Massive earthquake hits Japan

My daugther is on Kauai, one of the Hawaiian island right now. I guess they are safe as their immediate location is 8 miles from the coast at the base of a mountain. She is part of a Habitat for Humanity group.

Just to give a report from the ground, so to speak.

I live in south Ibaraki, which is about 500 km from the epicenter (Iwate Prefecture). I was sitting in the staff room at my school when the main quake hit. At first, it felt like just any other quake I’ve felt over the years, but after about five seconds, I realized this one was going to be different. Most earthquakes I’ve felt just rattle and vibrate, but with this one, the ground started to actually sway. Once it started getting strong enough that the whole building started to shake, the staff got on the P.A. and told everyone to get under their desks. After the shaking stopped, we evacuated the school. Eventually, the students were sent home, but told to avoid narrow roads, and to be careful of falling roof tiles and broken glass.

When I got home, I found a bunch of stuff had fallen on the floor. Nothing too valuable got broken, and so far my place seems OK. But there’s no water, and so everyone’s gone out in a panic to buy all the bottled water they can get their hands on–there’s NONE left in any of the stores now.

The only real damage I’ve seen was to a couple of houses that were already in pretty rough shape, and one sidewalk now has a huge crack in it. Of course, the further north you go, the worse the damage.

The roads are all clogged with cars, and most of the train stations in Tokyo are packed with people trying to get home because all the trains are stopped. The phone lines are jammed with people trying to call others–I had to call repeatedly to get through to my in-laws. Fortunately, all the major cell phone carriers have emergency response messaging systems in place to get messages to everyone in disasters like this

Hopefully things will start getting back to normal over here in the next few days, though we’re still getting aftershocks even six hours later.

Good to hear from you Stardog. Stay safe.

Well if they ever get around to advising us in any kind of official nature, it should end up here

princerupert.ca/

Of course, it would seem that since the first little waves are set to arrive at about 7 am or so, it may all be over by then.

till then, maybe this can help

pep.bc.ca/tsunami_BCbulletins.html

[quote=“Stardog Champion”]Just to give a report from the ground, so to speak.

I live in south Ibaraki, which is about 500 km from the epicenter (Iwate Prefecture). I was sitting in the staff room at my school when the main quake hit. At first, it felt like just any other quake I’ve felt over the years, but after about five seconds, I realized this one was going to be different. Most earthquakes I’ve felt just rattle and vibrate, but with this one, the ground started to actually sway. Once it started getting strong enough that the whole building started to shake, the staff got on the P.A. and told everyone to get under their desks. After the shaking stopped, we evacuated the school. Eventually, the students were sent home, but told to avoid narrow roads, and to be careful of falling roof tiles and broken glass.

When I got home, I found a bunch of stuff had fallen on the floor. Nothing too valuable got broken, and so far my place seems OK. But there’s no water, and so everyone’s gone out in a panic to buy all the bottled water they can get their hands on–there’s NONE left in any of the stores now.

The only real damage I’ve seen was to a couple of houses that were already in pretty rough shape, and one sidewalk now has a huge crack in it. Of course, the further north you go, the worse the damage.

The roads are all clogged with cars, and most of the train stations in Tokyo are packed with people trying to get home because all the trains are stopped. The phone lines are jammed with people trying to call others–I had to call repeatedly to get through to my in-laws. Fortunately, all the major cell phone carriers have emergency response messaging systems in place to get messages to everyone in disasters like this

Hopefully things will start getting back to normal over here in the next few days, though we’re still getting aftershocks even six hours later.[/quote]

it’s good to hear you. and yours are okay Stardog. I was thinking of you last night when I heard the news. My thoughts are with you and with the country you call home. <3

The worst may be yet to come, as there are several damaged nuclear reactors in the wake of the quake, which could be very troublesome for the area. Also reports of the quake being so severe that the shift of weight could have slightly skewed the earth of it’s axis of rotation? Possible very far reaching and significant consequences here?

