NDP dissidents win the day, Carole James resigns as NDP lead

The 13 dissidents need to step up and explain their actions.

`seems to me they did. More policy and less finger pointing.

I find it very interesting that Mr. Austin chose to separate himself from the “Baker’s Dozen” and says it was his constituents not him who wanted a leader convention. And Mr. Coons is saying he is sad that Carol James has retired. If they are going to do the deed they need to explain their decision. The NDP will always find away to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Since following Mr. Cullen via Openparliament.ca I have to say his stock has risen considerably in my eyes over the past year and I’d like to a leader of his calibre and common sense bring some reason to provincial politics. On the other hand the need on the national stage has never been greater for solid leaders to oppose the Harper Cons and their right wing christian fundamentalist puppet masters. As tempting as it may be to recruit Mr. Cullen for the provincial scene, my thoughts are he’s needed where he is.

[quote=“grey hair”]

`seems to me they did. More policy and less finger pointing.[/quote]

I really don’t see how the dissidents have explained any of their actions and saying innocuous statements such as ‘actions speak louder than words’ will only further frustrate.

The dissidents are identified as a group, not as a whole. The ends is fairly clear however the means are not. Let us hear of the principles that guided these people.

I am delighted to see the provincial NDP self destruct.

If they had their act together, victory in the next election would be a sure thing.

Fortunately I and other taxpayers like me will be able to stay in the province rather than being forced out as tax refugees.

he states, toadying up to the party that stuffed the HST down his throat and cancelled an income tax cut.

[quote=“eccentric”]

ThePodunkian’s ultra conservative posts have always left me sick to the stomach–but I find your neo-nazi views much more appalling. It doesn’t matter if you’re black or white.[/quote]

This topic should have been stopped right here because of Godwin’s Law.

Anyway, I split the flame war part to another thread for those who are not in the Holiday spirit yet.

Civil discussion can continue here.

[quote=“BigThumb”]

ThePodunkian’s ultra conservative posts have always left me sick to the stomach–but I find your neo-nazi views much more appalling. It doesn’t matter if you’re black or white.

This topic should have been stopped right here because of Godwin’s Law.

Anyway, I split the flame war part to another thread for those who are not in the Holiday spirit yet.

Civil discussion can continue here.[/quote]

Interesting, you would stop the debate here, but not when I was incorrectly I might add, referenced as being a right winger (somebody should actually look back at past items of note to try and provide us with comprehensive proof this apparent trend.)

Then of course, there was this little bit of descriptive prose

“The Podunkian is somewhere to the right of Karl Marx and somewhere to the left of Adolf Hitler. Guaranteed.”

Always fun to be lumped in with despots, guess it all is in who is getting attacked at any particular time as to when action should be taken.

[quote=“BigThumb”]

ThePodunkian’s ultra conservative posts have always left me sick to the stomach–but I find your neo-nazi views much more appalling. It doesn’t matter if you’re black or white.

This topic should have been stopped right here because of Godwin’s Law. [/quote]

I thought that was pretty clearly a joke. Does anyone here really think that ThePodunkian is far right and that hitest is a neo-nazi?

[quote=“eccentric”]

This topic should have been stopped right here because of Godwin’s Law. [/quote]

I thought that was pretty clearly a joke. Does anyone here really think that ThePodunkian is far right and that hitest is a neo-nazi?

Well Hitest seems to attribute right wing leanings in this direction, but that’s for another debate.

The Goodwin thing caught my eye however, as I think getting mentioned in the same breath as a Hitler, even if in jest, would kick in that ole internet rule of thumb.

Okay. I may have gone over the line a bit by referencing you as right-wing. I think you’re getting a bit touchy about that one. My apologies. I’ve been getting testy reading all of the rhetoric/bullshit that has written off my party. I would characterize the Liberals as a right-wing party. However, I think I would be accurate as characterizing you as right of center. You are certainly not left-of-center like me.

That was a good one! :smile:

[quote=“hitest”]

Okay. I may have gone over the line a bit by referencing you as right-wing. I think you’re getting a bit touchy about that one. My apologies. I’ve been getting testy reading all of the rhetoric/bullshit that has written off my party. I would characterize the Liberals as a right-wing party. However, I think I would be accurate as characterizing you as right of center. You are certainly not left-of-center like me.[/quote]

Wouldn’t suggest I am "touchy’ on this topic, more to the point, I was looking for substantive indications of the perceived Right wing bias you seemed to infer, rather than just a blanket declaration without any real basis.

As for compass points, I am rather centre based, as far as my own tipping point goes.

I seek to balance both agendas and try to find the middle where probably most of the province’s residents would prefer to be.

I would like to think that the bulk of my posts indicate that status, though on some issues I will admit that I shade to the left, on others I shade to the right.

Rarely however do I tend to accept dogma from either side as gospel, and as Sean Connery once famously said on celluloid " thus endeth the lesson"

Well when your avatar is one of the most well known Conservative pundits in history, it’s hard not to assume you’re biased.

[quote=“eccentric”]

Well when your avatar is one of the most well known Conservative pundits in history, it’s hard not to assume you’re biased.[/quote]

LOL, Bono is a Conservative pundit? May have to go and re listen to some of my U2 then, cause I’m missing a few messages in the beat!

aaaawwwwwwww this is soooo sweet. Can we get back to the topic now?

You appeared touchy because you brought it up several times that I said you were right-wing. I laughed it off, when I was called a Nazi. :smile:
You cover your tracks well, but, some clues are coming out as to your political leanings. You make reference to your party (referring to me), which, by that I would infer that you are probably not a member of the NDP. I’ll accept that you are perhaps a centrist. I am curious as to who you will support in the upcoming election here in BC. This is a secret I assume. I will find you…ThePodunkian, heh-heh. :smile:

groan. Sounds like a coming out party. This hasn’t got anything to do with being bifurious, does it? Confess or I will put out your eyes.

[quote=“hitest”]

You appeared touchy because you brought it up several times that I said you were right-wing. I laughed it off, when I was called a Nazi. :smile:
You cover your tracks well, but, some clues are coming out as to your political leanings. You make reference to your party (referring to me), which, by that I would infer that you are probably not a member of the NDP. I’ll accept that you are perhaps a centrist. I am curious as to who you will support in the upcoming election here in BC. This is a secret I assume. I will find you…ThePodunkian, heh-heh. :smile:[/quote]

Ah we want to parse words huh, lol. Used the term “your party” as you had clearly identified your leanings in the course of the discussion, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist looking to build a launch pad in Prince Rupert (hey I hear the cruise ship terminal suddenly became open) to figure out you were not raving about the latest choices from the land of the Liberals…

I will support the candidate that offers the best opportunities for this constituency and the province, provide a workable platform from “your side” of the spectrum and I’ll give it a look.

But alas you are right, unless they change the rules of elections (I could take a dig a certain party and their leadership thinking here but I won’t) it’s a secret ballot and I will bravely take my thoughts into the voting booth to mark my X appropriately when the time comes.

However, for now, swoosh I go into the shadows…