MLA and LNG

Does anyone know the latest on what our MLA has been doing about LNG in the riding?

kind of hoping that Lee and the other new people on council can get RIce off her butt on this issue, since some answers are only coming to come from other levels of government

Do you mean our MLA is MIA?

MLA

Er, building each terminal one brick at a time?

She hasn’t done much…while she is silent, the NDP MLA for Skeena has been making LNG the main talking point for his riding.

From the tone so far, do I feel a recall sentiment building?

[quote=“uartz1949”]

From the tone so far, do I feel a recall sentiment building?[/quote]

If there was a valid recall movement in the works…I would be actively committing to it.

MLA Rice has been in the riding in recent days, visiting Lelu Island and so on with the new NDP leader. Here is a link to a North Coast Review article that includes some selections from her scrapbook: < northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … n-see.html >.

Is this part of the famous ongoing study/review process? If so, what were her conclusions? And who heck pays for these junkets? Let me guess.

[quote=“uartz1949”]

Is this part of the famous ongoing study/review process? If so, what were her conclusions? And who heck pays for these junkets? Let me guess.[/quote]

I think that it is more a social media project. If you go to her twitter feed she has built up quite a photo album of events and activities: (left side of page < twitter.com/JenniferRice6 >. I’m not aware of any studies, reviews or conclusions though.

Not to defend Rice too vocally, but Robin Austin is the official opposition critic for BC LNG development. That’s why he will be more vocal on that issue. That’s his job. Rice can support him, but ultimately its not her role – and with such major political tenticles to this, there is no way Rice would be the lead on this as a rookie MLA.

As for recalling her, I think there are all of three people who are seriously considering this: bthedog, uartz1949 and Todd Hamilton – whose obsession and hatred for Rice runs long and deep.

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]Not to defend Rice too vocally, but Robin Austin is the official opposition critic for BC LNG development. That’s why he will be more vocal on that issue. That’s his job. Rice can support him, but ultimately its not her role – and with such major political tenticles to this, there is no way Rice would be the lead on this as a rookie MLA.

As for recalling her, I think there are all of three people who are seriously considering this: bthedog, uartz1949 and Todd Hamilton – whose obsession and hatred for Rice runs long and deep.[/quote]

Many of Austin’s remarks have been in the form of trying to gain benefits from LNG for his riding. I understand he is the critic, but this does NOT mean Rice gets a pass. LNG is a huge issue in her riding and despite her personal feelings towards it, she should be relentless in her advocating for this riding to reap as much reward as possible since the industry itself will be largely located on the North Coast.

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]Not to defend Rice too vocally, but Robin Austin is the official opposition critic for BC LNG development. That’s why he will be more vocal on that issue. That’s his job. Rice can support him, but ultimately its not her role – and with such major political tenticles to this, there is no way Rice would be the lead on this as a rookie MLA.

As for recalling her, I think there are all of three people who are seriously considering this: bthedog, uartz1949 and Todd Hamilton – whose obsession and hatred for Rice runs long and deep.[/quote]

As for recalling MLA Rice it’s not going to happen unless she makes a major blunder in the future which is pretty hard to do if you’re not really doing much anyways. I remember over hearing our second premier from Prince Rupert saying they (NDP) could run Mickey/Minnie Mouse here and they would get elected. It just peeves me that all politicians go on these fact finding missions just to be seen doing something when in reality there’s not much point to it. You can go on the web and garner more knowledge that way like “bthedog” does. Just out of curiosity does someone know how to find how much this media event cost us?

[quote=“uartz1949”]
Just out of curiosity does someone know how to find how much this media event cost us?[/quote]

MLA Rice’s October and November expenses have not been posted yet, but when they are it should be pretty easy to match the event to the dates and costs: < bcndpcaucus.ca/the-team/members- … -expenses/ >.

[quote=“uartz1949”]

As for recalling MLA Rice it’s not going to happen unless she makes a major blunder in the future which is pretty hard to do if you’re not really doing much anyways. I remember over hearing our second premier from Prince Rupert saying they (NDP) could run Mickey/Minnie Mouse here and they would get elected. It just peeves me that all politicians go on these fact finding missions just to be seen doing something when in reality there’s not much point to it. You can go on the web and garner more knowledge that way like “bthedog” does. Just out of curiosity does someone know how to find how much this media event cost us?[/quote]

Media event? Please. Wasn’t even covered by the local media.

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]

Media event? Please. Wasn’t even covered by the local media.[/quote]

I think that ‘media’ increasingly refers to social media, eg < twitter.com/hashtag/LeluIsland?src=hash >.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]

Media event? Please. Wasn’t even covered by the local media.[/quote]

I think that ‘media’ increasingly refers to social media, eg < twitter.com/hashtag/LeluIsland?src=hash >.[/quote]

So in that case you don’t have to respond to any journalists questions, which means no scrutiny from the electorate. Is that the new openness ?

Or it could be that the media just doesn’t care…i mean it is not like Horgan or Rice have any real power…they don’t…not with a Liberal majority and both parties totally unwilling to work with each other.

This trip = a big waste of time, it truly is a “non” event. Until we start sending MLA’s to Victoria that are on the side of government (and for this riding that seems to be almost always a big fat never because the NDP never win), we will continue to have MLA’s that produce no results and gets us absolutely nothing. It’s the same process over and over…we elect an NDP and the Liberals win, we then bitch for 3 years how we get nothing, we are forgotten, all the cuts happen here ect ect. It is obvious to see why we have no voice, why the province does not care to help this city with infrastructure ect. We can all complain that this may not be right, that the government should be serving everyone equally, but that is just a load of crap and will never be (and never has) been the way government works in this province.

I really do wonder how much different things might be around here this time around with a BC Liberal MLA.

[quote=“uartz1949”]

[quote=“BTravenn”]

I think that ‘media’ increasingly refers to social media, eg < twitter.com/hashtag/LeluIsland?src=hash >.

So in that case you don’t have to respond to any journalists questions, which means no scrutiny from the electorate. Is that the new openness ?[/quote]

Sometimes journalists like George T Baker comment through their own twitter feeds, but the discussion can be hard to follow for sure and the format limits the depth. Perhaps that is why politicians are increasingly communicating through twitter.

The counter-trend seems to be that some MSM, eg CBC, are increasingly incorporating twitter quotes into their reporting.

Twitter seems to be good for posting photos though.