing. As to your husband, hey good for him. That’s good to hear, I hear it can get to be a rather volatile work environment but they wage and benefits are entirely worth it. I’ve heard the same story many, many times.

As to how he got hired: of course once and while a goose may be counted as a duck?

[quote=“snuffleuppagus”]

[quote=“StackedSports”]You dont need to have someone on the inside to get a job there - you may find out about an upcoming opportunity faster than the general population, but it won’t get you hired. My husband didnt personally know anyone at PRG when he got hired out there, he got a job there without having “connections”.

the cash store is looking for someone(I dont recommend this), and overwaitea is hiring pharmacy techs.[/quote]

I’ve been after PR Grain for 8 1/2 years. My resume is rather “fleshed out.” Nothing. As to your husband, hey good for him. That’s good to hear, I hear it can get to be a rather volatile work environment but they wage and benefits are entirely worth it. I’ve heard the same story many, many times.

As to how he got hired: of course once and while a goose may be counted as a duck?[/quote]

Not knowing your hubby’s skill levels nor situation, we’ll just consider him lucky I guess and wish him well each payday.

However, I suspect a good number of folks that have applied for those jobs and not been on the hired list will be of the opinion that the “connections” are indeed of helpful assist to employment there.

Working as a GL at PRG and every grain elevator is like being a slow walking explosive tech with a broom; Trying to defuse a huge grey dynamite. One step at a time.

Hence the high pay + 40hr/wk + overtime + 1/100 chance of getting hired there.

[quote=“Soggy”]

I quite agree. And it has been happening for decades. When I was in a hiring position in Pr. Rupert in the early '80’s I could not compete with the unions. And our company offered decent wages and benefits that were progressive for the times. When times were tough they were pounding on my door. Didn’t want to work though, just wanted: #1:sign this card saying I was looking for work so I can collect my UI, or #2: hire me until I “hurt my back” and go on Compo, or #3: Hire me at a decent wage for a decent days work until I can go back to making mega bucks for doing nothing at a union job.

Now you’re talking out of your ass. Any union job I’ve had I’ve worked my butt off.

The people who have that kind of work ethic, or lack thereof, are more likely to be unexperienced/younger workers who don’t understand what is expected of them, nor are they likely to understand what a good union worker is. In all my years working in a union, I was always told our main duty was to make money for our employer, and this should be the goal of all union workers, and workers in general. The other adage was that management also has the right to mismanage. The latter was to deflect those union members who felt it was their job to criticize how management did their jobs.[/quote]

Sorry Soggy, I should have realized from your nom de plume that you were anally inspired.(grin) So I’m “talking out of my ass” because I related real life experiences and you “work your butt off”. Didn’t really mean to upset you, I know that there are many good Union workers out there. I’ve worked with many of them. But sadly, in the real world people don’t get paid $20++ per hour to push a broom, unless their useless butts are protected by a union. And that is the point that I was addressing. I have worked on both sides of the situation. Worker and management, union and non union. In a union job if I busted my hump I got the same wage as the dog fornicator beside me. And there were many of them, and all boasting about how little they had to do for all sorts of money, until contract time came around. Then they were overworked and underpaid. Non union I got promoted and made more money for myself and for the company, if I performed well. Didn’t need to pay money to a useless union for no benefits and I didn’t have to feel slighted when the dog fornicator beside me opened his pay envelope because mine was bigger.

But seriously Soggy, I wasn’t trying to denigrate you or any Union job that you hold today. From the sound of it, you take work seriously and probably work your butt off. I was making reference to situations that I experienced 20 - 30 years ago and if I didn’t make that clear, it is my fault. Hey, forgive an old guy for living in the past! All my good memories now are from when I used to work my fingers to the bone. And all the Union guys then gave you heck if you worked too hard.

