NDP dissidents win the day, Carole James resigns as NDP lead

The Carole James era of leadership of the provincial NDP seems to have come to an end, Ms. James who only yesterday was expected to take on the thirteen dissident MLA’s in a Sunday session cancelled that conclave and instead announced she is resigning her position as soon as an interim leader is put in place.

At 11 am, the NDP leader said she could no longer overcome the infighting that has ravaged the party this last week, saying that the public may see it as a “win for the bullies” but that she no saw alternative than to step aside.

(from the blog a town called podunk, click on the link below to see the entire item atowncalledpodunk.blogspot.com/2 … james.html )

If Ms James succumbed to bullying and resigned, it is proof she didn’t have the right stuff to lead.

B.C. Provincial politics is an embarrassment to the people of this province. The rest of Canada must get a real chuckle with what goes on out here. The Liberals are a joke. The NDP are an even bigger joke, they had almost everything going for them with the Liberals having to elect a new leader the implementing of the HST and now they don’t have a hope in Hell of a chance to form a government. Why all of sudden now does this group dissidents decide to cause an upheaval . The Liberals must be laughing their ass off. Just to be clear I’m not a fan of either party.

I’d have to agree with much of this. Odd time for the NDP rank and file to organize an implosion. The Liberals are in complete disarray and it would appear in no way able to mount an organized campaign and the NDP then decide to join the fray? Is this action designed to build voter confidence in the party? If this is the game plan then great…why not give them a chance at running the province. What could possibly go wrong?

David Schreck has an interesting take on today’s developments in NDP land

strategicthoughts.com/record … tswin.html

strategicthoughts.com/record … arity.html

I doubt it. Carole James made a good decision today by stepping down as leader, she put her party first. The Liberals were hoping that Carole James would stay on as leader thus ensuring their victory in 2013. Now all bets are off. The right-wing crowd will spin this situation to suit their needs. I like the NDP’s chances in 2013 now. :smile:

[quote=“hitest”]

I doubt it. Carole James made a good decision today by stepping down as leader, she put her party first. The Liberals were hoping that Carole James would stay on as leader thus ensuring their victory in 2013. Now all bets are off. The right-wing crowd will spin this situation to suit their needs. I like the NDP’s chances in 2013 now. :smile:[/quote]

I’m not so sure there, the split within your party would seem to be rather deep at the moment, besides Mr. Schreck’s thoughts posted above here’s another NDP worker who pulls no punches about what this past week’s events could mean.

therealstory.ca/2010-12-04/bc-po … -ultimatum

therealstory.ca/2010-12-02/bc-li … ls-saviour

Going to take a bit more than lets all come back together to glue the ole alliance back together and of course the Liberal’s haven’t even selected a leader yet.

My guess is Christy Clark has probably made her decision and Wednesday will be launch day, wonder if Carole Taylor is starting to have second thoughts about hanging out at SFU now while all the action is happening at the Legsilature finishing school.

At any rate, the comments sections to the items above is where the real debate is, some pretty passionate commentary discussing the events, but it does highlight the cracks that have been revealed in the NDP’s foundation at the moment.

As I posted earlier, ThePodunkian, right-wing posters like you will spin it as they see fit. The 2013 election is more than two years away; there is plenty of time to regroup under an effective leader who will be voted in by the NDP faithful. I am certain that the NDP will take a pragmatic approach to this opportunity and do what needs to be done, we’re adults. I read your first link and it very typical right-wing rhetoric summed up as: “The NDP is damaged beyond repair, they have no hope of ever governing.” I do not share your pessimistic view of the future of my party. We will regroup and come back stronger in 2013. I am proud that Mr. Coons had the courage to put his job on the line. Thanks to MLAs like him I think we will now have a better chance at winning. I notice you don’t make reference to the many long-time NDP supporters like me who feel relieved now that James has stepped down.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“ThePodunkian”]
I’m not so sure there, the split within your party would seem[/quote]

to be rather deep at the moment, besides Mr. Schreck’s thoughts posted above here’s another NDP worker who pulls no punches about what this past week’s events could mean.

