New Sign at the Civic

Ok then, Hmmmm that sign is sure nice ! Its a good thing we will know where the Civic is. Not sure what it set us taxpayers back? I was hoping for a new sauna at the pool. Thoughts?

Ditto a new sauna would be nice or so many other things we need in this town… grrr

Please don’t think I’m playing devils advocate here. I was told that the sign was funded mostly by Pepsi. Personally I think the sign is ugly. And it is a sign the the city of Prince Rupert cannot make their minds up, it says performing arts Center, when they made a big deal of changing over to the Lester Center.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t believe that new new sign reads Earl Mah Aquatic Centre, Jim Ciccone Civic Centre, Russell Gamble Gymnasium or Lester Centre of the Arts. I’ve only quickly glanced at it though so, like I said, correct me if I’m wrong.

Either way the sign is great in my opinion. Sure there are lots of other places the money could have been spent but its nice to see something enhanced instead of just repaired.

No pictures?

The sign doesn’t say anything specific in regard to the NAMED facilities, it just outlines what type of facilities we have (ie, Arena/Swimming Pool/Performing Arts Centre/Gymnasiums ect)

The Lester Centre of the Arts IS a Performing Arts Centre…regardless of whether Performing Arts Centre was the official name before, the Lester Centre is still a performing arts centre…so it makes sense for the sign to list it as such.

I think the sign is pretty nice…I like the scrolling lights…its modern and looks MUCH better than the old rotted piece of crap they had before.

And since PepsiCo paid for almost all the costs, I don’t see what the bitching is about?

[quote=“bthedog”]The sign doesn’t say anything specific in regard to the NAMED facilities, it just outlines what type of facilities we have (ie, Arena/Swimming Pool/Performing Arts Centre/Gymnasiums ect)

The Lester Centre of the Arts IS a Performing Arts Centre…regardless of whether Performing Arts Centre was the official name before, the Lester Centre is still a performing arts centre…so it makes sense for the sign to list it as such.

I think the sign is pretty nice…I like the scrolling lights…its modern and looks MUCH better than the old rotted piece of crap they had before.

And since PepsiCo paid for almost all the costs, I don’t see what the bitching is about?[/quote]

I agree. The old sign was toast and making it a ticker board that will inform us and visitors of events is a good idea. And, yeah, the sign is clearly informing visitors/newomers where types of facilities are, not the specific names.

Guess what i was going with is that it looks the same as the signs for northern health, same colours and what not.

^
Whats wrong with that?

The Northern Health signs are nice…

Not dissing the northern health ones.

I don’t see what the bitching is about?

MR DOG

I think for the most part the new Civic Centre sign is quite nice, as long as our broke little town didn’t have to pay for it!
The scrolling etc is a nice touch and the subdued hue gives it a nice glow @ night.
I hope that it will not be a distraction for drivers needing to merge lanes before the bridge or add more risk to people
pulling out onto McBride from the Civic parking lot.
All these concerns should be tested when the All Native Tournament starts next month!

Pictures, or it never happened… Lets start a topic about an aesthetic change to the city and not post a photo! I bet at least most of you own a camera phone and have walked or driven past this sign 10 times already since the OP posted the topic.

Here is a crappy Iphone picture from earlier this evening.

confirmed

Looks good,thanks for the pic!

the sign is nice.
I suggest fund raising for anything NEW that you think the city needs.

(i have two bags of empty pop cans if you’d like to get the ball rolling)

Today’s Northern View has a pic of the sign being finished and the photo blurb says “PepsiCo donated the electronically lighted portion of the sign while the City of Prince Rupert paid for the actual structure.”

Also published in the Northern View on September 20, 2012, http://www.thenorthernview.com/news/170587636.html “…the money to pay for the $60,000 sign was originally approved by council in 2009, it’s only now that the City has gotten around to building it.” Also, The City is building the sign as part of a deal with the Pepsi Bottling Group, which bought the City the two LED scoreboards that are being used in the Russell Gamble Gymnasium as well as the scoreboard in the ice arena."

So, that means the City DID pay $60,000 for the new sign, but we got new free scoreboards outta the deal.

Thats a good deal…the scoreboards would have cost more than the sign…so thanks Pepsi!

i sure hope this new sign doesnt distractdrivers enough to run down more children in the crosswalk at 9th an mcbride as the money was spent on a sign rather than a set of lights witch would save lives not a sing witch will distract drivers and take lives