Longshore Hiring

Anyone in the lineup for the Longshore lottery today? I hadn’t heard about it until today but am wondering how it went and how people heard about it.

They changed the “Limited Applications being given out at 10:00 Jan 19th” to “Tickets to be given out and be drawn for applications” a couple days ago. Stings a little when you’re there at 7:30 AM and willing to brave the cold for a guaranteed application. Apparently there were people there at 5:00 AM. By 6:00 AM they had given out alot of tickets as well.

At any rate, congrats to those who got em. There were hundreds of people that turned out for a chance. The turnout really says alot to the need for work in Prince Rupert.

They wound up handing out 1100 tickets.

i am sure it was not just rupertites there. terrace etc has employment problems as well . in any town in canada there would be a huge turn out for a chance at a great and well paying job. to either get a job or a better paying job like im sure lots were doing. congrats to whoever passes the tests and gets a number.

Well if some people weren’t pulled out of line a half hour before and given an application before anyone else besides the fact that other people had their entire family getting them the GOLDEN TICKET, willy wonka might have stood a chance in getting somewhere in the farce of a job lottery!
It was ridiculous that one guy is standing there with with 5-6 tickets another with 20…A regular guy can’t get a job…the only people getting jobs are all family members who already have Good full time jobs…leave some jobs for the rest of us!!!
What ever happened to the good old days when people could go with their resumes and fill out an application and get HIRED on their own MERIT!!!
If the lottery is ever going to work one ticket per person with the actual person who stood in line was the one verified to get the application…GET A TICKET SIGN YOUR NAME…OH LOOK IT MATCHES…;.

They definitely need to restructure the way they hire…I agree everyone should get to apply on their own skills!! Go Willy Wonka!!!\

[quote=“Wee-smack”]Well if some people weren’t pulled out of line a half hour before and given an application before anyone else besides the fact that other people had their entire family getting them the GOLDEN TICKET, willy wonka might have stood a chance in getting somewhere in the farce of a job lottery!
It was ridiculous that one guy is standing there with with 5-6 tickets another with 20…A regular guy can’t get a job…the only people getting jobs are all family members who already have Good full time jobs…leave some jobs for the rest of us!!!
What ever happened to the good old days when people could go with their resumes and fill out an application and get HIRED on their own MERIT!!!
If the lottery is ever going to work one ticket per person with the actual person who stood in line was the one verified to get the application…GET A TICKET SIGN YOUR NAME…OH LOOK IT MATCHES…;.[/quote]

That was certainly what I figured would happen when friends of mine told me what happened. They were willing to line up at 5:30am just for an application. Thanks to the loop holes in the lotto system, only 1 out of 4 of them got an application. So who do you want to hire… someone with the drive to get up earlier than most and stand in the cold just to apply? Or someone who wanders in later than morning and/or brings their gang of people to game the system?

It should be locals first, and definatly a different approch, becasue next time around people will be doing the same thing, every member of their family comes and gets a ticket for one person giving the general honest population the disadvantage !

and the funniest part was when i ask the guys giving out tickets,why were they doing it this way… they said it was the fairest way of doing it…but shake your head buddy!!! funny… but considering that every other place in Canada,has a HR officer, with that many employees and the resumes and apps. are looked at and weed out too get the best employees…here this way, its who cheats get rewarded… with that said i know for the most part most were honest… but still a farce none the less…next time do it like CN online and have skilled people do the honest weeding and give all a fair chance…

Ilwu will never hire like cn rail. It is a union not a company like cn who have people in postitions to hire. The union has to follow a lot of rules set out by bcmea. Who governs and employs the union. So it does not add members the same way as a company

True… But can it be done in a way that it isn’t described as a farce… simple request?.. would reflect better i think…on BCMEA’s choice on who they hired, most companies union or not hire employees first based on qualifications and testing after which the employees then become union employees!! Generally I do not have a problem with the way most lotteries are done but this lottery was a complete and utter disgrace!!! No one person should have had more than one ticket!

I was kind of stunned to hear that this was how they were choosing to hand out applications. It doesn’t make sense from an employer perspective. Why not give everyone an application and then filter out the less desireable ones? I assume they will have people write the test and do the first filtering that way. Then out of that group I assume they will have them do the physical test. Then I would assume that they would do security clearances. And then finally offer spots on the Z board to people who have passed all the above. Can anyone say that this is the process? Those jobs pay excellent wages altho it does take time to get regular shifts. You’d think there would be some employee quality control. I am still wondering what method they used to get the word out that this was taking place.

[quote=“Wee-smack”]Well if some people weren’t pulled out of line a half hour before and given an application before anyone else besides the fact that other people had their entire family getting them the GOLDEN TICKET, willy wonka might have stood a chance in getting somewhere in the farce of a job lottery!
If the lottery is ever going to work one ticket per person with the actual person who stood in line was the one verified to get the application…GET A TICKET SIGN YOUR NAME…OH LOOK IT MATCHES…;.[/quote]

I am telling you right now that is a load of shit. I know 3 of those people that went in, and out of the 3 only 1 got an application. Those people went in to witness them pulling the names. It is mandatory that atleast 6 non port workers have to be witnesses for the drawing so people like you don’t start making rumours up that it was all rigged. Wouldn’t expect anything less in prince rumours…

Dont think anyone disagrees that it was a lottery, but the fact that some had more than 1 ticket by going through the line twice, or having a family or friend who go through the line for the ticket who arent able or want to work for the port and handing their ticket to someone else is not fair. Should have had to show id and get 1 ticket associated with your name. They do it this way again going to be 200 people in their 70’s amd 80’s going through the line and giving their ticket to their grandkids.( not really but you get the jist)

[quote=“dJ_wReCkS_oNe”]

I am telling you right now that is a load of shit. I know 3 of those people that went in, and out of the 3 only 1 got an application. Those people went in to witness them pulling the names. It is mandatory that atleast 6 non port workers have to be witnesses for the drawing so people like you don’t start making rumours up that it was all rigged. Wouldn’t expect anything less in prince rumours…[/quote]

well if its a load…explain the people with extra tickets… as for the draw… not saying anything about what i didnt see… but i did see extra tickets in people hands…ticket drawn fair or not …dosen’t matter, if it wasnt fair to all…whats the point… ?????? and thanks for confirming that so called rumour, people went in and came out before the general public with apps…friends or not? still has to be done uncorrupted…if intended or not… its nice to see that who is in charge of it all ,has got game…lol NOT!!!

Calling BTavern or other smarty types

Who would one contact if they thought this was not a fair process? I seen many people with more than 1 ticket myself.

I would like to know also, since I saw several people also with multiple tickets.

I would guess at the Port office,Gary Coons, minster of labour, labour board,and the terminal operator for starter… i sent ctv, cbc, and global an e-mail… maybe some tv time would work??? if its news worthy…But at the end of it all simply thinking can fix it…by signing for your ticket or doing it like everyone else… with an HONEST effort, to make it fair for all…

calling smarty types or coons who people think will fix all isn’t gonna change a thing. whats done is done. try next time could be a different process just like it was last time . it was a process that was not just decided by the union

Ah yes it was… the question was asked “why like this” and their answer was “it was the easiest way with the amount of people.” a loto system works, but just handing out tickets without a way of controlling where they went and how many ya could get? is in question. And the smarties can change it, in their guidelines. That the union has to follow…in the 649 one set of numbers gets you the prize… seeing one guy with three tickets and walking out with the prize… while others have none ,that is another story… fair Question?