As I posted earlier, ThePodunkian, right-wing posters like you will spin it as they see fit. The 2013 election is more than two years away; there is plenty of time to regroup under an effective leader who will be voted in by the NDP faithful. I am certain that the NDP will take a pragmatic approach to this opportunity and do what needs to be done, we’re adults. I read your first link and it very typical right-wing rhetoric summed up as: “The NDP is damaged beyond repair, they have no hope of ever governing.” I do not share your pessimistic view of the future of my party. We will regroup and come back stronger in 2013. I am proud that Mr. Coons had the courage to put his job on the line. Thanks to MLAs like him I think we will now have a better chance at winning. I notice you don’t make reference to the many long-time NDP supporters like me who feel relieved now that James has stepped down.[/quote]

LOL, right wing posters, where exactly is my right wing spin… Sheesh half the folks give me hell for taking on fox, the other half see me as some kind of right wing agent provocateur… makes you wonder why discussion is lost in politics

Seen on Global TV that Nathan Cullen is possibe candidate. Would love to see him take a run at it.

[quote=“ThePodunkian”]

LOL, right wing posters, where exactly is my right wing spin… [/quote]

I call it the way I see it, The Podunkian. You are entitled to your point of view.

He is an interesting possible candidate. I agree, he would be a good leader. Is he even interested in leaving Federal politics, I wonder?

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“ThePodunkian”]

I call it the way I see it, The Podunkian. You are entitled to your point of view.[/quote]

Well ok then, though I suspect your vision or" the way you see it" as you put it would be a bit slanted towards an agenda or two of your own heh.

It is instructive to note that the two examples I cited on the current NDP leadership debate featured the viewpoints of NDP members, and the follow up comments for the most part were from self described NDP supporters

It is interesting to note that when I post articles about the Liberals woes or matters of the other side of the political spectrum I don’t have the same “right wing bias” you seem to assign to me, in fact on more than a few occasions I am accused of being a bit too much on the left, strange little world.

But as you say you are entitled to your opinion, hope I don’t lose my secret decoder ring though…

[quote=“ThePodunkian”]

But as you say you are entitled to your opinion, hope I don’t lose my secret decoder ring though…[/quote]

Of course you get to keep your secret decoder ring! :smile:
I will be the first to admit that I am completely biased towards my left-wing agenda. I enjoy countering spin that writes off my party with my own take on things. Interesting times ahead!

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“ThePodunkian”]

I call it the way I see it, The Podunkian. You are entitled to your point of view.[/quote]

The Podunkian is somewhere to the right of Karl Marx and somewhere to the left of Adolf Hitler. Guaranteed.

Back to the main topic. I find it amusing that Keith Baldrey made the comment that the NDP are in such disarray that they no longer look like a government in waiting. If they can’t be a good opposition how can they be a good government.

He forgets completely that the Liberals were a highly corrupt government and definitely need a time out as much as the NDP did in 2001.

I hope Nathan runs. As an outsider he would be acceptable to both Kwan and James camps. And he would definitely appeal to the public.

ThePodunkian’s ultra conservative posts have always left me sick to the stomach–but I find your neo-nazi views much more appalling. It doesn’t matter if you’re black or white.

[quote=“eccentric”]

ThePodunkian’s ultra conservative posts have always left me sick to the stomach–but I find your neo-nazi views much more appalling. It doesn’t matter if you’re black or white.[/quote]

LOL…I’ve been called a pinko commie before…this is the first time I’ve been called a Nazi. Methinks you need a refresher course in history, politics.

Shall we all cloak ignorant statements behind cliche-riddled comments like, insert insult here, then add, just kidding, or I tell it like it is, or other tired excuses?

oh come on who wouldn’t want to vote for a party that had 2 seats in the legislature and under Carole James brought it back to 49% in the polls, with a good chance to form government, and then stab her in the back by a minority of caucus members who didn’t want to follow the majority, forcing the leader to take the knife for the good of the party, hell yes that is a party you want in power

Carole James probably had nothing to do with that increase. It was most likely the LIEberals’ own actions that brought the numbers up for the NDP.