Not to sound paranoid but, I’ve seen two dead birds in the last three days, one on the bridge near the Civic Centre and the other on second avenue. Post here if you see dead birds with their location. Projected wind patterns show British Columbia taking up 750RADS of radiation if X reactors were to fail.

Yeah. I just saw a gentleman remove the bird on the bridge when I was driving by.

It’s good to be paranoid about dead birds. It might be the west nile virus, though I’m not sure if it’s found here.

Could also be the kids that have been seen popping them with pellet guns around the area, lately at Rushbrook popping off seagulls !

I thought all the dead birds before the earthquake were because of the government spraying mind-control chemicals from airplanes? I’ve seen lots of dead birds before the earthquake. But I guess now that we’re looking for them, the bias-confirmation will kick in.

Meanwhile, themoderatevoice.com/103674/expl … chernobyl/

Japan isn’t Chernobyl. Even a total meltdown, which isn’t going to happen, wouldn’t lead to airborne radiation. The things just aren’t designed that way.

We should have “equalizer” teams moving around the city once in a while with high-velocity paintball guns and RAP4 pepper-filled rounds to nail little %@!&%s like that. Take a few rounds like that in the back of the head and you’ll think twice next time. lmao./

Were there reports that they were already releasing radiated steam into the atmosphere with “small amounts of radiation” as a result of trying to keep the reactors cool. Am I wrong or incorrect on this one?

Just listening to CBC radio this morning, interviews with eye witnesses and technical experts, and not to exagerate the issue or encourage more conspiracy theories, but the concensus seems to be that the governments and various agencies and media are severly ‘downplaying’ any potential health risks, from these recent explosions and resulting fallout. They wouldn’t do that would they …?

[quote=“MiG”]I

Japan isn’t Chernobyl. Even a total meltdown, which isn’t going to happen, wouldn’t lead to airborne radiation. The things just aren’t designed that way.[/quote]

Great link MiG, thanks man.
listening to nuclear experts in Japan who seem to disagree with this? They are of the opinion that if the fuel rods are exposed the resulting effect would be the same.?
The containment safeguards in the structural design have possibly been seriously compramised by explosions, and may not be as good as thought and have never been fully tested.
Either way there remains many unknowns, and no shortage of speculation, even among the ‘experts’.
Very scary stuff with global signifigance.

I get a bad [conspiracy hat on] feeling about the whole nuclear situation.

I just seen the external explosions of the two reactor’s structures in Japan. I’m kind of at a loss for words. So like a typical worry-wart would do, I looked up the Chernobyl incident. That was a bad idea.

Are we really prepared to believe that people and governments in 1986 were so much different from us that we couldn’t possibly be lied to again like that, in 2011? I don’t recall people being any different in 1986 [other than big hair and terrible branding on all the clothes].

I have to admit, I find rather disheartening to hear a news caster say: “Reports are that they have released radioactive vapor into the atmosphere to relieve the pressure but this poses no risk to the public at all.” And in the meantime today at Fukishima Daiichi Reactor #2, a “hydrogen explosion” wink wink rocked the plant. The reactors at Fukishima Daiichi are reported to be many times larger than Chernobyl.

Here’s reactor #1

Here’s reactor #2

Really? Come on no really??? Twitter? Potential nuclear fallout and plea for internation assistance in a nuclear crisis…on…TWITTER. At least Facebook it.

I think awareness, people’s awareness as a far reaching awareness/warning system will help ensure all of our safety. Forget about all the public programming and the “No need to panic…” “It’s of no worry” sentiments and be aware. Vigilant and aware.

I have kids, so this really worries me.

:smile:

I came across this site, nirs.org

Some of you may find it interesting, they have been following the nuclear emergency in Japan.

Another update.

Radiation fears after Japan blast

And for those on our side of the ocean, a little less watching of CNN/FOX et al, perhaps?

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … ml?ref=rss

Reports out of Japan this morning they have made a decision to evacuate the area up to 200 KM’s around Fukushima now, so much for the ‘no danger’ stance. They should have started this evacuation much sooner, and not have waited until everyone in the area was already exposed.