MLA and LNG

[quote=“BTravenn”]There has been pretty thorough and ongoing coverage of MLA Rice in North Coast Review. For whatever reasons she does not get much coverage in Northern View.

Here is a NCR article from a couple of weeks ago about a speech where she surveyed several issues, including housing, training and LNG. She also noted that the governing Liberals have been “belittling” the NDP. I’m not sure what she’s getting at there. In any event: < northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … s-and.html >.[/quote]

I eat my earlier words re: Rice she did a fine job and as an opposition member what more can we really expect?
The benefits of LNG are decades away and she went into great detail about the current infrastructure and housing issues. Btravenn you have been valuable prior to the civic election and now once again, as has been mentioned our local papers just dont cover her enough.

Lee Brain will work to make these eventual projects to keep environmental aspects in check … many of current youth could grow old though before any of this LNG speculation materializes …

I learned today that the pellet plant employs "5’ people …

MLA Rice has attempted to have items published in Northern View. She has had little luck in getting her articles published. MLA Rice let me know this first hand in a conversation I had with her.

I learned today that the pellet plant employs "5’ people …

You are almost right with how many persons the pellet plant employs, you can add 3 or 4 more when a ship is in. But also take in to consideration the loggers who cut the trees, the truck drivers who bring it to the mill, the workers at the mill who produce the pellets and the CN crew who transport it to Rupert.

[quote=“hitest”]

MLA Rice has attempted to have items published in Northern View. She has had little luck in getting her articles published. MLA Rice let me know this first hand in a conversation I had with her.[/quote]

I wasn’t being facetious when I suggested that the problem may be that she does not buy enough ads.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

MLA Rice has attempted to have items published in Northern View. She has had little luck in getting her articles published. MLA Rice let me know this first hand in a conversation I had with her.

I wasn’t being facetious when I suggested that the problem may be that she does not buy enough ads.[/quote]

But are you suggesting that she should be buying more ads. And what is an ad?

When I wrote to all the MLAs during the teacher strike, two of my responses were from Andrew Weaver of the Green Party and Vicki Huntington, an independent. Each attached an article that they had written to their local paper about the dispute. In Weaver’s case it was an Oak Bay paper and in Huntington it was the Delta paper, so not the big Victoria and Vancouver dailies.

Remembering that Gary had written similar articles (not sure how regularly or often) I suggested to Jennifer when I next saw her at one of the picket lines that she could do something similar. I am not sure if she tried or if that is considered political advertising. Did Huntington and Weaver have to pay for their opinion to be published. Are they considered less partisan because they are not part of the big two. Should an elected MLA have regular access to their local newspaper to explain what issues they are working on and what they would like to see done. I am sure if Jennifer’s opinions were too upsetting to the publisher, he would be quick with the rebuttal, leading to further discussion.

There’s an interesting article in North Coast Review which pulls together some comments by the NDP that may be somewhat unsettling to supporters of LNG in the vicinity of Prince Rupert: < northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … -some.html >.

After a recent under the radar trip to Rupert and some sight-seeing, recently anointed NDP Leader John Horgan ventured off to Terrace, where he seemed a bit more comfortable talking about the place that he’d just left.

Regarding BG’s proposed plant at Ridley, Leader Horgan pronounced that “it was done”. His rather inelegant choice of words seems to suggest that it’s not gonna happen. It’s hard not to conclude from this that BG, which recently announced a “pause”, is just going through the motions of keeping alive a proposal that is really dead. Why they would bother doing that is less than clear.

The Petronas proposal was also the subject of some commentary. Perhaps momentarily forgetting that his audience is quite well informed about some things, the Leader helpfully pointed out that "The Skeena River has some salmon in it’. Good to know that they haven’t all been wiped out yet.

In his view Kitmat has better prospects that Rupert. If Horgan is right, it would seem that a town hall meeting to discuss “How do we make LNG work best in Prince Rupert” can be scratched off Mayor Brain’s to-do list.

No doubt well aware of the ongoing environmental review of the proposed LNG site at Lelu Island, Terrace MLA Robin Austin meanwhile announced that a site in Nisga’a territory might offer a viable alternative for Petronas. That would no doubt be a boon to Mr Austin’s riding as a potential staging area and service centre for any development near the Nass.

As has been noted, MLA Rice is not the LNG critic. Hopefully though, party protocol or discipline does not prevent her from offering some thoughts of her own, because it seems that to the extent that the NDP supports LNG development, their interest is mostly in it going somewhere else.

^^
I wonder how much Mr. Horgan actually knows…something tells me has probably knows just as much as the media at this point…and is being purely speculative.

The man clearly doesn’t give a shit about the North Coast…thank GOD his party is not in power because they clearly do not give a shit about our riding (one of their “strong holds”). Meanwhile…the Liberals are going to bat for North Coast LNG projects.

I doubt ANYONE from BG Group or Petronas has personally spoken to him about their projects. Once again…our MLA is silent…offering absolutely nothing in the way of commentary to these damaging comments by her own party against her own riding. When the fuck is Jennifer Rice going to WAKE UP and start REPRESENTING this riding!

MLA for Skeena is subtly trying to poach LNG investment away from North Coast to his Skeena riding and our MLA says nothing on the matter?

Is MLA Rice’s silence implying that she would rather see ALL LNG development moved to the Skeena Riding? Does she want to keep her riding in poverty or does she have something up her sleeve other than bitching once and awhile about a shuttle bus on the highway and advocating for First Nations (and screw everyone else?)

[quote=“bthedog”]^^
I wonder how much Mr. Horgan actually knows…something tells me has probably knows just as much as the media at this point…and is being purely speculative.

The man clearly doesn’t give a shit about the North Coast…thank GOD his party is not in power because they clearly do not give a shit about our riding (one of their “strong holds”). Meanwhile…the Liberals are going to bat for North Coast LNG projects.

I doubt ANYONE from BG Group or Petronas has personally spoken to him about their projects. Once again…our MLA is silent…offering absolutely nothing in the way of commentary to these damaging comments by her own party against her own riding. When the fuck is Jennifer Rice going to WAKE UP and start REPRESENTING this riding!

MLA for Skeena is subtly trying to poach LNG investment away from North Coast to his Skeena riding and our MLA says nothing on the matter?

Is MLA Rice’s silence implying that she would rather see ALL LNG development moved to the Skeena Riding? Does she want to keep her riding in poverty or does she have something up her sleeve other than bitching once and awhile about a shuttle bus on the highway and advocating for First Nations (and screw everyone else?)[/quote]

Like Todd Hamiton says “WE must get to work” if we are to stop the leftish scourge!!

So the answer to my original question is less than nothing.

[quote=“uartz1949”]

So the answer to my original question is less than nothing.[/quote]

I now think a recall is in order?? Where is she?? Wew need her now more than ever!