Mr. Mikes Steakhouse franchise sold for Prince Rupert

Looks like Mr. Mikes Steakhouse has secured a franchisee for Prince Rupert, as the city is now listed as a “Sold Franchise” on their official site. What is interesting is this must be a more recent event as the last time I looked at this site, Prince Rupert was only listed as an “Opportunity” location still looking for investors/franchisee.

rammp.net/canada-restaurant- … ortunities

Another thing to point out - the franchise rights that have been sold cost $50,000…and are non-refundable, so if the restaurant does not come to fruition, someone out there just lost a cool 50K.

What ?? I’m still waiting for an A and W before anything else

In regards to A&W:

That is the response I got from their franchising department back on Sept 22, 2014. Same deal as Mr. Mikes (ie. franchise fees/rights purchased by investor/franchisee, currently in site selection). In a call to this franchise officer months before this email, he had said the franchisee of the A&W had selected a site on 2nd Ave & McBride to build, after being in site selection for sometime. He also said a one of their current franchisees in another market bought the franchise rights for Prince Rupert.

If I were looking to open a franchise in Rupert (which I’m not), I would try to find a way to capitalize on all the traffic that will be going between Rupert and Port Edward/Lelu. If you set up a small coffee chain or a Booster Juice on the edge of town, somewhere on this route, I think you would make a ton of money. You wouldn’t need to pay up for a downtown location and your staffing levels could stay low, so risk would be pretty low too.

Any other thoughts on what the best franchise opps might be?

Tim Hortons should setup shop with a drive through at the spot of the former bowling ally.
It is off the highway so a drive through would be allowed. It is on the way in and out of town.
It would offer some serious competition to McDonalds

^ I agree. This city desperately needs a second Tim Horton’s…especially one with a drive-thru. This would be the perfect place for a 2nd restaurant.

McDonalds has become overrun in the mornings with cars out onto the street and lined up. I have noticed a steady increase over the last 2 years.

The word “needs” and “second Tim Hortons” don’t really go together.

I would suggest people try getting their asses out of their cars and support some of the local coffee shops.

[quote=“drummerboy”]The word “needs” and “second Tim Hortons” don’t really go together.

I would suggest people try getting their asses out of their cars and support some of the local coffee shops.[/quote]

Shhh. I like the quiet atmosphere, delicious food, cleanliness and prompt service at the local coffee shops. :smile: The Timmys lovers can have that place.

[quote=“drummerboy”]The word “needs” and “second Tim Hortons” don’t really go together.

I would suggest people try getting their asses out of their cars and support some of the local coffee shops.[/quote]

For YOU they don’t go together…but for people who like Tim Horton’s or McDonald’s or Starbucks coffee over places like Cowpuccinos and Java, they do.

And they shouldn’t be criticized for it either just because these places are not “local”…local doesn’t always = the better choice.

[quote=“bthedog”]

For YOU they don’t go together…but for people who like Tim Horton’s or McDonald’s or Starbucks coffee over places like Cowpuccinos and Java, they do.

And they shouldn’t be criticized for it either just because these places are not “local”…local doesn’t always = the better choice.[/quote]

Totally agree with you. People shouldn’t be criticized for their choices. Neither Cowpuccino’s or Java are set up for large morning walk-ins or really any time of the day.

Speaking of the bowling alley lot, does anyone know what the proposed plans are for it ?

[quote=“bthedog”]

And they shouldn’t be criticized for it either just because these places are not “local”…local doesn’t always = the better choice.[/quote]

I agree that local does not = better.

And I also resent people who say locals should blindly support local business (despite my defense that small business should be a thing in Prince Rupert).

BUT NEED a Timmies with a drive-thru? Hardly. We don’t need it. Would it be nice for some? Sure. But our tiny city can make do with one tim horton’s that features no drive thru.

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]

Speaking of the bowling alley lot, does anyone know what the proposed plans are for it ?[/quote]

There is a for sale sign on the property now.

[quote=“investor”]If I were looking to open a franchise in Rupert (which I’m not), I would try to find a way to capitalize on all the traffic that will be going between Rupert and Port Edward/Lelu. If you set up a small coffee chain or a Booster Juice on the edge of town, somewhere on this route, I think you would make a ton of money. You wouldn’t need to pay up for a downtown location and your staffing levels could stay low, so risk would be pretty low too.

Any other thoughts on what the best franchise opps might be?[/quote]

I always thought a Flying J or Pilot (Husky?) truck stop at the corner of the turnoff to Ridley would be a good idea, especially if it had a restaurant and showers for some of the long distance haulers. There will be a LOT more people heading out Ridley as those port facilities develop and stopping in to get gas without going through downtown will be good for the commuters. Grassy Bay PetroCan is fine as a location but the access kinda sucks and they don’t have any food other than simple snacks. Stopping at a fuel bar that had take-out lunches etc. could make a ton of dough.

I’d like to see a few food trucks with decent food come to town, I’m not big on the whole sit down restaurant experience I get here, I’d much rather sit at the viewpoint and enjoy the view.

Ditto the sit down dinning in this town sucks the view with good take out is great

Fries and Pies is a new food truck located in the parking lot of the Tom Rooney playhouse on 3rd Ave. Haven’t tried it, but saw someone setting up this am. Anyone out there tried it? What do they have…what kind of pies/fries?

The old Via Rail building has a big Mr. Mikes Steakhouse sign up…yippeeeee

If you mean the one that says Franchise Opportunity Available? It’s been up for over 5 years now !! Is there a new one?

The one ranks right up there with our A&W that never happens