Lowering the voting age to 16...?

I haven’t read the whole thread, but my 2 cents is that I think it’s fine where it is now. I look back when I was 16 and I was alot more influenced by my parents, so I think keeping it at 18 is a good idea to avoid it. I don’t think it has anything to do with maturaty though.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/guiltbya.html

so just cuz your a pussy who listens (ed?) to his mom, all 16 year olds shouldnt be able to vote.

wrong.

Game. Set. Match.

[quote=“Dementia Pugulistica”]
Being old doesn’t make you smart, Bush is a great example. I know a lot of folks well past 16 that vote the way they do because their parents did. Being young doesn’t make you stupid either, however with age comes wisdom, to some, **whereas 16 year olds have a rather volatile brain chemistry that is much more succeptable to influence via media and the likes. ** [/quote]

back that up.

no,
not like a truck backing up
unless its a truck, backing up to the htmf loading dock, all full of FACTS.

Well, there are limits to everything. It just so happen that most people in this society think that the limit has to be 18 for this particular issue. Lowering it to 16, although popular amongst young people, isn’t really a priority amongst older ones. And with the neo-conservatism that is so pervasive in North America, I doubt that the political organizations that would be receptive to such a change have time to think about that.

I think that someone could vote at 16. However, I think that there should be some kind of mandatory course (like for driving) on citizenship to show young people what are rights, responsibilities and privileges. Those who would successfully complete the course could vote. The others could wait until they are 18.

why not have everyone write it.
or.
ooh gasp. have a class on civics in school?

hey bigthumb…have you read “the end of education” by neil postman?

[quote=“molten universe”]http://www.fallacyfiles.org/guiltbya.html

so just cuz your a pussy who listens (ed?) to his mom, all 16 year olds shouldnt be able to vote.

wrong.[/quote]

K, well, someone didn’t like the last post I had so lets try this again…
Why would I be a pussy for listening to my parents? And is not even about listening, it’s about influence, that doesn’t have to be verbal, its through body language.

you’re a pussy if you’re having your political beliefs being unduly influenced by your parents.

body language??? did they hit you when you used your left hand or something? brainwashing you through semaphore? i dont get it.

if your parents were seriously using body language to influence you poltically… http://kidshelp.sympatico.ca/en/

or maybe i dont get it. or maybe you didnt get your post across. you’re still committing a fallacy in my books.

[quote=“molten universe”]why not have everyone write it.
or.
ooh gasp. have a class on civics in school?

hey bigthumb…have you read “the end of education” by neil postman?[/quote]

Everyone could write it. But the slackers would have to wait a few more years to vote. This would give merit to those 16 years old who understand what it means to vote.

Although I’m a teacher, I don’t think school would be the best place. There is enough criticism of the school system without involving politics into it. Maybe the court system could do this.
No I haven’t read the book you mention. I am not as well read as I would like to be. ( slow reader combined with a procrastinator!)
Is it good? I’ll check it out. I like non-fiction better.

Funny go there with the kidshelp, maybe you should actually take that seriously, no joke. Body language in a positive way. Quite the opposite of hitting. I guess it’s just when parents give a damn about what their kids to it’s sends a good vibe in the house. Relating that to politics, a lot of kids are very oppressed by their parents, whipped to follow every command. I see that first hand here, a lot of kids are on the phone crying home to mommy and daddy cause they can’t handle themselves. Basically, what I am trying to say is that alot of parents (not mine) can be overly oppresive and when a 16 year old kid living at home asks his/her parents about the different parties, their is going to be bias or even outright flamage of any party that opposes the parents, leading to influence on the children.

Sorry for the long post, hope it clears mr. universe’s feeling of my ‘fallic’ arguement.

phallic. hehheh. i wasnt calling you a dickhead!

I’m not sure I see parents being that big of an influence on their children, politically as you see it. The issue is probably somewhere in the middle, my viewpoint is shaded towards children being independant, as I was, and maybe yours skews the other way.

:laughing: That phallic thing, I guess that’s what I get for posting at 2 am.
And I recall a time prior to an election asking my rents which part is the best, or something along that lines. I do recall getting a very biased response, so there is some influence, how great I guess depends on the home.

Speaking of politics, I hafta get ready, going to see Jack Layton talk today somewhere on campus.

In my experience most teenagers tend to rebel away from the views of their parents, politically and otherwise. With lots of exceptions and variables. I’ve had 2 teenagers who at 16 were more intelligent and emotionally mature than a lot of adults I know (myself included at times) so why not let them vote if they care enough to they should be allowed Lots won’t want to any way. Shit lots of countries have fought wars to win the right to have free elections and about half the population of this country can’t be bothered to vote, what’s wrong with this picture?

I think that another main issue, is that people of that age are quite easily influenced.

Example:

Mr. Candidate writes:
“If you elect me, I will make school lockers twice as big!”

Mr. 16-Year-Old Voter writes:
“Hey guys, lets all vote for him and get bigger lockers.”

Exaggeration, but I think it gets the point across.

If you allow me a quote modification ( I forgot the right term).

[quote=“dylan”]I think that another main issue, is that people of any age are quite easily influential.

Example:

Mr. Candidate writes:
“If you elect me, I will cut taxes!”

Mr. Voter writes:
“Hey guys, lets all vote for him and get lower taxes.”

[/quote]

This argument doesn’t really fly.

i think politics should be taught in schools, and teachers should try to be impartial. better than dumping people into the world with no knowledge of how things work or who represents what.
i get depressed hearing young people and their “they should, they did, they won’t let you…” and not realizing they’re part of the ‘them’…
I just managed to raise my last thru 16 & 17. No i don’t agree with letting them vote. Didn’t you read Lord of the Flies and Logan’s Run?.. :laughing:

Excellent point big thumb, and quite obviously true, just look at all the people that were influenced into voting for bush, not once but twice, such an obvious idiot to any one with half a brain.

Hmm. Maybe they should change it so that instead of having a list of candidates in front of you to choose from, you get a blank list and have to fill in the names yourself. It would take longer to count them (what with all the votes for Brittany Spears and such) but at least then it would force those who want to make thier vote count to at least pay attention a bit…hehe :laughing:

Oh wait… I know how to get better voter turn out AND make it fun. On the bottom of the ballot put a scratch and win for prizes. :open_mouth:

CrazyMike

I interrupt this discussion for Steak and Blowjob Day.

I dont think 16 year olds should Vote… like that could help #'s and what not but i think that it’d be a bad Idea how many 16 year olds know politics and whatnot… Im sure some or alot do but what about the ones that know nothing that would vote for the coolest name… voting is a privlage and somthing we should do when we get the chance… I was never big into politics till i got the enablement to vote… Now i enjoy voting and whatnot to state what I belive is fair and whatnot… I just don’t belive most 16 year olds are mature enough to take the whole matter serious…