"natives"

Techically, there are no natives here, as all the peoples on this continent migrated here from elsewhere. It just so happens some did it thousands of years ago, some came yesterday, and some (like my family) came in between.

[quote=“hoshq”]
Techically, there are no natives here, as all the peoples on this continent migrated here from elsewhere. It just so happens some did it thousands of years ago, some came yesterday, and some (like my family) came in between.[/quote]

Ok, I’m moving this to its own thread, because it’s another classic hoshq thread in the making.

First, let’s take what you’re saying here.

1. There are no natives here.

Well, let’s look up the word, native, shall we?

From dictionary.com, definition #5: Being a member of the original inhabitants of a particular place.

So “native” means the original inhabitants.

So you’re saying there are no original inhabitants of this place?

Or are you just confused by the term “native” ?

I submit, for the HTMF community’s approval, that your grand statement “There are no natives here” is, on it’s face, wrong.

The proper word should be first nations which means the people that first settled the land. Indians was a mistake by european explorers and native is just a shorter way of saying member of a first nation.

Isn’t Indian the official government term though? Isn’t it called the “Department of Indian and Northern Affairs?”

dictionary.com? shouldn’t we be using a canadian dictionary?

A-ha! The first hoshq slide.

But not so fast this time.

“Techically, there are no natives here.”

Stop sliding away from it.

I believe the term used now is Aboriginal. In America it’s Native American, or American Indian. Australia it is Aborigine and in New Zealand/Polynesian islands it’s the Maori. All together, they are known as Indigenous peoples. As far as I can remember from my Indigena class.

[quote=“hoshq”]

dictionary.com? shouldn’t we be using a canadian dictionary?[/quote]

Why Canadian?

A-ha! The second hoshq slide.

But not so fast this time.

“Techically, there are no natives here.”

Stop sliding away from it.

Actually, we need to come up with another word. Sliding sounds too much like a fun thing to do. We need a better term.

They just haven’t gotten around to changing it. Just like in our constitution it mentions God.

[quote=“MiG”]So “native” means the original inhabitants.

So you’re saying there are no original inhabitants of this place?

Or are you just confused by the term “native” ?[/quote]

Doesn’t original come from the word “origin?” If I’m saying the origin of all peoples is some other continent, then there can’t be any original North American inhabitants. Thus calling some people here natives is invalid.

[quote=“Lemrac”]

They just haven’t gotten around to changing it. Just like in our constitution it mentions God.[/quote]

It does, but it doesn’t say which god. And actually, that’s not a mistake or something they’re ever going to fix - it’s their basis for all power and structure.

Indigenous species. Alien species.
I was the original inhabitant of Lot 7 PlanB AreaC bulkey Nechacko Region District.
Am I alien? Am I indigenos? Am I a bug on some entymologyst’s slide. Aahhh the calipers are pinching my head—measure my nose…

Holy shit, now that’s a slide. (slide #3!)

Native means belonging to the first group here.

You’re wrong on this one dude. There are such things as natives, unless you think we all arrived at the same time. But wait, you don’t believe that, since you said:

Just call it quits and say you were wrong, dude.

Semantics. That’s all it is. You’re arguing semantics with someone who doesn’t believe in dictionaries?

Your arguments must come from a Craker Jack Box. You’re so hooked on semantics you make politically correct people look like rednecks!

I’m arguing semantics? (slide #4!)

Are you out of your mind?

What the hell does “technically there are no natives here” sound like to you?

You’re the one arguing semantics, and, I might add, losing the semantic argument very badly.

[quote=“MiG”]Holy shit, now that’s a slide. (slide #3!)

Native means belonging to the first group here.[/quote]

If you want to go on using this archaic dictionary definition, then I must refer you to their second definition:

“2. Being such by birth”

Since I was born in canada, at the Greater Niagara General Hospital, does that make me a native? or first nations?

It makes you a native of Canada.

(Slide #5)

No, but if we take that argument, that anybody born here is a native, then your grand statement:

“there are no natives here”

Is still wrong. There are lots of natives here, including you.

No way to slide out of it. You’re wrong.

No matter how you define “native”, there are natives here. Heh, way too funny to watch you slide out this.