Melvin Christison Murder (was: What's going on downtown?)

My sincere sympathy to all the families involved in this tragedy.
Perhaps with the charge being manslaughter, the word murder could be removed from the heading of this thread?

Oh I see, Mr. Christison wasn’t murdered, he was manslaughtered.

Geez, manslaughter is a legal term for murder without prior intent. A spur of the moment act. But it’s still murder.

My deepest sympathies go out to the families.  A terrible tragedy!

My deepest sympathies to both families.

I second that.

These pictures look like they are from East Hasting in Vancouver.

Well that whole part of town is looking more like the Downtown Eastside, with all the crackheads coming out more and more to try and get dollars to score their poison. I am disgusted knowing that this exact building or apartments is also housing what is supposed to be a dropin center for the youth. I believe that the place should be shut down and those kids from the so-called Hub should be allowed to be in a safer place and not be made to grow in this kind of scene. The Friendship house should be more respoinsible when it comes to tyhese young lives. Plus I counted 27 empty storefronts just on that street and you can not tell me there was no better place to house them. What was wrong with Rev. Peter and the work he was doing with them? They the kids were very close to this man and now they have this to look at. Ever hear of hanging a carrot in front of a horse well this is putting these kids and many good kids at risk of the shitty crack world.

Well said Justin Case and all so true…You have to feel compassion for these kids who are trying so hard, fighting insurmountable obstacles at times just getting through the day and then have this to deal with on a daily basis and for what, the luxury of having a SAFE, clean environment to gather with their friends. The reasons for relocating these kids seem to be financial ones as far as I have heard and they are suffering from this. Who will help them erase the memory of being locked down for 4 hours in their “Safe” place while the police conducted their murder investigation the other night? My opinion only, they should move their drop in center somewhere more desireable, if there is such a place, maybe somewhere away from the downtown core but with easy access for all concerned.  Perfect place and it is up for sale (but maybe could be leased out) is the old store on McBride, across the street from the cop shop.  All the buses stop in that vicinity and of course is within walking distance anyway. I wonder if there is a way that some idea like this could be possible?  Maybe if we, as a community, could come together on this and I know some great folks in town are already questioning and proposing ideas, something could be given to these kids.  Let them feel safe and secure at a time when they have enough to contend with in their lives.  It doesn’t seem so much to ask for, does it?

Hey should put it next to Seasport in Cow Bay.

Oh no, that area is far too dangerous for children to be in…

For sure someone must pass a joke, I do believe there should be space somewhere in the metro of Rupert. There is the question of money back there and I must say it now , what part of the money? Is it off the top or is it for the kids? I was told by some of the young kids that there are at least five so called workers but is that not an expense? I think these kids do deserve much more and I would ask the Board of the Friendship House to start calling the shots and question certain moves being made. I do not believe that these programs should be money makers for anyone connected. It should be Kids are our Future resources and not Kid for a Profit. Some individuals are getting rich on peoples misery. I will be very vocal on this one because after twenty years I still believe in the youth of Prince Rupert.

Someone e-mailed me a nasty little note asking that we stop talking about Melvin Christison’s murder.  The last post on this thread was 10 days ago, so we have stopped talking about Melvin Christison’s murder.

But I just thought I would bring up the case again, because this person who e-mailed me certainly seemed insistent that we stop talking about it.

For those who haven’t read the thread yet, you can start at the beginning here:
hackingthemainframe.com/smf/inde … 703.0.html

So, should we stop talking about a murder in our community?  Should we not mention that Annalee Auckland has been charged with the murder?

I assume that this person has also contacted the Daily News, the Northern View, and the Vancouver Sun to demand that they hush it up as well?

ಠ_ಠ Huh?

We haven’t talked about the murder for awhile, and that poster in the wasteland went bat shit ballistic 10 days later.

I have to ask what’s his/her relations to the murder and those involved.

I guess we now know why the Daily News wasn’t published on Monday.  They probably had an article about how Annalee Auckland was charged with murdering Melvin Christison, and some guy called them up and asked them to Shut the F Up. 

This seems very odd to me.  Why is this individual so upset?  :confused: 
The first homicide in 5 years is a newsworthy item.  People will be curious about this event.

A murder charge is a matter of public record and a trial will be held in public. Any citizen can observe so long as they maintain proper decorum in court. I can see that the public nature of the process could be troubling to family and friends.

The theory is that society as a whole has an interest in the matter. An irony, perhaps, is that (leaving aside the special circumstances of children) the accused also has a right to a public trial. If they are acquitted or there are mitigating factors that reduce the sentence, that is made known to the public. Also, criminal trials are held in public to better ensure that the proceedings will be fair and just. That is a human right of the accused that is not always observed in many unhappy countries. Only in exceptional circumstances do closed door processes inspire confidence.

While in some respects the process is and should be public, in other respects excessive discussion or speculation about the persons involved or alleged facts, or arguments with those who are personally connected to events or persons, raise the possibility that, if there is a jury trial, the court will have difficulty finding jurors who are able to properly discharge their duties as fair and impartial finders of the facts. The presumption of innocence must be protected.

There is a point where too much exercise of free speech becomes contemptuous of the process, even if unintentionally. I have not followed these events closely, nor have I re-read the previous thread, although I know people who know or knew the persons involved. My recollection of the Northern View article is that it was appropriately temperate and factual; professionally written. I am sure that coverage in the Daily News would meet the same high standard.

Not often, but on occasion, journalists have been called to appear in court to be held accountable for their coverage of criminal proceedings and to receive stern warnings - indeed I recall that happening in the local court house here many years ago.

In my view, this is a public forum and, as the moderators have often pointed out in the context of the laws of defamation, posters should not assume that they will remain anonymous. Posters and the moderators will have to exercise their own judgment about whether they wish to continue this thread, but get it wrong and they may find that judgment is exercised against them. This is my first and last post on a thread entitled “Melvin Christison Murder”.

I received an email also Mig…I guess regarding my reply to the initial post but I don’t recall posting anything inflammatory, I actually agreed with one of their grievances regarding posting the web page of the lady accused.  I did think that was very unfair. Oh well, their day in the sun, I suppose.  Sure stirred up interest and debate about the case.          Thank you Hitest for locking the topic earlier though, they were mean to little old me… :cry:  

You funseekers have it all wrong, she was charged with manslaughter. Lets stick with the story in case we are called upon to defend our words.

First of all the biggest problem in this forum about the topic is very well seen. People add on and on and on and make very hurtful judgments and wrongful accusations. No wonder this person was so upset. Yes people are going to talk about it there is no stopping them but this person I guess was trying to set people striaght by pointing out their wrong doings and sayings. This person obviously cares…They have every right to be angry if they are connected with the family. I know I would be, that’s for sure. I also agree 100% with Justin Case! Very well said