MLA and LNG

Media event? Please. Wasn’t even covered by the local media.

I think that ‘media’ increasingly refers to social media, eg < twitter.com/hashtag/LeluIsland?src=hash >.

So let me get this right, is this John Horgan the leader of the opposition? If he is, doesn’t he have his own press people to set up these events, and if you had something important to say about one of BC’s leading questions would not invite members of the press to be present? Only by getting asked oral questions and giving oral answers can the public hear the sincerity or insincerity in your voice,and the inflection of your voice. The written word rarely reveals your passion or lack of passion etc. I think thats what social media has trouble communicating sometimes. Maybe thats why politicians are gravitating more to it or should I say hide behind it.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“uartz1949”]
Just out of curiosity does someone know how to find how much this media event cost us?[/quote]

MLA Rice’s October and November expenses have not been posted yet, but when they are it should be pretty easy to match the event to the dates and costs: < bcndpcaucus.ca/the-team/members- … -expenses/ >.[/quote]

I’ve been remiss in giving thanks to “BTravenn” for his help more than once in supplying information that I may have never found.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

Sometimes journalists like George T Baker comment through their own twitter feeds, but the discussion can be hard to follow for sure and the format limits the depth. Perhaps that is why politicians are increasingly communicating through twitter.

The counter-trend seems to be that some MSM, eg CBC, are increasingly incorporating twitter quotes into their reporting.

Twitter seems to be good for posting photos though.[/quote]

Twitter is not for me. I know I am not the only one that matters and there are some who use that format. But we have a newspaper in town (whose publisher hates the MLA, and is an open supporter of the BC Libs, so he’d likely not send a reporter to this event) and that should be what happens – reporter goes to event and asks hard questions.

And Baker is not a journalist, he is a producer, so not sure what that means these days.

hold it did I read right? We have an MLA? no way is it april fool’s day already :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes and no.
Yes we have an MLA but apparently she’s broken and doesn’t work.

[quote=“uartz1949”]

Yes and no.
Yes we have an MLA but apparently she’s broken and doesn’t work.[/quote]

I hope she is holding the post on a temporary basis and for next election we get a real one… most of the council candidates whether elected or not are more suitable for the role

You don’t like her. Fine. You think she is incompetent. Fine. You think she isn’t doing enough. That’s fine too.

But serious question: What do you and the other critics want her to say and do?

She has a role in the opposition as critic for Rural and Northern Health and as deputy critic for Children and Families. She has spoken in the legislature on numerous occasions. She has an office in town where you can go and ask hard questions yourself. She has an email address where you can send questions or comments. She has been in and out of town at various events. (For example, I talked with her for a few minutes during the Terry Fox run where she explained some of the problems facing coastal communities as they struggled with cuts to BC Ferries.)

She is very approachable.

Far be it for me to be the defender of Jennifer Rice. I am as much a cynic as anybody here when it comes to politicians. Politicians are fair game.

During the past municipal election, fairly or unfairly, rightly or wrongly we criticized or defended the previous council over a lack of transparency, or high taxes, or failure to address the police station/fire hall or the lack of attention to infrastructure or being unprepared for whatever boom we can expect with LNG. All very specific topics that needed to be addressed.

Could anybody enlighten me on some specific thing that Jennifer Rice has failed to do besides not building an LNG plant in her first year as MLA.

[quote=“DWhite”]

Could anybody enlighten me on some specific thing that Jennifer Rice has failed to do besides not building an LNG plant in her first year as MLA.[/quote]

What has she accomplished that has made this town a better place to live? Enlighten me .

[quote=“uartz1949”]

Could anybody enlighten me on some specific thing that Jennifer Rice has failed to do besides not building an LNG plant in her first year as MLA.

What has she accomplished that has made this town a better place to live? Enlighten me .[/quote]

Great question. What did Gary Coons do to make Prince Rupert a better place or Bill Belsey or Dan Miller or Graham Lea or for that matter, DWhite or uartz1949? It is a question that maybe should be asked of all of us. What have I done to make Prince Rupert a better place or you or you or you.

As I said, I am not here to defend Jennifer Rice. But she has opposed Enbridge. She is in the legislature working on our behalf. She is speaking out about cuts to ferry service, the problems with the Highway of Tears, the difficulty of getting proper health workers in the north and defending the rights of children and families. That is her job as an MLA.

And whether we agree or not with their politics, Prince Rupert would be a worse place if people like Jennifer and past MLAs and those that ran on Saturday (and I will specifically mention Jack, Anna and Gina) didn’t put their names forward hoping to make Prince Rupert a better place.

Now has Jennifer been successful? Has she been effective? Hard to say when she has no control over the budget or how spending is allocated. As a member of the opposition she can only call attention to problems facing her constituents.

So, at the expense of repeating myself, I am not here to defend Jennifer Rice. Criticize all you want. Maybe, you could convince me that I should also be a rabid opponent of her. But first, I need to know what it is that she has failed to do in her 18 months as MLA?

But first, I need to know what it is that she has failed to do in her 18 months as MLA?

