New Mayor Candidate for Prince Rupert

jamesbrown,

I don’t like Jack, I find him to be arrogant and ineffective. However, I prefer Jack over your choice. Lee Brain for Mayor. Re-think Rupert.

[quote=“hitest”]jamesbrown,

I don’t like Jack, I find him to be arrogant and ineffective. However, I prefer Jack over your choice. Lee Brain for Mayor. Re-think Rupert.[/quote]

It’s a very interesting time… my bet now is with so many running it will be split so much that Jack will stay on for many years… Best of luck to your choice of candidates

[quote=“jamesbrown”]
It’s a very interesting time… my bet now is with so many running it will be split so much that Jack will stay on for many years… Best of luck to your choice of candidates[/quote]

Thank you. This mayoralty race will be very interesting indeed.

Lee Brain is the only progressive mayoral candidate so far. You have three conservative leaning candidates vying for the right wing vote.

I want to add that Mussallum, Gordon-Payne, and Briglio all represent the same old business-as-usual politics at city hall.

[quote=“PLA”]Lee Brain is the only progressive mayoral candidate so far. You have three conservative leaning candidates vying for the right wing vote.

I want to add that Mussallum, Gordon-Payne, and Briglio all represent the same old business-as-usual politics at city hall.[/quote]

whowever said we were screwed in an earlier post is correct too many candiates will cause a spilt and Jack will be back in ? :frowning:

After watching the debauchery that has gone on at the hospital, I will NOT be voting for Payne… Briglio, won’t get my vote either, same with Jack. They are all buisness people, yes, but, they have no idea how to run one. I’d rather take a chance on someone new, than elect the same old stagnation into office.

?

[quote=“PLA”]

?[/quote]

4 way race the vote will be spilt and my money is down that Jacko will win time will tell… Payne gets my vote, the right wing is not normally my direction but we need pro bussiness not stagnation … we need more businesses started here to get some of the people emplyed that won’t other wise benefit from LNG

Payne is an insult to real women and I believe many of them have the smarts not to elect someone like Payne . But again we will have to put up with the shaking babies and kissing hands once again, not much eye contact during that performance . I am anxious to sit down with Lee Brain and see where is at and where will he take this town .

what sways me is several people I know in the community that swing left that are behind Payne, and any dealing I have had with her have been favorable.
Not sure how she can hold her current position and still be Mayor maybe she is retiring at her other post? I don’t agree with her on everything but she is a doer too many people in this town vote on personality of an individual and lack respect for talents of people in which they may not personally like. I wish anyone running luck except for Brigelleo (spelling) he is a nice person but we would be really screwed over

You should talk to someone who is a member of the HEU before you make your decision. :wink:

[quote=“jamesbrown”]
It’s a very interesting time… my bet now is with so many running it will be split so much that Jack will stay on for many years… [/quote]

Oh not to bring up an old topic but if these four quite credible candidates do run and the vote does split four ways and the winner gets in with only 25-30% of the votes cast, then maybe it is time to reconsider our first past the post system.

What will be very interesting is how well Lee can energize the people his age, the 18-35 cohort, the people who often don’t vote. If he can get a significant number of those people to actually come out and support him, and if he runs a solid campaign that proves his capabilities to enough older voters, he could very well be the person who sneaks in with the most votes.

I’d be interested to see a list of the positive things that have gone on at northern health that could be credited to payne.

You know, Rob Ford is a doer and now Toronto is a mess. (Save for personal problems)

So before you make another remark about your fellow electorates, all I can say is be careful what you wish for.

all I care about is economic development, who is for LNG and who is against it, and if they say they are for it but we need more studies on this or that, it means they are not for it for they will always find a way to be against then for.

I agree with this…LNG & industry development MUST be supported by the incoming mayor. These projects are already rolling along and they need all the support they can get from the city. We do NOT need any type of resistance or “we need 3 more years for studies” type bullshit. This city NEEDS money, its taxpayers NEED a break…and the only way to achieve that is to attract LARGE industrial tax payers. Our city is crumbling and without that industry tax base, residential taxpayers and business owners will be carrying the city on their backs…something that will not be able to be sustained.

I am on the fence about Mr. Brain…he was a wide supporter of Jennifer Rice (who has proven to be an absolutely DOA MLA) who has actively spoken out against LNG development. I am not sure where he stands on her job performance as an MLA. He is no doubt a great young leader for this city and he is very much energizing the 18-39 vote and has a lot of support in that demographic.

Mr. Brain needs to come out and state specifically what his stance is on LNG shipment and development here in Prince Rupert. If he is against those developments and the billions of dollars of investments and jobs that come with them…then my vote will be going to the candidate that is going to support and invite that type of investment.

The incoming mayor needs to be PRO business and PRO development…and they need to ensure they are not pushing their own personal agendas on this city and its highly burdened tax payers. The mayor needs to ensure he/she can help attract business and industry that is going to significantly lower the tax burden and provide new funds to repair our crumbling infrastructure.

How about a candidate that will finally sell Citywest, so that albatross will stop costing taxpayers?

[quote=“bthedog”]

I agree with this…LNG & industry development MUST be supported by the incoming mayor. These projects are already rolling along and they need all the support they can get from the city. We do NOT need any type of resistance or “we need 3 more years for studies” type bullshit. This city NEEDS money, its taxpayers NEED a break…and the only way to achieve that is to attract LARGE industrial tax payers. Our city is crumbling and without that industry tax base, residential taxpayers and business owners will be carrying the city on their backs…something that will not be able to be sustained.

I am on the fence about Mr. Brain…he was a wide supporter of Jennifer Rice (who has proven to be an absolutely DOA MLA) who has actively spoken out against LNG development. I am not sure where he stands on her job performance as an MLA. He is no doubt a great young leader for this city and he is very much energizing the 18-39 vote and has a lot of support in that demographic.

Mr. Brain needs to come out and state specifically what his stance is on LNG shipment and development here in Prince Rupert. If he is against those developments and the billions of dollars of investments and jobs that come with them…then my vote will be going to the candidate that is going to support and invite that type of investment.

The incoming mayor needs to be PRO business and PRO development…and they need to ensure they are not pushing their own personal agendas on this city and its highly burdened tax payers. The mayor needs to ensure he/she can help attract business and industry that is going to significantly lower the tax burden and provide new funds to repair our crumbling infrastructure.[/quote]

Your answer about Mr Brains stance on LNG may lie here:

“And with nearly every aspect of our lives dependent on the global economic system, I could go on stating the ‘whys’ of it all – peak oil, petrochemical corporate greed, the military industrial complex, this fact, that fact – the real fact is, we are beyond the ‘why’, and don’t need any more information to know one simple truth: we must change our path while we still have the resources to do so.”

I agree with much of what he has to say in the article and we need to transition into being a non-oil dependent society. However, we’re not yet at the point of ceasing to develop this resource.

"The power of this movement comes from inclusion, diversity and community ownership over the process. "

Community inclusion and ownership in the process will start with the election.

vancouverobserver.com/blogs/ … d?page=0,0

Mr Brain will not be receiving my vote. LNG development is going to occur and we need a leader that can maximize the potential for us. Rupert needs to be open for business otherwise the industry and it’s benefits will pass us by. I do like his thought process regarding the future, and the discussions and transition that needs to happen, but we cant shut down and discourage development of LNG.

Don’t make life difficult for anyone who works up there by asking about what goes on. If it were discovered by management that anyone said anything in the least bit negative it’s grounds for firing.

So much for transparency.

BINGO thats been a money pit for years and makes no business sense whatsoever why the tax payers keep bailing it out…