The problem isn’t the unions. They used to feed off the scabbo mills around here, they’re all gone. What’s left are the union mills and the match-the-union mills who modernize instead of feeding off low wages.
Now they’re gone people bide their time until they get called, and they know to call anyone that’s any good.
Not one of the twats I fired got hired on. Three of the guys who they saw work hard for me did.
Them’s the breaks. I can’t match their pay.
I can complain about it, but I’m not so cheap as to claim the solution is to take someone else’s good wages away.

Interesting how you’ve deflected to PR Grain and the Credit Union when the City is notorious for hiring friends and family. The difference is that PR Grain and the credit union are private companies / cooperatives and they are free to mismanage as they see fit. The city is the one that is squandering the taxpayer’s monies and standing in the way of economic developement by their bureaucracy, high tax structure and stupid JACK ASS displays of leadership.

[quote=“worksforbeer69”]Sorry Soggy, I should have realized from your nom de plume that you were anally inspired.(grin) So I’m “talking out of my ass” because I related real life experiences and you “work your butt off”. Didn’t really mean to upset you, I know that there are many good Union workers out there. I’ve worked with many of them. But sadly, in the real world people don’t get paid $20++ per hour to push a broom, unless their useless butts are protected by a union. And that is the point that I was addressing. I have worked on both sides of the situation. Worker and management, union and non union. In a union job if I busted my hump I got the same wage as the dog fornicator beside me. And there were many of them, and all boasting about how little they had to do for all sorts of money, until contract time came around. Then they were overworked and underpaid. Non union I got promoted and made more money for myself and for the company, if I performed well. Didn’t need to pay money to a useless union for no benefits and I didn’t have to feel slighted when the dog fornicator beside me opened his pay envelope because mine was bigger.

But seriously Soggy, I wasn’t trying to denigrate you or any Union job that you hold today. From the sound of it, you take work seriously and probably work your butt off. I was making reference to situations that I experienced 20 - 30 years ago and if I didn’t make that clear, it is my fault. Hey, forgive an old guy for living in the past! All my good memories now are from when I used to work my fingers to the bone. And all the Union guys then gave you heck if you worked too hard.[/quote]

Let me rephrase then. When you use a broad brush to paint everyone with you are using a bigoted mindset (talking out of your ass). I have no doubt you experienced what you say, but not all unions are the same and not all non-union workplaces are the same.

This old retired guy has worked both and has been both happy and unhappy working in both.

In a non-union situation I worked, the dog fornicator was there because of nepotism. I was not on the agenda when it came to promotions, etc. Ended up getting the shitty end of the stick and no way to get any satisfactory redress. While I have worked some wonderful non-union jobs, I would have liked the protection of a union then.

Let me rephrase then. When you use a broad brush to paint everyone with you are using a bigoted mindset (talking out of your ass). I have no doubt you experienced what you say, but not all unions are the same and not all non-union workplaces are the same.

This old retired guy has worked both and has been both happy and unhappy working in both.

In a non-union situation I worked, the dog fornicator was there because of nepotism. I was not on the agenda when it came to promotions, etc. Ended up getting the shitty end of the stick and no way to get any satisfactory redress. While I have worked some wonderful non-union jobs, I would have liked the protection of a union then.

Thanks Soggy. Of course you are right about the broad brush, and I hope that you realize that I was indeed back pedaling from my initial comment and trying to apologize, in my own somewhat inept fashion. I should not have used my own limited experiences with some Union workers to brand all of them as bad. It was a “toss off” remark based on certain unpleasant life experiences. If it was a face to face verbal conversation that we were having I could have immediately tried to clarify my remarks in order to not unnecessarily offend you and the difference of opinion would probably have been resolved immediately. That is a problem that I have with typing rather than talking. Once written, it is not always that easy to retract or clarify. And I never have been really great with the written word. I must state that most of the comments that I have seen you post anywhere on this site are relatively sane and rational and I agree with. But I still maintain that no one is worth $20+++ per hour pushing a broom. And it is only in Union jobs that I have ever seen that happen. (grin)

Seems management agreed with the $20/hr broom pushing job also. Contracts are like that.