What has she done to promote Prince Rupert, and I don’t mean post photos on facebook and twitter, and what solutions has she proposed in her capacity as critic? I’m saying this in a calm collected voice.

There has been pretty thorough and ongoing coverage of MLA Rice in North Coast Review. For whatever reasons she does not get much coverage in Northern View.

Here is a NCR article from a couple of weeks ago about a speech where she surveyed several issues, including housing, training and LNG. She also noted that the governing Liberals have been “belittling” the NDP. I’m not sure what she’s getting at there. In any event: < northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … s-and.html >.

[quote=“BTravenn”]There has been pretty thorough and ongoing coverage of MLA Rice in North Coast Review. For whatever reasons she does not get much coverage in Northern View.

Here is a NCR article from a couple of weeks ago about a speech where she surveyed several issues, including housing, training and LNG. She also noted that the governing Liberals have been “belittling” the NDP. I’m not sure what she’s getting at there. In any event: < northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … s-and.html >.[/quote]

Kudos again “BTravenn”. That certainly is more informative than “no one previously has accomplished anything”. If our local press is remiss in covering our MLA maybe that should be discussed in a new topic. My personal conclusion is that this town voted for the wrong representative in Victoria at the wrong time in our history. By their own admission they are powerless to effect change, but it is what it is. As a constituent I feel entitled to examine the motives and intentions of all elected officials whether I voted for them or not.

What has she done to promote Prince Rupert, and I don’t mean post photos on facebook and twitter, and what solutions has she proposed in her capacity as critic? I’m saying this in a calm collected voice.

What does “promote Prince Rupert” have to do with being an MLA? First, that’s the job of the mayor and council. They have the specific role of promoting the city. Second, DWhite has outlined what she’s been doing and proposing.

To reiterate: she is proposing a bus service along Hwy 16 to protect women in need of an emergency exit from their community. She has stood against a dangerous proposal to build an LNG termianl on a salmon migratory route. She has stood for the BG Group proposal. And she questions the lack of concrete action taken by the Housing minister despite the growing need for social/affordable housing in Prince Rupert.

I don’t know what you want from an opposition MLA, but she isn’t going to tell the BC Libs how to do what they ought to be doing.

I think you need a better understanding how modern governance works.

[quote=“uartz1949”]

[quote=“BTravenn”]There has been pretty thorough and ongoing coverage of MLA Rice in North Coast Review. For whatever reasons she does not get much coverage in Northern View.

Here is a NCR article from a couple of weeks ago about a speech where she surveyed several issues, including housing, training and LNG. She also noted that the governing Liberals have been “belittling” the NDP. I’m not sure what she’s getting at there. In any event: < northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … s-and.html >.[/quote]

Kudos again “BTravenn”. That certainly is more informative than “no one previously has accomplished anything”. If our local press is remiss in covering our MLA maybe that should be discussed in a new topic. My personal conclusion is that this town voted for the wrong representative in Victoria at the wrong time in our history. By their own admission they are powerless to effect change, but it is what it is. As a constituent I feel entitled to examine the motives and intentions of all elected officials whether I voted for them or not.[/quote]

Maybe we can talk about it here. Why is Todd Hamilton openly ignoring the local MLA?

I don’t know what you want from an opposition MLA, but she isn’t going to tell the BC Libs how to do what they ought to be doing.

I think you need a better understanding how modern governance works.

She isn’t?

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]

Maybe we can talk about it here. Why is Todd Hamilton openly ignoring the local MLA?[/quote]

That’s a good question. Maybe MLA Rice would get more coverage if she bought some ads in his newspaper.

With Russia and China making a big gas deal it is unlikely anyone will need to worry about any new LNG plants in Canada.

It so unlikely any of the speculation will ever materialize

I just wish some official word would come as I am getting tired of the speculation regarding projects that are years away if at all … the toll it is taking in stress of higher rents etc is hard on a lot of people

[quote=“uartz1949”]I don’t know what you want from an opposition MLA, but she isn’t going to tell the BC Libs how to do what they ought to be doing.

I think you need a better understanding how modern governance works.[/quote]

She isn’t?

Not specifically, and you get my meaning. Bottom line, you just aren’t paying attention. She posts enough on her twitter account, she speaks up often in the leg. If the Northern View doesn’t want to cover her, that says a lot about the paper and less about the MLA.

You’re either a BC Lib cheerleader or you have unreasonable expectations of what a rural opposition MLA can accomplish by simply pointing out things.

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]

[quote=“uartz1949”]I don’t know what you want from an opposition MLA, but she isn’t going to tell the BC Libs how to do what they ought to be doing.

I think you need a better understanding how modern governance works.[/quote]

She isn’t?[/quote]

Not specifically, and you get my meaning. Bottom line, you just aren’t paying attention. She posts enough on her twitter account, she speaks up often in the leg. If the Northern View doesn’t want to cover her, that says a lot about the paper and less about the MLA.

You’re either a BC Lib cheerleader or you have unreasonable expectations of what a rural opposition MLA can accomplish by simply pointing out things.

What’s the difference between a rural and urban MLA, and which one is worth more?