New Mayor Candidate for Prince Rupert

Lee is smart, articulate and passionate. He has good ideas and leadership qualities. The only thing going against him is his youth and inexperience.

But that is exactly why he is likely to get my support.

Governments often say we can’t do this because that means higher taxes and we don’t want to saddle our children with debt.
Governments often say we need to develop this resource or that resource because the younger generation needs jobs even though there may be damage to the environment or we are using up our resources so there will be nothing left for the younger generation.

Governments say a lot about what may or may not be good for younger people but who really knows what younger people want except younger people. And given voter patterns there is an obvious disconnect between younger people and the democratic process.

Maybe what we need is somebody like a Lee Brain to energize younger people to get involved and to have a voice.

And perhaps we will actually know what younger people want. And maybe it won’t be what we have assumed all along.

Besides, what’s to lose? It’s not like the old, experienced politicians have made all the right decisions.

leebrain.com

He has my vote too.

I followed the link and read about Lee Brain’s education and experience. What stands out is his training and background in conflict resolution and mediation. That could be very useful to a City that lurches and stumbles from one court case and conflict to another.

If the City is properly represented it inevitably will be at cross purposes with others at times, but the problem here is that the current Mayor and council have so much trouble resolving conflicts. Here’s the run down:

The Sunwave court cases may have been unavoidable. There was a settlement agreement, but we don’t know if it was a good deal because it is kept secret. There is a comment in the WatCo court filing that Sunwave is owed about $3 million if and when the property is sold.

The City is now in court with WatCo because of a failed negotiation, although it appears that WatCo accepted the City’s terms, which changed over time. Best case is that the Court proceedings will cost a lot. A comment on another thread suggests that the City was sidetracked by an offer from the Pattison group. If the Mayor and council do not have an announcement that they negotiated a much better deal with someone else, with more than enough to cover the WatCo court costs and any liabilities, their handling of that dispute can only be regarded as a failure.

There have been outstanding issues with Payments in Lieu of Taxes (PILT) from the Port. The Port made an interim payment of over $2 million, which suggests that the City was low-balled for several years. The City apparently had some success during a statutory review, but that information was kept under wraps. We even try terrorists in this country in public, but a report by a federal panel about how much money the City of Prince Rupert is owed is apparently a state secret.

So there are conflicts that have gone on and on, but the Mayor and council avoid providing details. That does not suggest that they have done very well. There have got to be more timely, more transparent and less costly ways of resolving conflicts.

The Pinnacle issue is the one exception. There is an interesting piece in North Coast Review about Pinnacle’s appearance at a council meeting. northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … trait.html

A lot was said, but the following comment jumps out: ‘Councillor Thorkelson outlined how she “echoed the rest of Council’s disappointment with Pinnacle regarding the promises made during the EA process and the outcome of the first months of loading those vessels” adding on to many of the same topics as those raised by Councillors Ashley and Cunningham.’

The following excerpt from the EA report speaks for itself: “The City of Prince Rupert was invited by the PRPA to participate as a member of the Environmental Assessment Working Group. The City has declined to participate in consultation regarding the proposed project”.

Public comments by some councillors may make for lively political theatre, but the fact is that when they had a chance to participate in what was essentially a conflict mitigation process they did nothing.

The Mayor and some council members seem to enjoy using tough guy, surprisingly violent rhetoric at times: certain individuals should be “kicked in the ass” or “kicked off the mic”, the City “should lay the boots” to the Port, and Pinnacle should be “hauled in”. But none of that works very well. It may create illusions of getting things done and provide a strange feel good for some, but when all is said and done this Mayor and council is very poor at managing conflicts and even basic communications with other civic stakeholders.

Having someone in the Mayor’s chair who is dedicated to mediating and resolving conflicts, and who has better communications skills than what has been evident in recent years, would be a positive change.

[quote=“BTravenn”]
Having someone in the Mayor’s chair who is dedicated to mediating and resolving conflicts, and who has better communications skills than what has been evident in recent years, would be a positive change.[/quote]

Agreed. I think it is time for a change. In my conversations with Lee it is clear to me that he listens well and considers what is said. We have too many back room deals at City Hall.

I dunno, when you read how Mayor Dave MacDonald approaches some of the issues and his awareness of what a council is supposed to be about…

thenorthernview.com/news/263992841.html

We probably should try and get him to buy a house and run for Mayor here!

Interesting. I’ve had lots of time to observe our current Mayor perform his duties. Jack won’t get my vote.

[quote=“hitest”]

Interesting. I’ve had lots of time to observe our current Mayor perform his duties. Jack won’t get my vote.[/quote]

Well, he’s not alone. For the most part there are far too many councillors with agendas and the burning desire to be social activists.

An awful lot of them seem to use Council as their personal soap box, seemingly unaware as to what a City Council should be actually working towards.

For those of you who didn’t see this TK report on Mr. Brain. He elaborates on his experiences and skills, and what he sees the mayor’s job as being.

cftktv.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=2159896

Either its rumor from Tim Horton’s but I was told that at the present time there are four individuals who are looking to sit where Jacko sat , one is a Known female ex council member who is also well known for her work at our local hospital

Keep her far far away from that mayor’s chair…

Vote for me and I promise you 20 LNG plants , phase 5 of the container port , a bridge to no where :smile: oh and property values so artificially pumped up by greed that you may be able to afford a cardboard box to live in … Pushovers

Okay. You have four posts here on HTMF. Don’t start out here by making fun of members. Thanks. :smile:

Apparently Jack Mussallem, Lee Brain, Sheila Gordon-Payne and Tony Briglio are the 4 who are going to run for mayor in the fall.

we’re screwed

?

Why? Choice is a good thing. Vote for the best candidate.

May the best women for the job win… Sheila is a doer not a talker … she has what it takes to get the show on the road or at least start the show, current mayor needs to move on…

I have to say that you James Brown may still be suffering from Jet Lag , she has done nothing for the city and the city council when she was there and just messed the working class heroes who work hard at the hospital . It would not be good having her sit where Jacko has been farting around from in the last years .

Not sure if jamesbrown was joking, or he pulled an “Ajaye”.

Love or hate her Sheila gets things done… I am tired of the laid back attitude of so many people in this town … She is a manager and it’s not an easy task you take direction from higher up and those skills could be very useful in managing the tight city budget. Too many people think there is a limitless pot of money to be spent on some of the things that need doing around here. A business person like Sheila would be more likely to encourage new business start ups in the city as well. Time to start thinking out of the box in this town.