Massive earthquake hits Japan

Hopes and prayers go out to the people of Japan.

saying is a 8.9 mega earthquake,watching it on CNN is terifying.
Huge waves coming in one after another.

i am watching it as well its just so terrifying and sad for the families.

Imagine a tsunami warning/alert will be issued for our area in the next couple hours.

Do you think so? I was wondering.

They just stated on the BCTV news that there is not a warning for the BC coast.

imagine will be in a few hours,is so far away they dont issue anything until it is within a few hours

thanks

Was worried, thought we might get a tsunami warning

yes I was worried to very worried I have lots of family on the Island visiting this weekend.

HONOLULU (AP) — The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii has widened its tsunami warning to include Hawaii and the rest of the Pacific Ocean.

The warning issued Thursday at 9:31 HST follows a massive earthquake that has struck off the northeastern coast of Japan. It says the estimated earliest arrive of the first tsunami wave is 2:59 a.m. HST Friday.

Tsunami warnings are issued due to the imminent threat of a tsunami.

HONOLULU — The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii has widened its tsunami warning to include Hawaii and the rest of the Pacific Ocean.

Sirens were sounded in Honolulu shortly after the warning was issued Thursday at 9:31 HST p.m.

The warning follows a massive earthquake that has struck off the northeastern coast of Japan. It says the estimated earliest arrival in Hawaii of the first tsunami wave is 2:59 a.m. HST Friday.

The warning also includes Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and Central and South America. The coast of North America is not included in the warning.

Tsunami warnings are issued due to the imminent threat of a tsunami.

Wonder what they classify as imminent?

The US West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Centre said that any tsunami generated by the earthquake off the coast of Japan would hit Hawaii at around 2.45am (12.45pm GMT) and the US West Coast at 7.45am (3.45pm GMT).

Any possible way we’ll be affected up here in the north?

On CNN they have reported that over 50 countries are affected by the tsunami warning now.

wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/2011/03/11/l … pd9-01.txt
wcatwc.arh

[quote=“AndrewMorgan444”]

Any possible way we’ll be affected up here in the north?[/quote]

Think our harbour is to deep for much to happen here. Places like Port Alberni are at risk because they are at the end of a long shallow inlet.

Rupert being on the list should we be doing anything to prepare?

Does it really matter that our harbour’s deep?

[quote=“AndrewMorgan444”]Rupert being on the list should we be doing anything to prepare?

Does it really matter that our harbour’s deep?[/quote]

I am not a tsunami expert, but tsunamis have the most effect in shallow water because it can drain most of the water ,and then push it back in rapidily,so is basically like going from real low tide to extreme high tide in a matter of minutes

Wheres our emergency response team isnt that what our mayor promised after our big storm!