Massive earthquake hits Japan

Ya it’s a totally different, with the same outcome. :frowning:

The reactors at Fukishima Daiichi are many times the size of the Chernobyl reactor. Also, there are three which are poised to meltdown. Various so called “experts” from varying countries around the globe are “fearing the worst.”

Also, with the most recent evacuation of the last of the 800 employees (approx. 50) news agencies are speculating this is the “throwing in the towel” action.

In all seriousness, with Harper noting “Canadians face zero risk of radiation contamination,” I’m more tense than ever. Obviously it’s a global worry and concern, but being on the West coast, 6599 KM’s away from Japan just doesn’t feel far enough from the epicenter given the size and number of reactors ready to go to meltdown.

And in all of this, I have to say: “My heart goes out to the Japanese.” -They’ve survived one of the largest quakes in recorded history, only to be smashed by one of the largest tsunami’s in a 1000 years. Still they perservere only to fight for survival in sub-zero and zero-degree weather while being radiated and facing nuclear meltdown and full contamination.

EDIT: AND…a massive volcano eruption.

Terrible.

I think we need to keep a perspective about the amount of radiation here.

How much bigger was Hiroshima and Nagasaki, with airborne explosions of more radioactive material? Probably millions of times the radiation, exploded in the sky. How many people died in BC because of that?

Now you have radiation levels equivalent to 7 or 8 chest x-rays at the reactor site. It’s dangerous for workers for sure, and for people directly exposed. But those who think there’s a big cloud of radiation headed our way aren’t correct, sorry. Even a total meltdown wouldn’t produce a tiny fraction of the radiation amount that airborne nuclear explosions have produced.

The truth is that there is probably more naturally-occuring radiation outside your house right now, in the soil, than you could ever expect to be carried over the pacific from 1000 millisieverts, 6000 kms away.

[quote=“MiG”]I think we need to keep a perspective about the amount of radiation here.

The truth is that there is probably more naturally-occuring radiation outside your house right now, in the soil, than you could ever expect to be carried over the pacific from 1000 millisieverts, 6000 kms away.[/quote]

Sorry MiG, but with all due respect, I have to call ‘Bullshit’ on this one, I’m not buying this theory, but I am a little bit of a skeptic.

[quote=“chaos”]

[quote=“MiG”]I think we need to keep a perspective about the amount of radiation here.

The truth is that there is probably more naturally-occuring radiation outside your house right now, in the soil, than you could ever expect to be carried over the pacific from 1000 millisieverts, 6000 kms away.[/quote]

Sorry MiG, but with all due respect, I have to call ‘Bullshit’ on this one, I’m not buying this theory, but I am a little bit of a skeptic.[/quote]

A little bit?

Check it out:

boingboing.net/2011/03/16/bo … -chat.html

plume trackers
I’m not a meterologist so I have no idea how accurate they are.

This one is out of Belguim
aeronomie.be/multimedia/vide … imated.gif

This website appears to be updated regularly…but I cant read German
zamg.ac.at/display.php?imgPa … Height=596

Oddly I couldnt find one from Japan, Canada or the US, at least not written in plain english for all to understand. I would like to see a better forecast come out from a credible source (that I can understand), as I dont necessarily believe all the panic driven blogs that I’ve come across over the past couple days…alot of them seem to be driving people to prepare for the end of the world, and causing unnecessary panic.

I’m also curious to know what sort of affect this will have on oceanlife, if anyone comes across a legit article - please share!! Thanks :smile:

predicting earthquakes, apparently this guy did by a couple days in 1989!!
Mar 19 is this Sat…get your kits ready just to be safe. If he’s wrong, you are still prepared!!

Coincidentally the clockwise theory did pan out to some degree, there was an earthquake in Alaska yesterday 4.1.

Maybe there will be a magnitude 10 in the center now? eeK

Japan raises nuclear alert level to 5 (using a seven point scale) which is on par with the Three Mile incident in 1979.

Japan raises nuclear alert level

More radiation monitors head to B.C.

Health Canada is deploying nine more radiation-monitoring devices to B.C. in the wake of Japan’s nuclear reactor crisis.

news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc- … d=28053968

As always xkcd is right on the money:

@CHART

Touche’ scholarly sir, touche’!

And no, cellular phones (and wifi!) don’t produce ionizing radiation. Unless they’re bananaphones.